ReefCleaners.org

Cali-girl's Biocube29

Cali-girl

I'm upgrading to a Biocube 29!!! woo hoo! :D

I found a good deal on a used one nearby and it's going through a test run as we speak! still trying to figure out where to put it, but it's gonna be awesome. This thing looks so much bigger than my 14, i'm still trying to adjust to the size. My stock is gonna be dwarfed!

It's completely stock so i'll have to add a couple things. Oh but it did have the lockline which was nice. I'm debating between using that or adding my hydor flo and my koralia pump.

I have a couple questions about transferring everything though. Will the tank have to be cycled at all or can i just add everything?

I also don't know if i need to buy all new sand. I thought i saw somewhere that it's better to get new stuff rather than transfer. If I don't have to, I have some left over in a bag from when i started 4 months ago, is that stuff still good? it's the arag-alive.

geez, so many questions....

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm upgrading to a Biocube 29!!! woo hoo! :D

I found a good deal on a used one nearby and it's going through a test run as we speak! still trying to figure out where to put it, but it's gonna be awesome. This thing looks so much bigger than my 14, i'm still trying to adjust to the size. My stock is gonna be dwarfed!

It's completely stock so i'll have to add a couple things. Oh but it did have the lockline which was nice. I'm debating between using that or adding my hydor flo and my koralia pump.

I have a couple questions about transferring everything though. Will the tank have to be cycled at all or can i just add everything?

I also don't know if i need to buy all new sand. I thought i saw somewhere that it's better to get new stuff rather than transfer. If I don't have to, I have some left over in a bag from when i started 4 months ago, is that stuff still good? it's the arag-alive.

geez, so many questions....

congrats! Id recommend transferring as much live rock sand and water from your current tank as possible. That would minimize the chance of a cycle.

You might have a mini cycle but the least amount of time everything is out of the water the better. I don't know about the sand, I resealed my bag with a vacuum sealer (without the vacuum) and it says it has a 1 year shelf life I think. When I moved my tank many years ago, everything was in buckets and bags for 2 days. When I put everything back in it was fine. I think you will be ok, just make sure that everything you want to do is done before you set it up. I wish I would have added another pump with a bulkhead to mine but now that it is full I cannot do it.

wow... Looks great... Cheato is your answer ;) but wait... What's this? You are moving from the BC 14 class and upgrading :( ... :) Good Luck! ;) I am obviously jealous :P

Dont think ive ever seen a cleaner tank.. Really nice!

Still in the early stages on mine. battling algae like world war three.

Really enjoyed the thread. tagging along to track the progress with the upgrade.

Wash your sand before transferring over to the new tank. As for the water, up to you to choose if you want to re-use some of the water but bacteria doesn't colonize the water so yeah.

Hey Cali, I was fighting algae a little and I did a few things to eliminate it.

I was using RO water from Wal-Mart to top off and make my own SW. Now, since I'm near my LFS every week. I just use their RODI water and SW for WCs. It's actually cheaper for me because they only charge $.25 for RODI and $.75 for SW.

I also like to heavily feed my fish. They are just babies, all of them, so I feed a lot. So help combat that I have 2 shrimp, and now 10 hermits. The 2 turbo snails are pigs. I added a ball of Cheato in a soapdish, and some calupera. This has worked WONDERS. I also have a skimmer and some chemi-pure that I rinse out about every month. Other than the occasional film on the glass I have to clean my tank is algae free. The only place that it builds up a bit is on my hydor-flo but the turbos eventually clean it off.

I don't know what kind of foods you have been giving. I also don't know what your lighting situation is but this is what worked for me. Hope it helps a little.

thanks dood!

that actually is a big help! i'm planning to do the soapdish deal, and i was thinking of getting turbos or a porcelain crab. not sure which yet. hopefully i can kick this stuff in the butt!

Those were great pics! And congrats on the upcoming upgrade!

IME, it never hurts to upgrade your CUC...Most will not tackle fullgrown hair algae/Bryopsis, though, unless you cut it down first...(but pull out what you can--loose pieces colonize wherever they land, as I'm sure you've heard.) I think you mean emerald crab--they do like algae! And caulerpa doesn't have to be in a soapdish--it will do fine as just a free ball-'o-algae in your tank...

Love the red macro! Oh, and the pirate pic! :lol:

--Diane

DSCN0098.jpg

First off, that picture is hilarious and I would have gotten it as well. Puts a new spin on "YAARGGHH."

Secondly, congrats on possibly upgrading to the 29 gallon. I'm sure it's going to look HUGE compared to the 14 that you have now. I am not exactly sure what you should do about the sand since I have no experience with this. From what others have said, sounds like the best idea is to transfer as much as you can of it to the new tank. I would think this would be best since that way you can keep some of the good critters and bacteria that has been colonizing in there. It's always good to give things a good stir anyways. I would also try and use as much of the tank water you have now in there as well. Just consider it like a big water change for things. Moving everything else will be easy....just make sure temperature, salinity, and pH are matching and it should be fairly easy.

As far as the pumps, I have had the hydorflo on one of my outputs and it has worked well. It ended up falling off a couple of times of course but other than that I think it does a good job. I would also add the koralia in there...I know that I have a Koralia 2 in the back right corner towards the middle and I have it pointing diagonally across the tank toward the front left corner. It will I'm sure seem like a lot more flow than maybe what you have now but the corals and fish will adjust accordingly.

If you need any chaeto, let me know. I am about to a point where I need to do a little trimming of mine and I'm sure there are some good pods, etc in there for you. I could always toss a little in a sandwich bag and send it your way. I'm sure you can find some local cheap though considering you are in California after all :)

Keep us updated on all the new happenings....

thanks Dive,

Did you put the hydor on the lockline? I don't know if the 29 comes with these stock, but it's got it. I thought i heard that Tudizzle put his on one of the extensions and then left the other one as is. I'm thinking i'm just going to leave the lockline for now and see how everything reacts to it and then i'll add the Koralia nano, which i already have.

On a side note, I'm trying to get rid of some freshwater goldfish if anyone is interested. I need room for the bigger tank :D

thanks Dive,

Did you put the hydor on the lockline? I don't know if the 29 comes with these stock, but it's got it. I thought i heard that Tudizzle put his on one of the extensions and then left the other one as is. I'm thinking i'm just going to leave the lockline for now and see how everything reacts to it and then i'll add the Koralia nano, which i already have.

Hey Cali. Just like Tudizzle, I put the hydor on one of the outputs of the loc lin. I just put a Y split on the output. I have a flare output on one and the hydroflo on the other. Hope that makes sense. If not, I can grab a picture for you.

The koralia nano will go awesome in this tank...I might get one down the road as well.

Dive,

I'm trying to picture it.... i know that the loc line already splits into a "Y", so you took one of the outputs and again made it into two? so there are actually 3 areas where water is being circulated?

here's a super ghetto drawing of what he's talking about....

tank.jpg

you have chambers 1, 2 3.

C = the y split in the loc line

A= the flare nozzle on the loc line

B= the hydor on the other end of the loc line

Here's my setup. Basically you'd replace one of the flare nozzles with the hydor.

PICT1441.jpg

I also agree with the Simpson's Bed Sheets instead of live sand.

How many pounds... errr... sheets do you use? ;)

hehe, that's a closely guarded secret.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, everything went great!! this last saturday was the tank moving day. :D

It was an entire day process, but everything went smooth and well.

All the corals are open and the fish have gone right back to their "places".

before i switched everything, i went over all the rock with a scrubber and tried to get rid of as much algae as possible. I think it's working as now my CUC can get it if it starts to grow back. It looks beautiful!! i'm so excited about how it turned out. :D

i'll post some pics later.

k here's some pics...

everything was still clearing up

DSCN0131.jpg

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

DSCN0134.jpg

tonight when all the rock was set up...

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

the yellow clown goby is already perching on the mushrooms and the firefish has reestablished it's burrow.

Archived