SaltCritters.com

New Red Sea Max

RedSeaGal

LOL I wish they were kidding when they said that about mine...

Hi dan15daman! Good to have you on my thread! :)

Well, he might not have been kidding! :haha: I just set it up to make me happy!

I also wanted to tell you sorry for being such a hag on your thread, it just really made me mad! Then people keep saying, well you asked for their opinions and that set me off again! Didn't mean to direct your thread in the wrong direction, just wanted to make a point to be nice to newbies! I can take advice all day as long as it is helpful and not rude and mean!!

Your tank is a work in progress, it takes time to get it just how you want it!

Keep me posted when you have new pics! I want to see em! ;)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi dan15daman! Good to have you on my thread! :)

Well, he might not have been kidding! :haha: I just set it up to make me happy!

I also wanted to tell you sorry for being such a hag on your thread, it just really made me mad! Then people keep saying, well you asked for their opinions and that set me off again! Didn't mean to direct your thread in the wrong direction, just wanted to make a point to be nice to newbies! I can take advice all day as long as it is helpful and not rude and mean!!

Your tank is a work in progress, it takes time to get it just how you want it!

Keep me posted when you have new pics! I want to see em! ;)

YAY I feel like I made a new friend. You weren't a pain on my thread... thanks for all you said. Some people are just pompous and its pretty sad, but thanks for sticking up for me! Good luck with your reef!

Phixion You know the skunk shrimp that was staying in the cave? Well, I watched him kill one of my sexy shrimp!!! :angry: Now I want him out of my tank! I asked the seller if they would be okay together and she said, yes as long as they were put into the tank at the same time. I tried spot feeding the skunk shrimp this morning but he wouldn't come out and grab it like he did before. Am I able to trap him?

That's terrible RSG! :( Skunks are notorious for

doing not so nice things, such as pull food from OUT of feeding corals and such! :o You can try baiting it with food, then wait with a hiding net to scoop it up quickly. Not sure how else to do it though. There are traps that can be made I hear though, ones you'd trap a mantis shrimp with. Good luck!!

YAY I feel like I made a new friend. You weren't a pain on my thread... thanks for all you said. Some people are just pompous and its pretty sad, but thanks for sticking up for me! Good luck with your reef!

dan15daman~ You DEFINATELY have a friend here!! I have met some great people on this forum and the ones that keep replying to my newbie questions are my FAVES! (Take a bow, Phixion and Shaz!) :) Let me know when you have more pics and /or any questions, course..I am new so I don't give any advice, that's just asking for trouble, but I can try to direct you to someone that would know!

Good Luck to us in our new sw adventures!!

Sorry for the late response, all of my snails feed on the glass, bulkhead and pumps :). I added a couple of ceriths in the fuge to help chow down on the algae there. For now I am just waiting for my Nitrates to go down. I might add some purigen to my fuge and see if that helps.

Sorry for the late response, all of my snails feed on the glass, bulkhead and pumps :). I added a couple of ceriths in the fuge to help chow down on the algae there. For now I am just waiting for my Nitrates to go down. I might add some purigen to my fuge and see if that helps.

Hi Shaz, I wondered if you had gone somewhere for the weekend! My snails are finally getting on the glass, but on the back glass, I have a TON of algae and they won't get on it at all! Very strange! I have Trochus, Nassarius and Ceriths. Between them and my crabs, they totally cleaned up the sand, so now if they will just get to work on the back, I will be set!

StevieT recommended purigen to me...I have some coming in the mail, then I am taking out my bio balls and replacing it with that. :) So far my params have been good, other than I have had 7.8 pH, but this morning for the first time, it was up at 8.8! I have no clue about that! But everything seems fine in the tank other than my skunk shrimp murdering one of my sexy shrimp. Not too happy with him...I should have bought a blood shrimp instead.

Personally I like Chemi-Pure better as I never noticed a differance while using Purigen. But then again I tried the Purigen in my AP12, and run Chemi-Pure on my 30g, so I never tried each in the other... Mexican Turbo snails are usually best for mowing down algae, maybe get one or two of those and see if that helps you out. :)

I might be getting a new fish in the next week, a Tiger Jawfish to replace my Dusky that went MIA on me a couple months ago. Still don't have the new clam yet. ;)

Hi Shaz, I wondered if you had gone somewhere for the weekend! My snails are finally getting on the glass, but on the back glass, I have a TON of algae and they won't get on it at all! Very strange! I have Trochus, Nassarius and Ceriths. Between them and my crabs, they totally cleaned up the sand, so now if they will just get to work on the back, I will be set!

StevieT recommended purigen to me...I have some coming in the mail, then I am taking out my bio balls and replacing it with that. :) So far my params have been good, other than I have had 7.8 pH, but this morning for the first time, it was up at 8.8! I have no clue about that! But everything seems fine in the tank other than my skunk shrimp murdering one of my sexy shrimp. Not too happy with him...I should have bought a blood shrimp instead.

Hello Red Sea Gal, sorry to hear about the homicide of your sexy shrimp. I had 2 that went missing at the same time and suspect my cleaner shrimp as well. Sounds like the ACS (Association of Cleaner Shrimp) has some explaining to do.

Personally I like Chemi-Pure better as I never noticed a differance while using Purigen. But then again I tried the Purigen in my AP12, and run Chemi-Pure on my 30g, so I never tried each in the other... Mexican Turbo snails are usually best for mowing down algae, maybe get one or two of those and see if that helps you out. :)

I might be getting a new fish in the next week, a Tiger Jawfish to replace my Dusky that went MIA on me a couple months ago. Still don't have the new clam yet. ;)

I am actually already using the Chemi-Pure, I have it sitting on top of my bio balls, but I am going to take those out and replace them with the Purigen..I may not be able to afford to keep doing it...but since they last quite awhile..I thought it would be worth a shot.

I am looking into getting some clowns, I know...everyone has clowns, but they are just so cute! :lol: That was the main reason I got into sw, but then got sidetracked wanting corals instead. Don't have either just yet, but now I can't decide between True Perculas or Ocellaris, I think it is really just personal preference, but I do hear that the Ocellaris are the least aggressive, but the Percs sound like they are more colorful.

What's the hold up on the Clam already??!!!! :D

Hello Red Sea Gal, sorry to hear about the homicide of your sexy shrimp. I had 2 that went missing at the same time and suspect my cleaner shrimp as well. Sounds like the ACS (Association of Cleaner Shrimp) has some explaining to do.

Hi Rodney013!! Thanks for the condolences on my sexy shrimp! :lol: I do have 2 left that have managed to survive so far...keeping my fingers crossed! Bad ACS, Very BAD! :angry: ha!

What kind of tank do you have? Any pics??

I am actually already using the Chemi-Pure, I have it sitting on top of my bio balls, but I am going to take those out and replace them with the Purigen..I may not be able to afford to keep doing it...but since they last quite awhile..I thought it would be worth a shot.

I am looking into getting some clowns, I know...everyone has clowns, but they are just so cute! :lol: That was the main reason I got into sw, but then got sidetracked wanting corals instead. Don't have either just yet, but now I can't decide between True Perculas or Ocellaris, I think it is really just personal preference, but I do hear that the Ocellaris are the least aggressive, but the Percs sound like they are more colorful.

What's the hold up on the Clam already??!!!! :D

Clowns are the staple icon of any reef. Your reason to get into SW was my exact reason i got into it as well, and then of course got side tracked by corals as well, lol! My first fish I got was a dusky jawfish. I followed the advice of "least aggressive fish first" so I got my clownfish next after that. That's the clown that's now in my 10g tank. The thing I like about false percs (ocellaris) is that they don't develope the black in the sides between the bars like the percs can tend to do. Nemo was a false perc I do believe...

I just haven't had time to pick up the clam yet. A fellow reefer picked it up for me this past sunday, and I got back from Vegas last night. Hopefully sooner than later this week though! B) I might be picking up the fish tonight however though, and ironically the clam came from the same shop! :lol:

Clowns are the staple icon of any reef. Your reason to get into SW was my exact reason i got into it as well, and then of course got side tracked by corals as well, lol! My first fish I got was a dusky jawfish. I followed the advice of "least aggressive fish first" so I got my clownfish next after that. That's the clown that's now in my 10g tank. The thing I like about false percs (ocellaris) is that they don't develope the black in the sides between the bars like the percs can tend to do. Nemo was a false perc I do believe...

I just haven't had time to pick up the clam yet. A fellow reefer picked it up for me this past sunday, and I got back from Vegas last night. Hopefully sooner than later this week though! B) I might be picking up the fish tonight however though, and ironically the clam came from the same shop! :lol:

Well, I am really looking forward to seeing more pics of your fish and your tank, those pictures you took earlier should win an award or something :lol:

I am leaning towards the false percs and I think I am changing my mind on the cleaner shrimp. I just watched him clean both of my scooter blennies! I didn't that would happen with the smaller fish but it looks just like he is giving them a back massage, pretty funny to watch. Now if he will just keep his paws off my sexy shrimp, we will get along just fine!

How was Vegas? Win anything, see any shows? When I go, I love to stay at the Luxor, very nice! Haven't won much there though, but mostly go to look around.

Just so you know I'm going to let you plunge into getting corals before me to see how they do for you ;) . I am sorry to hear about your shrimp! Well hope all goes well and let me know how the purigen does.

Just so you know I'm going to let you plunge into getting corals before me to see how they do for you ;) . I am sorry to hear about your shrimp! Well hope all goes well and let me know how the purigen does.

My turn to be flamed, huh?? :lol: J/K! Well, I am getting some zoas next week sometime and I will try to get some pictures..course, don't expect too much cause I am taking my pictures with a phone camera!! :o

I should be getting the purigen sometime this week and I will let you know, the Chemi-Pure is working good for me right now...all params have been really good other than a little spike in pH yesterday, but it's good today again. I just want to try the purigen in place of the bio balls, cause I am sure after time, they are going to get all gunked up and up my nitrates.

Hope all is well with your tank, be sure to let me know if you post any pics!

BTW...I have gotten a lot of help from StevieT, on this forum...if you have any questions, you could send him a PM, he is very quick to answer, very informative and his tank is amazing! He was my inspiration for my tank. :)

hehe, thats because I have email up all day long at work and I love helping!!! B)

I added the purigen a few weeks ago and saw a small drop in NO3 and NO2. Ammonia was alwasy at zero and the nitrates are really low now. Looks like it is good for something. I am also running the chemi-pure.

Well, I am really looking forward to seeing more pics of your fish and your tank, those pictures you took earlier should win an award or something :lol:

I am leaning towards the false percs and I think I am changing my mind on the cleaner shrimp. I just watched him clean both of my scooter blennies! I didn't that would happen with the smaller fish but it looks just like he is giving them a back massage, pretty funny to watch. Now if he will just keep his paws off my sexy shrimp, we will get along just fine!

How was Vegas? Win anything, see any shows? When I go, I love to stay at the Luxor, very nice! Haven't won much there though, but mostly go to look around.

Vegas was fun, it was pretty much a turn-around type of trip only staying 1 night this time. We stayed at Circus Circus which I decided I'll never stay at again, too cheap of a hotel, lol! I love the Luxor too though!! Lost $60 to Spanish 21 at stateline which has better gaming IMO than Vegas, cheaper gaming at least. I'm not brave enough to try Texas Hold 'Em away from home yet. :lol:

Cleaners are quite nice and fun to watch when they play nice. If you havent yet, put your hand or fingers in your tank and let the shrimp clean you, quite and interesting feeling.

lol, thanks for the compliments on the pics. I love taking darker long exposure shots which can show better and more incredible detail than your average pic. I've been known for my night shots of random stuff. :)

I'm soooo anxious about my upcoming new arrivals.

hehe, thats because I have email up all day long at work and I love helping!!! B)

I added the purigen a few weeks ago and saw a small drop in NO3 and NO2. Ammonia was alwasy at zero and the nitrates are really low now. Looks like it is good for something. I am also running the chemi-pure.

Hi there Steve! I forgot, do you have the chemi-pure in the last chamber on top of the purigen?

I have the chemi-pure in the pump chamber, I put the purigen under the black sponge just because taking out the pumps is a Pain in the A$$. It is doing fine there and hasn't effected any flow what so ever.

I have the chemi-pure in the pump chamber, I put the purigen under the black sponge just because taking out the pumps is a Pain in the A$$. It is doing fine there and hasn't effected any flow what so ever.

Ok, let me make sure this is right..You have the chemi pure under the pumps, just by itself. Then in the first chamber where the water is sucked in, you have purigen with the black sponge on top? You did cut your sponge in 1/2 also, right?

correct x3 !!! I was back in the pump chamber a few weeks ago and removed the bag with the live rock rubble, it was doing nothing but trapping detritus. I purchased the purigen after that so i didn't want to remove the pumps again, so I tried it under the black sponge (cut in half). This way the sponge catches the detritus and the purigen is weighted down, other wise it will float up, which can happen in the pump chamber as well. I still have one or two pieces of rubble holding down the bag of chemi pure.

At times I do run filter floss to polish off the water, i place that on top of the black sponge, but remove it after 5 days to prevent a growth of nitrates.

My turn to be flamed, huh?? :lol: J/K! Well, I am getting some zoas next week sometime and I will try to get some pictures..course, don't expect too much cause I am taking my pictures with a phone camera!! :o

I should be getting the purigen sometime this week and I will let you know, the Chemi-Pure is working good for me right now...all params have been really good other than a little spike in pH yesterday, but it's good today again. I just want to try the purigen in place of the bio balls, cause I am sure after time, they are going to get all gunked up and up my nitrates.

Hope all is well with your tank, be sure to let me know if you post any pics!

BTW...I have gotten a lot of help from StevieT, on this forum...if you have any questions, you could send him a PM, he is very quick to answer, very informative and his tank is amazing! He was my inspiration for my tank. :)

Lol ya I'm going to go for zoas when my parameters cool off a bit. Just a single polyp to get something going. Nothing new in my tank but a powerhead that made the tamp rise 7 degrees... o well. lol i didn't mean to kiddingly upset you. We can take the plunge together.

Lol ya I'm going to go for zoas when my parameters cool off a bit. Just a single polyp to get something going. Nothing new in my tank but a powerhead that made the tamp rise 7 degrees... o well. lol i didn't mean to kiddingly upset you. We can take the plunge together.

We sure will, and don't worry..you didn't upset me at all, kiddingly or otherwise! ;) What kind of powerhead did you get? I am sure you have heard, but the Koralias are great, I have one and I haven't noticed my temps going up because of it. It's worth the price in the long run, sometimes you can find a good deal on Ebay.

So what kind of plans do you have for your tank? I want a pair of clowns and then just zoas, mushrooms, frogspawn and most of all a clam!! Have to wait at least 6 months for that, but I am sure it will be worth the wait!

Your signature cracks me up...I got a case of the newbs! :haha:

Steve~

I am going to try the filter floss too. If I look at my tank from a certain angle, it looks a little cloudy..I think it might just be the bright light, cause if I look at it a different way, it just looks like I have a few too many bubbles still. If I leave it alone, it almost clears up, but when I feed them or chg the water, here come the bubbles again. I guess that is pretty normal though. I got the purigen this evening, so I am looking forward to putting that in tomorrow!

I sure would like to see a recent picture of your tank! Hint, Hint! ;):D

Archived