Coral Vue Hydros

New Red Sea Max

RedSeaGal

Steve~

I am going to try the filter floss too. If I look at my tank from a certain angle, it looks a little cloudy..I think it might just be the bright light, cause if I look at it a different way, it just looks like I have a few too many bubbles still. If I leave it alone, it almost clears up, but when I feed them or chg the water, here come the bubbles again. I guess that is pretty normal though. I got the purigen this evening, so I am looking forward to putting that in tomorrow!

I sure would like to see a recent picture of your tank! Hint, Hint! ;):D

Good buy on the purigen, and the filter floss will help, mine fills up pretty quickly. I will try to post some today if I get a chance, there really has been no real change, haven't bought anything new and I am STILL watiting on my clam and other corals from Mr. Coral!!!! I'll get some up today for ya!! B)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy, Yup.. I got into this because of a clown aswell. Dang Nemo lol, my son loves that movie and has been watching it every day since we started this SW project. I will be getting some Purigen today, do you guys think I should place it in the fuge or the back chambers?

RSG, uploaded a few pics last night. Where are your updated pics hmmmmm? :)

I have the chemi-pure in the pump chamber, I put the purigen under the black sponge just because taking out the pumps is a Pain in the A$$. It is doing fine there and hasn't effected any flow what so ever.

GOOD GOD MAN!! You are a genius!!! :lol:

After barking my knuckles this last weekend as a part of my fish exodus and tank cleaning (swapped out the Chemi-Pure/Purigen/bad powerhead) all the while cursing a blue streak about how well designed but damn tight they made things I come across this post!

Next time I cycle the mechanical filtration I am going to ditch the fishing line setup I put in based on your advice and just hide the Purigen under the black sponge!

RSG-

Based on Steve's advice I ditched my bioballs and haven't looked back. I had a real problem in my old tank with them building up detritus and then getting nitrate spikes so I would take them out if I were you and replace them, again per Steve's advice, with live rock rubble.

I also put in a Koralia, yet again per Steve's advice, and it works pretty well. I went with the Nano model and found it at my LFS for $25.00.

If you are local to Los Angeles I would be happy to let you know where it was as this Dec 1st and 2nd they are having a 30% sale on all corals, salt water fish, tanks, equipment, etc. They have a real nice frogspawn that will be about $60 after rebate but the thing is about 5" in diameter and really nice.

FH2

I hate that chamber of death.

I recommend not using any bio balls or live rock rubble. I have since removed mine sine the fact arrised that it does NOTHING. All the bag did was catch crap and I have plenty of live rock in the main display to handle my bio filtration needs. If you are ever back there again, take out the rubble and run nothing since it looks like chemi pure and purigen can be run under the black sponge (i hope both, haven't tried yet)

I recommend not using any bio balls or live rock rubble. I have since removed mine sine the fact arrised that it does NOTHING. All the bag did was catch crap and I have plenty of live rock in the main display to handle my bio filtration needs. If you are ever back there again, take out the rubble and run nothing since it looks like chemi pure and purigen can be run under the black sponge (i hope both, haven't tried yet)

Aye. Added bonus for me is with cuts on the hands in salt water plus dealing with organic wastes I get the double bonus of stinging pain and possible blood poisoning from bacteria. Yeah! Actually I took out the LR for that very reason this weekend after beefing up my LR to 40 lbs per your recommendation. I hope so too. That will make life quite a bit easier. Don't see why it wouldn't though.

FH2

I didn't read back to see if you chose a clown becasue of time restrictions, but I'll jsut say that, to me, choosing b/w percs and oscels is like getting stuck in the candy aisle at a gas station and jsut staring at the different choices since they're all apealing lol.

I didn't read back to see if you chose a clown becasue of time restrictions, but I'll jsut say that, to me, choosing b/w percs and oscels is like getting stuck in the candy aisle at a gas station and jsut staring at the different choices since they're all apealing lol.

You are SO right...I want to buy them all!! I did finally decide on the oscels, cheaper and less aggressive, the lady that I am buying them from said they are more sociable than the percs..so I think I am going to be very happy, should have them by Friday I hope! :happydance:

Shaz~ Here are the new couple..from the picture the only way you can tell the male, is on the right, his face has like these neon blue dots, they really glow when he is showing off. The female is quite a bit smaller than he is but that is also hard to tell from the picture :lol:

Will try to get a post some pics of the medusa star polyps and my frogspawn tomorrow!

post-32061-1195115724_thumb.jpg

post-32061-1195115963_thumb.jpg

Pics aren't too bad considering being phone pics, RSG. B) Tank looking good so far though. I love frogspawns!

I was the same way when I got my 1st clownfish. Like a kid in a candy store, lol! Now that I've seen all the varieties, I'd really love to have either a piccasso or snowflake clownfish. Both very rare and quite expensive. Up to and over $100 each in many cases... =X

I'm hoping to get the clam today, yay!! If so, no pics till tomorrow though unfortunately. :( Tony (what I've named the new jawfish) is doing good and finally started making it's burrow. it's kind of in an odd spot though, lol!

:lol:

Pics aren't too bad considering being phone pics, RSG. B) Tank looking good so far though. I love frogspawns!

I was the same way when I got my 1st clownfish. Like a kid in a candy store, lol! Now that I've seen all the varieties, I'd really love to have either a piccasso or snowflake clownfish. Both very rare and quite expensive. Up to and over $100 each in many cases... =X

I'm hoping to get the clam today, yay!! If so, no pics till tomorrow though unfortunately. :( Tony (what I've named the new jawfish) is doing good and finally started making it's burrow. it's kind of in an odd spot though, lol!

Yea...not too bad. I have never been interested in taking pictures before, but now with this tank, I would love to have a camera that would take some great ones! I wonder if a cheap digital would be good, probably good enough for what I want.

I like that you named your jawfish!! Tony actually fits him pretty good I think! :D

I have never seen a snowflake clown, I was looking at the piccasso clowns too, but I decided I want to spend my money on corals, so I just got the clowns that I originally planned on. The seller that I bought them from, she said that she has a mated pair of mandarins!! :o Now, that is what I would really love to have!! I turned her down, even though it killed me!! :lol:

Woo Hoo on the clam!! I am so excited and it's not even mine..when my time comes, I won't be able to contain myself! Do you acclimate them the same as fish?

Ok, BE SURE to keep me updated..countdown to clam pics: 1 day!

Nice additions RSG, do you see them glow under your moonlights? how are you securing them to your rocks? thanks for the pics. :)

Thanks Shaz...for being new to this, my tank is actually starting to look like I imagined..still have a ways to go, but it's getting there!

The star polyps, they are just sitting on the sand and then I wedged the frogspawn in a hole in my rock, but then, of course, when I turned the lights off, it fell over. So I have some epoxy, I think it's called holdfast, that I bought from petco/smart when I thought I might want to glue my rocks together, I thought I would try that and it worked like a charm. I even saw a crab messing around it, and it's still there! I did see it glow, how cool is that?? B) I am like in love with that one...the star polyps, not quite as impressive as I thought, but they are still nice to look at swaying in the current. The frogspawn has given me the fever though, I want to get a hammer, some bubble coral, fox coral, well...I just want it all! :lol:

Update on the purigen: Ok, yesterday I took out the bio-balls, MAJOR PIA! Then I rinsed my chemi-pure bag and put it back in the last chamber. Rinsed the Purigen, but it in the first, with the halved black sponge on top and today...my water has that polished, crystal clear look!! :o WOW! So...now if I could just get rid of the hair algae on the back glass....any suggestions?? My nitrates are zero and so are my phosphates. I only use R/O water also, no tap. I have some banded trochus snails, they love hair algae, but they seem to never want to get off the rock.

:lol:

Yea...not too bad. I have never been interested in taking pictures before, but now with this tank, I would love to have a camera that would take some great ones! I wonder if a cheap digital would be good, probably good enough for what I want.

I like that you named your jawfish!! Tony actually fits him pretty good I think! :D

I have never seen a snowflake clown, I was looking at the piccasso clowns too, but I decided I want to spend my money on corals, so I just got the clowns that I originally planned on. The seller that I bought them from, she said that she has a mated pair of mandarins!! :o Now, that is what I would really love to have!! I turned her down, even though it killed me!! :lol:

Woo Hoo on the clam!! I am so excited and it's not even mine..when my time comes, I won't be able to contain myself! Do you acclimate them the same as fish?

Ok, BE SURE to keep me updated..countdown to clam pics: 1 day!

lol, indeed! :P

Ok, so I have a confession... I didn't actually acclimate Tony. :o I mean I temp floated his bag of course, but after like a half hour I just dunked him in, no dripping... The clam I will for sure drip for 20-30 mins max. I've always dripped my clams. But Tony is doing fine though, I guess my S.G being somwwhere between 1.021 and 1.022 helped not stress him too much when I put him in.

Snowflake clowns while looking bizzare, are quite interesting variety of clownfish. Google them to see what they look like. B) A mated pair of mandrines sounds awesome, and also tedious given their requirements, lol!

If you need/want a digital camera and don't have one yet I have one I don't use anymore (Canon A40 model) that I could sell you for pretty cheap. :) Let me know if that might interest you and I can PM you the details and price and such. :)

lol, indeed! :P

Ok, so I have a confession... I didn't actually acclimate Tony. :o I mean I temp floated his bag of course, but after like a half hour I just dunked him in, no dripping... The clam I will for sure drip for 20-30 mins max. I've always dripped my clams. But Tony is doing fine though, I guess my S.G being somwwhere between 1.021 and 1.022 helped not stress him too much when I put him in.

Snowflake clowns while looking bizzare, are quite interesting variety of clownfish. Google them to see what they look like. B) A mated pair of mandrines sounds awesome, and also tedious given their requirements, lol!

If you need/want a digital camera and don't have one yet I have one I don't use anymore (Canon A40 model) that I could sell you for pretty cheap. :) Let me know if that might interest you and I can PM you the details and price and such. :)

Sure, I would like that! Send me the details and price and maybe some pics too, if you can!

Looked at the Snowflake clowns, pretty interesting..but too pricey for me!

I hope the Acclimation Police doesn't come to your house and beat you like a red headed step child. :lol: I drip everything for over an hour...probably too much, huh?

Oh yeah, too much! Especially for corals, they don't honestly need that much acclimation. Pretty much all corals I just float and dunk as I call it. Float for about 15-20 minutes, then place them in the tank. I also usually rinse the frag or piece off under the tap (roughly trying to temp match to my tank water) between unbagging and putting in the tank. This will remove any excess dirt or whatever and perhaps any parasites. ALL zoas I get now I always dip with SeaChem's Reef-Dip to be on the safe side. This both will help erradicate any parasites like zoa eating nudies and flatworms, plus it'll hopefully help prevent any zoa infections if there's any on the piece. I only drip acclimate clams and fish and any shrimp I get which I haven't had any since my old AP12. :) But yeah, better to put in the tank sooner than later. Also particularly if you have any livestock shipped to you, it's essential to get the animal (coral or fish) out of the bag ASAP as after a nice shipping journey, the bag water can/does become toxic instantly once it's opened and fresh air contacts the water. The animal is absolutely better off dealing with the change of parameters in your tank than being in a toxic soup of water from the shop. ;)

I'll PM you the details on my camera. :)

The long awaited clam pic is up in my tank thread! ;):D

:happydance: YAY!!!! FINALLY clam pics!! :happydance:

That is a GREAT looking clam! I want one!! Only 5 more months to go!

Well, I got my mated pair of clownfish today and one was DOA :tears: So that really was disappointing..so I just went out and bought another one and hopefully they will fall in love with each other! :wub:

So far they are staying pretty close together , so that's a good sign.

Definitely a good sign I'd say. Sorry to hear about the loss though. I was quite sad for a few days when the female of my pair passed away while I was gone last month for a week. :tears:

Hi RSG -

I went ahead and bought this great system over the weekend instead of the much bigger aquarium. I will just have to resist in getting any tangs for a while until a later time when I can convince my wife on a much bigger tank....lol

Anyway, what happened to your fuge? Why did you end up taking it off? I was thinking of adding one to mine. Also, do you find that when everything is running (lights, pumps & skimmer), it is pretty loud, specially the skimmer? My LFS has a beautiful one setup which definitely got my attention and convinced me of getting it, but because of the environment inside the store, hearing just the RSM was almost impossible.

Archived