inTank Media Baskets

New Red Sea Max

RedSeaGal

hey again RSG.. long time no talk

I jsut had a catastrophe... heater got a little too hot and fried the crap out of my fish and snails today. I don't know what temp did them in but I think it was somewhere between when it rose from mid 80s to more than 90. Its depressing I feel horrible and want to never buy a fish again because of it. But holy camole yor tank is really starting to look just outstanding! Bravo to you!

Newbie Dan

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I jsut had a catastrophe... heater got a little too hot and fried the crap out of my fish and snails today. I don't know what temp did them in but I think it was somewhere between when it rose from mid 80s to more than 90. Its depressing I feel horrible and want to never buy a fish again because of it. But holy camole yor tank is really starting to look just outstanding! Bravo to you!

Newbie Dan

Don't let that discourage you from picking up the pieces and starting over. I moved my tank to a new apartment this past spring and lost 90% of my livestock in the process. With a nearly bare tank, I didn't let that stop me, but instead continued on and now have almost as much stuff as I had before the move. :) Yes it's disheartening at first, but I just couldn't let it get the best of me and walk away.

Newbie Dan

Hi Dan....THAT IS HEARBREAKING!! :tears: I am SO SORRY to hear that! I know you feel like giving up...but if you enjoy it, you should take Phixion's advice and try not to be discouraged.

What kind of heater was it? I have the problem of mine turning off, if I turn off my pumps and skimmer, it must automatically shut off the heater too, cause I get up some mornings and my temp is 73, which hasn't helped what I think is a mini crash that my tank is going through from adding too much stuff at once. Thanks for the compliment though, it would be nice to see all my stuff open up and then I might feel good about my tank too!

Let me know what you decide to do..we are always here to support you!!

HERE'S FOR YOU, DAN: :grouphug:

It sounds like you may have a faulty heater. I know the stock heaters are a bit finicky to get the temp right (small adjustment on heater = big temp change) but dropping down to 73deg can't be good for any of your livestock.

Corals should not add much in the way of bio load and can be added as fast as you can afford. As long as there's not a chemical warfare going on between non compatible corals you should be able to stack em in there. I've seen RSM's fully stocked after 2 months of the cycle completed.

Have you checked the basic water parameters lately?? (Ammonia, Nitrates) The cycle may have not been completely finished before you started adding stuff.

Hi Dan....THAT IS HEARBREAKING!! :tears: I am SO SORRY to hear that! I know you feel like giving up...but if you enjoy it, you should take Phixion's advice and try not to be discouraged.

What kind of heater was it? I have the problem of mine turning off, if I turn off my pumps and skimmer, it must automatically shut off the heater too, cause I get up some mornings and my temp is 73, which hasn't helped what I think is a mini crash that my tank is going through from adding too much stuff at once. Thanks for the compliment though, it would be nice to see all my stuff open up and then I might feel good about my tank too!

Let me know what you decide to do..we are always here to support you!!

HERE'S FOR YOU, DAN: :grouphug:

hah the group hug made me laugh. Ya at least I haven't gotten into corals yet. Well I might as well wait for a little while to restock. Hope this doesn't mess with my parameters. I refuse to quit now.

hah the group hug made me laugh. Ya at least I haven't gotten into corals yet. Well I might as well wait for a little while to restock. Hope this doesn't mess with my parameters. I refuse to quit now.

It might alter them a little, but consider it a mini cycle of sorts if they do change any. Good to hear you're sticking with it. :) Sometimes it takes situations like this to think of how necessary a controller like an ACjr. or RK2 might be... But I dunno how that would work on an RSM with everything integrated... =/ Having an ACjr myself, I have very little worry for my tank ever getting too hot or too cold. Good luck Dan!

It might alter them a little, but consider it a mini cycle of sorts if they do change any. Good to hear you're sticking with it. :) Sometimes it takes situations like this to think of how necessary a controller like an ACjr. or RK2 might be... But I dunno how that would work on an RSM with everything integrated... =/ Having an ACjr myself, I have very little worry for my tank ever getting too hot or too cold. Good luck Dan!

thanks!

So do you think that it would be safe/ wise to add a fish or CUC now since the only thing that happenned was the temp rose on me? the temp is currently at 79 which is where it usually is. Sorry to temporarily take over your thread RSG.

thanks!

So do you think that it would be safe/ wise to add a fish or CUC now since the only thing that happenned was the temp rose on me? the temp is currently at 79 which is where it usually is. Sorry to temporarily take over your thread RSG.

It should be fine as long as your params are good and temps are now stable. Good luck!

RSG, I am trying to get a number for someone that sells a RODI 3 stage system 100 gpd for about a 100 bucks. According to my friend who has this unit, it works great and he has had it for about 6 months or so. I will let you know once I get one if its worth it.

Ahh the 135G :wub: will hopefully be picked up this weekend, cant wait. I will be setting it up with about 200 lbs of live sand that was included and buying about 100 lbs of live rock (fresh from the airport) through a buddy who is in the business for a pretty good price. Plus I have about 30lbs in my AP and 50 lbs dead rock being seeded now in a rubbermaid. I am also getting his current water for which I bought 2 55G drums. Blue hippo tang that I would have to house in my AP for now, hope it survives.

As for the Aquapod, I will have to get rid of it.. hope I can recoup some of the money from it. :rolleyes:

For both RSG and Shaz, this is the the RO/DI system I have (as does ScottReimer) and we both love it!! it's the Water General RO 6102 DINT system and cost only $125 shipped to my door. B) It's a nice little 6-stage 110gph (it's really 100gph) system. Makes me a 5g bucket of 0 TDS water in a little over an 90 minutes, and 2g in exactly 35 minutes. Even after having it for almost a year, it's just barely starting to show 1 TDS now, Scott's is still showing 0 TDS however. Another great system is the Airwaterice Typhoon III system which is around $150 if I recall correctly. I don't think I'd trust any system cheaper than the Water General though.

thanks!

No Worries Dan~I don't mind at all, PLUS Phixion can really give you some good advice, he is helping me with my mini tank crash and so far it is working!! I turned my lights on today for just a bit and my stuff is more open now than ever before!! He knows his stuff! B) He will help us both get our tanks back on track! So if you have anymore questions, I don't mind..I am learning too! ;)

Hey Shaz!! Yes...I am really wanting the RODI system..the more I hear about it the more I want it! I will probably have to wait a bit though! Is this tank your Christmas present to yourself?? Or did you win the lottery?? :bling::lol: J/K!! Your 135G :wub: is going to be so much fun!! You will have to keep me updated on everything! You will be able to keep any kind of fish you want! :happydance:

Wow I really really really like how your tank is looking right now! That torch coral is pretty neat and your zoas are lookin good. It'll all open up in time, just do what Phixion tells you to lol. Sorry I didn't read back... did you add all of your corals at one time? Also as far as the RO water goes, I'm wondering just how necessary they are. Some swear their lives by them and many don't have them and their reefs are just fine. Should I get one before I add corals?

Wow, everything is looking great RSG! :) The pics are very good, excelent color in them! :D

The orange skirt zoas look almost like lunar eclipses, if so hang on to them!! They are more difficult to come by than other zoas, and they are one of my favs too. I used to have a few before the tank move. The patience has paid off, hehe. ;)

Wow I really really really like how your tank is looking right now! That torch coral is pretty neat and your zoas are lookin good. It'll all open up in time, just do what Phixion tells you to lol. Sorry I didn't read back... did you add all of your corals at one time? Also as far as the RO water goes, I'm wondering just how necessary they are. Some swear their lives by them and many don't have them and their reefs are just fine. Should I get one before I add corals?

Thanks Dan!! I am pretty excited about everything starting to open, I feel like I am finally doing things right instead of trying so hard and getting it wrong! I just added too many fish and I was adding too many additives to the water. I also was feeding with phytoplankton and I think that might have cause the brown stringy things. I am just going to do simple water changes and try not to overfeed and see how that goes. No more fish and no more additives to the water. ;) I have tons of additives though, too bad I can't trade it all in for some salt!! :lol:

You know, I am like you...I have heard some people use tap water and do fine. If I was doing a fish only..I would use tap water, but with corals~I really think you should use RO water. You don't have to buy the system if you don't mind buying the water bottles..that's what I am doing right now. But it would make life so much easier, I have decided it's the next thing I am going to buy.

So...how's your tank coming along?? Are you ready for the new cuc yet??

Wow, everything is looking great RSG! :) The pics are very good, excelent color in them! :D

The orange skirt zoas look almost like lunar eclipses, if so hang on to them!! They are more difficult to come by than other zoas, and they are one of my favs too. I used to have a few before the tank move. The patience has paid off, hehe. ;)

Well, you can pat yourself on the back, Phix..cause it's all THANKS to you! Including the great pics!! ;) I used the vivid mode, I have found that is my favorite. It does seem to make things have some great color!

I don't think I have lunar eclipses :(, these are supposed to be a bright neon blue in the middle, but so far I am only seeing the orange on the edges. My original plan was to only buy hard to come by, expensive stuff and then when it grew I could sell some to help pay for it....BUT once again, my impatience took over and there ya go~ just your plain old everyday zoas! :lol: Well also, being new..I thought it might not be the smartest move if I killed it. ;)

I will update my thread as things develop for sure.

Thanks Phixion, I think I will go with the same rodi that you guys have.

It's a good one Shaz, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. It'll compliment your new 135g nicely. ;)

Well, you can pat yourself on the back, Phix..cause it's all THANKS to you! Including the great pics!! ;) I used the vivid mode, I have found that is my favorite. It does seem to make things have some great color!

I don't think I have lunar eclipses :(, these are supposed to be a bright neon blue in the middle, but so far I am only seeing the orange on the edges. My original plan was to only buy hard to come by, expensive stuff and then when it grew I could sell some to help pay for it....BUT once again, my impatience took over and there ya go~ just your plain old everyday zoas! :lol: Well also, being new..I thought it might not be the smartest move if I killed it. ;)

No no, I'm just being a friendly fellow reefer is all. :) It's all in my nature.

Zoas are pretty hardy no matter the variety, even the rare aren't hard for even the beginner to maintain. I still can't bring myself to spend as much as some of them cost. PPE (Purple People Eater) palys go for upwards of $50 a polyp. The elusive and super rare authentic Pink Elephant paly goes for $100 a polyp!! :o Both are equally awesome looking corals, but I just don't have the budget for even one (the justification to get them really) and you know when you get zoas you gotta have at least 3, lol! That's my general rule at least, I've made exception to certain specimines though, Dege Pinks being one of those. One thing I've learned though, you'll probably waste half of your life away waiting for your LFS to carry or have for sale probably like 75% of the zoas/palys listed on www.zoaid.com since some or one-offs from a single mother colony someone has, or it's one that's just plain rare. It's funny though, I'm always changing my fav things to collect for my tank. At first it was zoas. Then it changed to ricordia, then to blue zoas, lol! For a brief moment it was Birdsnest SPS, and then the latest is clams... =X I have no idea what will be nest, lol! Maybe Acans or blastos, hmm...

what does your lfs sell corals for in general? The cheapest at mine are $25. thats for a single zoa polyp. Small clams are $66.99, large are $89.99, x-large $129.99. The cheapest of anything other than a zoa are $45. thast why I'm going to wait for 10 years to get corals. I'll jsut start with a single zoanthid and hope it reproduces rather quickly.

Well the prices I quoted are from places that specialize in high end SPS and zoas, so they are a bit pricier. General stuff at the same shop is VERY reasonable priced. But at my main LFS closest to me, zoa frags with up to 10-15 polyps sell for $10-$15 depending on size, larger frags for $25. I've gotten a 200+ polyp colony of blue zoas from there for $50 before!! Bear in mind that blue zoas normally fetch a higher price than other common zoas. This LFS has clams for kind of expensive, but doesn't usually get many in anyways. The place I've gotten my clams from (Fraggle Reef which is local to me) sells them for $20 for "2+, $30 for "3 and most maxima or derasas are about $50 - $80 depending on the coloration and size. There's a few LFSs around here that will sell SPS frags for under $25. I guess living in CA where pretty much most of the South Pacific coral ships through has its benifits. But I also shop around for the most reasonable LFSs too. I have a specific one I get most of my zoas from, another where I'll go for clams and rics, another for SPS, and yet another for L/R and dry goods. I find trading and buying from other reefers tends to be the least expensive option to get corals and livestock from. B)

If your LFS is selling single polyp zoas from $25, then they are seriously ripping everyone off big-time and obviously in it solely for the money, and not for the hobby. NO zoa unless rare or one-of-a-kind should ever sell for that much for a single polyp. I'd seriously consider boycotting that LFS and hook up with a different one, unless it's the only one close to you.

Well the prices I quoted are from places that specialize in high end SPS and zoas, so they are a bit pricier. General stuff at the same shop is VERY reasonable priced. But at my main LFS closest to me, zoa frags with up to 10-15 polyps sell for $10-$15 depending on size, larger frags for $25. I've gotten a 200+ polyp colony of blue zoas from there for $50 before!! Bear in mind that blue zoas normally fetch a higher price than other common zoas. This LFS has clams for kind of expensive, but doesn't usually get many in anyways. The place I've gotten my clams from (Fraggle Reef which is local to me) sells them for $20 for "2+, $30 for "3 and most maxima or derasas are about $50 - $80 depending on the coloration and size. There's a few LFSs around here that will sell SPS frags for under $25. I guess living in CA where pretty much most of the South Pacific coral ships through has its benifits. But I also shop around for the most reasonable LFSs too. I have a specific one I get most of my zoas from, another where I'll go for clams and rics, another for SPS, and yet another for L/R and dry goods. I find trading and buying from other reefers tends to be the least expensive option to get corals and livestock from. B)

If your LFS is selling single polyp zoas from $25, then they are seriously ripping everyone off big-time and obviously in it solely for the money, and not for the hobby. NO zoa unless rare or one-of-a-kind should ever sell for that much for a single polyp. I'd seriously consider boycotting that LFS and hook up with a different one, unless it's the only one close to you.

Wow I feel really ripped. At 45 minutes away that is the closest LFS to me. No competition means they price what they want to. God I thought all of you people were rich as Mr. Gates with your stuff... no offense, but this just ticks me off now. Waht does it generally cost with you RSG?

Archived