Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Red Sea Max

RedSeaGal

Picture106.jpg

Here's my new turbinaria (scroll coral). My clowns decided it was theirs right away.

I seen your pics on Maxreefers...looks good. You just have to shoot Michael pics once and awhile and he'll keep it updated.

Hi Hodge..that picture is beautiful along with your new coral!! You can even tell from the picture that your clowns are in love with it! :lol:

I did set up my acct. with Michael and I really do need to add some more pics, but I am waiting (still) for everything to fully open and maybe add a thing or two before I send them. Do you know how long that site has been around? It's really nice and has some great pics!

Congrats on the new coral, it's really amazing!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Shaz! Don't feel bad, it's been a while since I have posted anything..you kind of get to a point where you run out of money or room or both, and then there's not much to say! ;) My fish are still doing great, but my corals aren't doing as good as I would like. The only coral that is doing great and growing like crazy is my pulsing xenia! Can you believe that? I've got 2 torches that just flat out won't open up all the way, maybe 1/2 but that is it! It's slowly making me bonkers! :wacko:

I have heard that fire shrimp are pretty shy, but I have also heard after awhile, they will start coming out more. Mine stays under my swim through area, but he comes right up to me now when I feed them and he eats out of my hand, I even let him get on my hand just for a min, but it kinda creeps me out! :lol:

How's that sweet 135G coming along?

Whenever i move the flow around on my torch it gets irritated and won't open up all the way.

I discovered that it liked being tossed around by the current much more than being gently swayed ;) haha it's hard to discribe it. When the flow was less the sweepers became really thin and didn't extend very much. I moved the powerhead back to where it was and it puffed up and completely extended. this happened in like a 2 day time period.

long story short, try moving it to where it has more flow. it worked for me :)

I'm not sure how long the sites been around...I'm guessing a year or so.

Like Cali said, you may have to change flow or relocate your unhappy corals and wait a couple days. My colt coral kinda slumped over for a week or so after putting it in the tank and then perked right up after moving it to a spot with less flow. Can be disappointing when a coral doesn't play along with your aquascaping plans. lol

A decent coral book is also a great idea if you don't have one.

My clowns have been the best addition yet. I held off on clowns, thinking they were to common but they are fascinating to watch develop into a pair and select a host (mine are test driving a different coral each day...even my clam).

I like your cleaner shrimp...It was going to be my first choice but the lfs only had peppermints, which have been ok but they don't come out much. Has yours molted yet?? First time I saw one I freaked thinking it had died, till I did a head count.

Whenever i move the flow around on my torch it gets irritated and won't open up all the way.

I discovered that it liked being tossed around by the current much more than being gently swayed ;) haha it's hard to discribe it. When the flow was less the sweepers became really thin and didn't extend very much. I moved the powerhead back to where it was and it puffed up and completely extended. this happened in like a 2 day time period.

long story short, try moving it to where it has more flow. it worked for me :)

Thanks for the advice! I did move some powerheads around today and one torch still isn't happy but it did seem to make other things happier, so I am going to leave it alone for a few days and see what happens.

I'm not sure how long the sites been around...I'm guessing a year or so.

Like Cali said, you may have to change flow or relocate your unhappy corals and wait a couple days. My colt coral kinda slumped over for a week or so after putting it in the tank and then perked right up after moving it to a spot with less flow. Can be disappointing when a coral doesn't play along with your aquascaping plans. lol

A decent coral book is also a great idea if you don't have one.

My clowns have been the best addition yet. I held off on clowns, thinking they were to common but they are fascinating to watch develop into a pair and select a host (mine are test driving a different coral each day...even my clam).

I like your cleaner shrimp...It was going to be my first choice but the lfs only had peppermints, which have been ok but they don't come out much. Has yours molted yet?? First time I saw one I freaked thinking it had died, till I did a head count.

It's a real bummer when the corals don't play nice, huh? They should know that I wouldn't have put them there in the first place if that wasn't the spot I had picked just for them...very ungrateful! :lol:

For some reason I have been very stubborn about moving the powerheads around, but after reading Cali's and your posts, I decided to give it a try! I think it's going to work out good.

I know, everyone has clowns but they are just too cute not to have! I feel sorry for mine, they don't have anything big enough to host! Need to save some money and get something big instead of frags! I just like watching things grow so I don't mind getting frags, but once my tank is 6 months along, I will try to get a nice big anemone or something.

My cleaner shrimp got another one of my sexy shrimp, so I am down to one. But..he is still one of my favorite things in my tank. I may try feeding him more often. Can you believe, he has molted 3 times already!! I've only had him maybe 5-6 weeks. Even after 3 times, I STILL freak out about it.. it's just so perfectly like them, with the feelers and all! Hopefully 3 times in that short of time is normal. He seems healthy and looks to be growing.

How's the new corals doing? Are your clowns still liking the new scroll coral?

All my corals are doing great. The softies are growing too fast tho (colt, leather). With buying corals online you never know how big they are going to be. The sps corals I've bought are doing well under stock lighting, so thats good...was a little worried the lighting wasn't going to be good enough. My Derasa clam seems to be happy (good first clam, If you ever decide on one). I do have to add calcium now to maintain 400+ levels.

If you don't like messing with flow, you may want to look into a Korilia hydor flow attachment to one of the stock circ pump outlets. They are dirt cheap, easy to install and move the flow around so it's not always in one spot.

My shrimp and hermits have molted quite a bit. More when they first were introduced but still see a molt every other week or so. Normal growing behaviour... but still looks weird seeing a complete molt in there.

My clowns have picked the scroll coral as theirs.lol I just finished reading an awesome clown fish book by Joyce Wilkerson...I'd highly recommend it. I've decided after reading her book, that I don't need an anemone nor do the fish. Too hard to keep, and not worth the stress IMO

Hey Hodge - What kind of clowns do you have?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived