inTank Media Baskets

Cali-girl's Biocube29

Cali-girl

c est ma- most of the rocks are just stacked on top of the other and also supported by the back wall. I made sure they weren't going to get knocked off. at the top where the camera washed it out i used putty to attach a couple rocks together to make an arch. it's really ugly where all the putty is, but i'm hoping the coralline algae will cover it pretty quickly.

thanks for the compliments!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been following your thread, & it has helped me with my nano. That's very much appreciated.

I love you tank set-up...Very sweet set-up.

But it's missing something...How do you feel about adding some Florida Ricordias?

How much are they over there in Cali? (curious) I will be getting a 90g in late Feb / early March, and will

be transferring my corals from my current 24g over. But I will be getting

bigger ricordia colonies (8 + rics per rock)....so my 1-3 ricordia rocks now

I will not be moving over. If you want some of my smaller ric rocks....

just pay shipping from Miami to Cali and they are yours. :)

I will pm you with more details... :)

I have been lurking for a while LoL. Sorry to hear about your early January mishap :-( I dread the day my wife and I go on vacation ... :o

I really like the new aquascape. Especially how it reaches the top ... Almost makes me want to make mine a little higher ...

Keep up the great work!

might have been mentioned, but I missed it....what kind of clown is that? True or false percula? From the pic looks like true because it seems to have more black around the white stripes, but again, could be the camera.

Are you planning on getting another one in the future? Try to get em to pair up?

Kookie- yes it is a True Percula. pics are crap and he looks better in real life. It would be really cool to have a pair but i just don't have the funds right now. he's been getting used to the tank a little more these last few days. very cute!

Tudizzle,

i mix all my food together in a cup and then i target feed them with a syringe. Mostly they get mysis, sometimes reef pellets and brine shrimp.

i'm having issues with feather algae on my mushroom rock. I'm thinking that it would be easiest to transfer the mushrooms onto another piece of rock, but i'm not sure how i would do that. They are getting overcrowded by the algae and a few of them have already let go and moved.

anyone have any ideas?

You could pull the rock and pluck as much off as possible. I found it easiest to put some tank water in a bowl and pluck the algea off underwater while holding the piece upside down. Then scrub that area with a small wire brush. Rinse it in the bowl water and then return to tank. That should eradicate that little patch

good luck

If you ever have the chance to get some frozen silversides your suncorals will go bonkers, at least mine do. I just shave it real thin and then melt it in some tank water. Then use a baster to feed. The first time I did it their etension almost doubled

i'll have to try the silversides!

can i do the plucking and scrubbing with the mushrooms still on the rock?

They should be fine, just have everything you need in place before you start to minimize the time it takes.

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking tank. I am going to have to "borrow" some of your ideas for my tank. Of course I will give you all the credit if asked. Great looking clown. I am getting an ORA Picasso percula clown after the 1st.

i'm back after a really long move! we switched apartments and had 3 days worth of cleaning unpacking and resetting up everthing. I'm exhausted! oh, and then i got to start school on Monday at 8am. it's been a crazy week!

little update on the tank,

The clownfish i was so excited about got really lethargic and didn't make it. That's the second clown i've lost in 2 months so i'm a little frustrated. It was super stressed when i got him and he was always really shy so i think he either caught something or he was just too stressed for too long. :(

The rest of the tank however all made it through the move and everything is happy. I changed the rockscape again and i think it will work better this time. I've got more platform areas to put corals. the mushrooms relocated in some areas so they'll help cover the rocks and the torch coral loves the flow i put it under. I'm getting a new camera soon, so finally i'll be able to post pics and make this thread more interesting! haha

on a side note, i emptied the 75g that had my goldfish in and we don't have a water spicket outside now to refill it. It's sitting in the living room and i'm totally getting "big tank syndrom" i had to get all my equipment packed away and i'm sitting there thinking, " i could really start this... i have almost everthing already.....hmmmmm......"

.....I'm in trouble... :rolleyes:

Awesome looking tank, love all the updates in this post.

I hear ya on the big tank syndrom, I've been staring @ my big tank for awhile now.

But were going to be moving soon, so I wanted to wait until after the move before I set it up.

Glad to hear your move went good, minus the clown. I'm still worried about my tank when the time to move comes....

Sorry about the clownfish. I can't wait to see the new rock work though. I understand you about the "big tank" syndrom. I have my RR55 sitting in the basement and all I need to do is replace the bulbs in the hood. I try not to even go in the basement anymore because of it, well that and the boogey man.

• 2 weeks later...

got some new stuff for you guys!

some updates shots of my tank and it's inhabitants..... :) just got done feeding so everyone is out, but the water is a little spotty.

sun coral happy about food

DSCN0119.jpg

whammin' watermelons

DSCN0066.jpg

new firefish

DSCN0124.jpg

torch coral is splitting into 2!

DSCN0070.jpg

tiny clown goby

DSCN0125.jpg

side few with caulpalera (sp?) it's grown like crazy and i have more popping up on other rocks

DSCN0126.jpg

full tank shot

DSCN0122.jpg

hope you guys like it. As you can see i have an issue with hair algae, I've tried turning the lights off for a few days, added some more hermits, feeding less, i'm thinking i'm going to have to turn the 2nd chamber into a refugium and add another microalgae. i'm getting a tiny amount of cyano, but i think i've got it almost gone and then i'm seeing a little bit of bubble algae.

my conclusion is that i still have too many nutrients that the unwanted algaes are taking advantage of. anyone else have ideas?? or solutions would be good too :D

You have the same combination of fish I once had. I miss them :(

As for the nutrients, where are you getting your water? A LFS or mixing your own?

this is the closest pic i have of it. i looked up what bryopsis is... looks like a PITA to get rid of. great....

i'm getting the water from Jeff's exotic fish. It's premixed.

thnks for the compliments!

Beautiful firefish...I absolutely love my purple firefish and it is probably my favorite fish. The tank is looking nice and healthy.

Don't fret too much about the algae although you may want to try and reduce it a little. I know that sometimes algae can really get out of control pretty quick but as long as you chip away at getting rid of some of it, things will turn out for you.

You may want to try and add some chaeto in there since it will help to compete for nutrients and should help to reduce the other algae. Just a thought though.

thanks dive

I was thinking that i needed to invest in some. i just don't want the soapdish in there. it's small enough already! i'm thinking i'm going to get a little pen light and do a small refugium thing in the middle chamber. see how that works out.

i think it will help too if i start pulling some off every once in a while...

on a side note... the illustration department had a pirate show this last weekend. this digital painting cracked me up! :D it's a little blurry cuz it reflected off the glass, but i think it's still legible... enjoy!

pirate list:

*kidnap

*ravage

*pillage

*some real "ME" time...

DSCN0098.jpg

Archived