Coral Vue Hydros

New Red Sea Max

RedSeaGal

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RSG, take a sample of water to LFS maybe they can help? from the readings here though, some tanks it might take a week and others upto 6 weeks. Yours might cycle between then, just my hypo though. Im still waiting for my cycle to be over. Goodluck. Shaz

I am on day 11 now and NO sign of algae! What is wrong with my tank??

Some tanks may not always get an algae bloom at the end of the cycling. Best way to know for sure is to test the water. :)

Some tanks may not always get an algae bloom at the end of the cycling. Best way to know for sure is to test the water. :)

Hi Phixion, you know my water is testing zero on everything except I have a trace of nitrates. Do you think I am ready to add my cleaning crew? Maybe a blenny? :)

I looked at your 30 gallon tank, you have some great corals, it is truly an amazing tank! Going to look at your other ones later tonight. How many clams do you have now? I really want some clams but I know I have to wait at least 6 months. What is your favorite thing in your tank? How are frogspawn, ever got stung by anything?

I added a macro algae to my tank to hide a power head that I use to get flow to the back of my liverock.

I don't know the name of it. I actually bought Chaeto, and it had a piece of this in it. I stuck it in front of the powerhead and it took off. It's a REALLY nice affect.

It's green, has long broad leaves about 2 to 3 inches long, and roots.

I'll try to get a pic on the morrow.

Oh, and what kind of test kit are you using for nitrates?

API?

I don't know where the post was but if it is API there's a "trick" to using it the first few times.

On another thread there was a member that didn't believe their tank was so low in Nitrates. They called API and talked to a rep.

The rep informed them that if the test wasn't used for a long time some of the stuff in it settled to the bottom and kind of "sticks" there.

They recommended that the first few times you use the Nitrate test you shake the 2nd container longer than 30 seconds.

If I remember correctly it was smack the bottom of the solution several times on a table HARD. Then shake it for 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds.

For the member it worked, the test showed they had a higher nitrate level then they thought.

Just a heads up. My nitrates took about 2 months to go down to near zero. For about a month they hovered around 5. Then the next week the level just dropped off completely.

Good luck!!

Keep an eye on your calcium, if your using the red sea salt, depending on your salinity level, the red sea salt has 450ppm calcium at 1.021 salinity, i believe it approaches 480 at around 1.025. I was dosing with purple up and realized that i didn't need it, with a weekly water change, you shouldn't need to dose anything.

the tank looks nice, +1 on your rock scaping.

Stan-O

good advice yet when doing water changes you are doing a 10% so adding water that is at 450 vs the water that is already in the aquarium diluted. It won't raise calc. past 420 in my experience.

I added a macro algae to my tank to hide a power head that I use to get flow to the back of my liverock.

I don't know the name of it. I actually bought Chaeto, and it had a piece of this in it. I stuck it in front of the powerhead and it took off. It's a REALLY nice affect.

It's green, has long broad leaves about 2 to 3 inches long, and roots.

I'll try to get a pic on the morrow.

Hi Remington, I have some green and red codium coming and some Chaeto, I am not too sure about the Chaeto but I may just put it in the back behind all the rocks. I also have some shell hash coming that I am going to pile up back there too, to try to keep some pods. Some people like the macro and others don't. I am going to try it though. I think if you can find the right place, it will look good.

I actually have the Red Sea test kit, but my test strips seem to be better at testing for nitrates. Not really good for anything else, but good for nitrates. I also have API, but I don't like their Nitrate instructions, too many steps.

What kind of a tank do you have? How long have you had it? Any pictures?

Hey guys, another question!How many corals can you add to your tank at one time? Are they like fish, where you can only add 1 or 2 at once?

RSG, take a sample of water to LFS maybe they can help? from the readings here though, some tanks it might take a week and others upto 6 weeks. Yours might cycle between then, just my hypo though. Im still waiting for my cycle to be over. Goodluck. Shaz
Hi Shaz~ how is your tank coming along now? Added anything new? Your working on like, day 8 or 9 now right?

Here is an updated pix of my tank, I added a CPR fuge, I am wanting to grow some pods!

post-32061-1194208597_thumb.jpg

I think that is actually Anthelia...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

I looked at some pictures and I bet you are right. Too bad though, I have been waiting for them to pulse! :)

If you are interested in getting some true, pulsing Xenia, you can generally find it in abundance in the livestock classifieds.

Your tank looks great so far, just keep taking it slow and steady and you'll do fine!

Your tank looks awesome, I love the coralline on the rocks. Did it come like that or the purpleup and bionic did the job?

I was thinking about adding a fuge like yours but just got a deal on HOB fuge so couldnt resist. Are you planning on sticking some corals on the fuge to hide it?

My tank is on day 10 today and its coming along fine, I added a cuc last night and they mowed down the algae in a few hours. I might have to substitute with seaweed to keep them alive I think. I will post some pics today.

Shaz, yea I found this rock on Ebay, it had been in his tank for 3 years, so it came with all that coralline on it and I really like it myself. I have decided to alternate using the B-ionic and Purple Up, every 3 days. So I will see if I am able to keep it like it is now. Still no algae..but all my tests are zero. Getting some macro algae and my cuc on Tuesday!

You know, I never thought to try to cover the fuge, I'm not sure I even like it in the tank, but I am going to keep it looking nice so it won't take away from my tank. Otherwise it will be the first thing to go.

Yes, post some pics!!

Hi Stan-O, Thanks for your reply! You have a Red Sea Max too, huh? How are you liking it? Do you have any pictures? I am using the Red Sea Coral Pro salt..I think I have bought a bunch of stuff for the water that I didn't need. What kind of things do you add to your water?

I like my Max, it's not a perfect tank, but it's probably one of the better ones. I have pictures on my facebook account ( tonns of them )

I currently do not add anything to the water. I do dose with zooplankton/DT's for my filter feeders ( derasa clam and feather duster ) . Weekly water changes should help keep everything ( calcium, iodine, etc ) up to par. If you do not do weekly/biweekly water changes then perhaps you can look at adding additives.

I do not keep up with the forums all the time, but if you have any questions, feel free tp PM me,

have fun and enjoy your tank.

Stan-O

Hi Phixion, you know my water is testing zero on everything except I have a trace of nitrates. Do you think I am ready to add my cleaning crew? Maybe a blenny? :)

I looked at your 30 gallon tank, you have some great corals, it is truly an amazing tank! Going to look at your other ones later tonight. How many clams do you have now? I really want some clams but I know I have to wait at least 6 months. What is your favorite thing in your tank? How are frogspawn, ever got stung by anything?

Hey RSG, thanks for the compliments on my tank. :) I have 3 clams in it right now. My favorite thing in my tank, that's a tough choice, do I have to pic only one thing? :P Right now I'd say it's a tie between my fridmani pseudachromis, and the clam that's closest to the bottom (also my biggest right now). I'd wait 6 months before a clam too, only because you want your tank mature and established when you add one, and also so that the water can be more prestine than not if that makes any sense. You also want to be sure your Ca and alk levels are stable and constant before adding one. My frogspawn and torch corals are great, I love them!! I've never been stung by anything in my tank, no allergies to anything (which is a plus in the hobby) and never had anything infect any cuts I've had on fingers while working in the tank (knocks on wood). I even had a good sized bristle worm and up on my finger once, which I franticly shook off, it didn't sting or bite me thank goodness! The only real hazard in my tank is my clown fish which like to bite, but that's typical of most clowns/damsels. Let me know what you think of my other tanks. B)

As for your tank, if nitrates are under 10, then I'd do a 25% W/C and deem it safe to add a CUC, actually I'd probably W/C anyways as it never hurts to do so. Having one always heps things out, plus are fun to watch and look at! Oh yes, I'd only add maybe 3-4 corals max at a time, corals definitely can add to boiload, especially when they slime from stress when putting into your tank.

Hey RSG, thanks for the compliments on my tank. :) I have 3 clams in it right now. My favorite thing in my tank, that's a tough choice, do I have to pic only one thing? :P Right now I'd say it's a tie between my fridmani pseudachromis, and the clam that's closest to the bottom (also my biggest right now). I'd wait 6 months before a clam too, only because you want your tank mature and established when you add one, and also so that the water can be more prestine than not if that makes any sense. You also want to be sure your Ca and alk levels are stable and constant before adding one. My frogspawn and torch corals are great, I love them!! I've never been stung by anything in my tank, no allergies to anything (which is a plus in the hobby) and never had anything infect any cuts I've had on fingers while working in the tank (knocks on wood). I even had a good sized bristle worm and up on my finger once, which I franticly shook off, it didn't sting or bite me thank goodness! The only real hazard in my tank is my clown fish which like to bite, but that's typical of most clowns/damsels. Let me know what you think of my other tanks. B)

As for your tank, if nitrates are under 10, then I'd do a 25% W/C and deem it safe to add a CUC, actually I'd probably W/C anyways as it never hurts to do so. Having one always heps things out, plus are fun to watch and look at! Oh yes, I'd only add maybe 3-4 corals max at a time, corals definitely can add to boiload, especially when they slime from stress when putting into your tank.

Hi Phixion~ I am glad to hear that you have never been stung, bitten or infected! That was my only tiny concern, cause I have never been stung by anything in my life and I don't really want that to change! :D I can tell you if I ever had a bristle worm on my hand, I wouldn't have to be stung...I would have a heart attack first! Those things freak me out!! omgomgomg

Your other tanks look great too, your aquapod had some great xenia in there, I thought I had some that came with my LR , but no luck it was something else, but it's still pretty. How long have you been into SW tanks?

I can't believe I actually own one...I have had FW all my life, but never was brave enough to do SW, but I thought it would be a nice challenge and so I am very excited. Just looking at my rock everyday and finding new things, That has been keeping me entertained while I wait for the tank to cycle.

I think I may get a pom pom crab...I have heard different things about them being reef safe or not. Have you ever had one?

Hey RSG, thanks agaiN! ;) Bristle worms in the tank don't freak me out so much (as long as they aren't on a frag I might be touching), and my tank, or my fuge rather has tons of them. My display area is rather clean of them however. I think my fridmani has something to do with that. They still freak me out though. A couple months ago I had gotten a fist sized rock piece with several blue zoas on it (my fav coral and color for them, lol) and was rather shocked to discover a near "6 long bristle worm inside of the rock... :eek: I dipped it in SeaChem's Reef-Dip solution as I do with all zoa frags I get, and then saw it was I removed the rock and was rinsing it off under the tap. I proceeded to pluck it out with tweezers and put it in the dip solution just to see how big it really was. Needless to say it was probably a little more than half the length of your average unsharpened pencil.

Anywho, yeah my old AP12 did have some pretty impressive xenia growing in it, but sadly it didn't survive the move to my 30g tank. I got more to put in there, but once again it sisn't survive my last move I did in May when I moved to a new apartment. I've been into SW I'd say 3 years now, ever since a good friend of mine started telling me about them and had set up his own tank, but brackish instead of SW, and with archer fish and a green spotted puffer. I got inspired and decided to try my hand at aquariums. My only prior fish experience was with goldfish when I was a kid growing up, lol! Those never worked out and almost always never survived past a month any given time I had any. So far it's working out for me, and I've had tanks since I started my AP12, for almost a year and a half now!! B) I like how soothing the tank is though. Sometimes at night if I can't sleep, I'll sit infront of my tank staring at it under the blue moon LEDs. Quite relaxing indeed!

I've never had a pom pom crab myself, so I can't really say for sure if they are good or not. I currently have a green emerald though and it's doing pretty good so far, and luckily hasn't tried to munch on any of my corals as I've heard some have been known to do. When I set up my 30g last January, my rock apparently came with TWO similar hitch-hiking crabs. Bother turned out to more than likely be red mithryx crabs, or perhaps another type that I just can't remember how it's spelled right now, lol! The first I found was actually dead when I found it a couple days after setting the tank up. The other I discovered a month later and it lived up till a couple weeks before I moved this past May, so about 4 months it lived in my tank. The shell was quarter sized and it was mean looking with hairy legs, but it had flat rounded claws and only muncnhed on algae thank goodness.

Oh yes, being stung by anything is almost always painful. My first and only encounter so far has been by a bee. But as for coral stinking you, it all depends on how sensative your skin is, and where you touch it on you. If it's your finger tips, you should be fine as that's the toughest skin on your body of course only beaten by the skin on the bottom of your feet. :)

Oh yes, being stung by anything is almost always painful. My first and only encounter so far has been by a bee. But as for coral stinking you, it all depends on how sensative your skin is, and where you touch it on you. If it's your finger tips, you should be fine as that's the toughest skin on your body of course only beaten by the skin on the bottom of your feet. :)

Hey there Phixion, Well...I really, really, don't want to get stung, BUT....I don't think I will be using my feet anytime soon!! :haha: I did buy some gloves, but they are so thick I can't feel anything that I am doing. I do think that I have some kind of a creature in my tank, cause I see the sand is moved every morning. Hopefully it's something good since it is rock from a 3 year old aquarium.

How do you manage to put frogspawn and anemones into a tank after you have acclimated it?? Do you just pick it up or use a net? That may be a stupid question, but hey...I'm a newbie! :blush:

I can't imagine having to move with a sw tank, I am even thinking about what to do if I ever go on vacation!!

I am also having trouble deciding on the fuge I added yesterday. I bought it before I got the tank and hate to just let it sit, but I am thinking it could be an eyesore if I am not able to keep it clean. May take that out today.

I know what you mean about looking at your aquarium, I look at my aquarium so much that now when my family is around, I try not to...I think they are starting to get jealous!!

So what is next for your aquarium?? Adding anything new? Let me know when you add more pics!

Wiil do for sure! B) Yeah, my fiance thinks I'm crazy for the amount of time I spend on my tank. Once, her best friend was over and timed how long I worked on my tank when I got home from work, lol! Unfortunately that was a day I planned to do some routine maintaince, so that time was a bit longer than usual. :P With frogspawn, I always move that stuff (or torch or hammer corals) with my bare hands, too cumbersome with a net I'd imagine. I'd use gloves, but I need that feeling of what I'm doing like you mentioned about. I'd really only use gloves if I'm moving rocks or something like that.

Moving is definitely not something I've looked forward to with my tank, especially the bigger it is. When I did my move (in May), on a stupid error on my part, I lost about 90% of my livestock. :( Only my 2 fish I had at the time, my candy cane corals and a toadstool frag survived. Everything else perished away. Hopefully you'll never had to experience it, but dead coral is the worst smell ever!?! I was so sad when that happened. But now almost a half year later, my tank is back to it's full glory and perhaps better than when before I moved! :) My only issue with my tank right now in fact, is just getting over a moderate case of cyano issues. I think I got that all controlled and taken care of this past week though... fingerscrossed Going out of town doesn't phase me though as long as I have someone that can check on the tank every couple days, and I only need them to visually inspect it and replenish the top-off water I have in a 5 gallon bucket for my ATO system. Once I put my tank and an AquaController Jr. system a few months ago, and then got my ATO setup, my tank is virtually maintaince free for up to a week! The ACjr. kicks on a fan if temps get too hot, and then my chiller if they get even hotter, and then a heater of course if temps get too low. Due to the 4 pumps in my tank, my heater never has a need to turn on since the pumps generate a bit of heat to keep the tank warm. I always feed the night before I leave on a trip, so food is taken care of especially with the amount of pods my fuge has growing in it.

What fuge did you get for your tank? Is it external to it? A fuge is always good to have though when possible. The nutrients the macro algae can export and remove, and the pods you can grow in it to help feed your inverts and/or fish... Shouldn't be too hard to keep clean though I'd imagine.

Nothing new planned for my tank right now other than a new fish or two. I'd really like to get another jawfish to replace the one that dissapeard on me a couple months ago. That was my first SW fish ever too. :( My tomato clown is lonely ever since his partner died while I was in Orlando FL a couple weeks ago, so he needs a new buddy. =/

RSG, just updated with pics on my thread. Nothing too exciting but some CUC and a lone Damsel. My son called it a devil fish without knowing the name of the fish. :)

RSG, just updated with pics on my thread. Nothing too exciting but some CUC and a lone Damsel. My son called it a devil fish without knowing the name of the fish. :)

Hey there Shaz, Your tank looks great, I really like the fuge on the back. I wish I could set something up like that on mine, but it's hard to do on the RSMs. That blue fish I really nice, was he very expensive?

Yea, those Astrea snails...they flip over and the next thing you know they are hermit lunch! I really like the Trochus, Nassarius and Cerith. Those are the ones I plan on getting...I have some coming tomorrow and I am very excited!

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow!

Be sure to let me know when you add more!

Good looking Tank RedSeaGal.

I dig my RSM. it is my first foray into the hobby, and I love it ! My tank is pretty much fully stocked(well for today anyway) and I am just trying to be Patient and let it grow out. So far so good !

Archived