Top Shelf Aquatics

Cali-girl's Biocube29

Cali-girl

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm in Orange County, CA! Jeff's Exotic Fish was having a discount today for military. My roommate is military so i used her for the discount. She got to help pick stuff out!! :D

It's almost a month old, but everything was already cycled before it was put in the tank.

thanks Gvtv for the pics, forgot to say that before ;) i'm gonna try to rig it up like that today

just looked at Tudizzle's pics, WOW! definitely an inspiration. it's sad that im just barely setting this tank up and i'm already dreaming of what my 75g tank would look like as a flowing reef........ :closedeyes:

geez!

Nice looking start you have there. thanks for the love ;)

I have one of those giant golf ball size turbo snails as well. Be prepared to glue some stuff down or he will flipping and kicking your corals around. I can't bring myself to trade him in so I just deal with it.

Plenty of tanks on here for inspriration and most are willing to share the knowledge, when asked.

Keep the pics coming!

Great start Cali-girl....as others have said, looks so nice and clean. Maybe your CUC needs to give mine a stern talking to. All I ever see my crew members doing is messing around on the glass :)

I really like your selection of corals thus far with the torch being my favorite. I'm sure it looks great swaying in the flow.

Are you planning on adding any more live rock in the future? Might look nice with a couple of more pieces to give it a little more added height.

Keep up the great work and feel free to swing by my thread and ask questions if you have any. Always great seeing another successful BC member :)

Welcome new BC owner and great start on your tank. I like the mushroom rock very nice. like tudizzle said we like picture. If you have any question just ask any one we will help.

GOOD LUCK

HeyLookItsCaps

damnit, i guess im tagging along too. where in OC are you? theres alot of great fish place around here. its nice having 2 or 3 different places to "shop" in

right now i'm in costa mesa, but we're looking to move to Irvine in a couple months. I kinda wanted to hold off on buying more stuff till we move. (not sure if that's gonna stick tho :D )

I think there was a good one i looked into off brookhurst, by the McDonald's? i remember they had an octopus in a hamster ball so he wouldn't climb out of the tank. the little guy was so frustrated he wasn't going anywhere! haha :lol:

HeyLookItsCaps

ah yes, thats pacific reef. i worked there for a bit. brian the owner is a great guy. its off garfiled and brookhurst. down the street a few blocks is another called OC aquatic. on adams and brookhurst. in irvine there is also coral oasis. welcome to the BC crew.

HeyLookItsCaps
OC Aquatic gets my thumbs up! Cali-Girl, you should join up at SCNRS.org ;) It's So. Cali only reefers there. B)

oh that is such bullcrap! i begged and pleaded to get into scnrs and look at the hottie who gets the insta invite. i hate you phixion, i hate you!

i just went on their website, it looks like they had a total of 20 guys and 2 girls or something at their meet haha :P some of them didnt look too happy haha

oh that is such bullcrap! i begged and pleaded to get into scnrs and look at the hottie who gets the insta invite. i hate you phixion, i hate you!

You're already in though, lol!

Darklyte, there's not many women in the hobby anyways. EVERY one was happy though. They all drank, BBQ'ed and had a grand old time, especially with the super discounted corals from Fraggle Reef where it was held at. ;)

Anywho, there's quite a few good LFSs in the O/C area.

HeyLookItsCaps

ya we had a blast. lots of beer and tequila. maybe you saw a pic of us drinking with sour faces? haha. ya theres alot of great stores here. more here than anywhere else ive seen

ok here's a little update on the tank.

i have had a problem with my torch coral the last few days. it got knocked down in the tank and cracked at one of the heads. basically the head then deteriorated very fast and possibly spread to a second head on the coral. I posted about it in a couple threads and basically this is what i've done.

i took a pair of scissors and as carefully as possible removed the dead head. it stunk sooooo bad! then i did a big water change and put a bag of purigen in the first chamber with a poly filter to catch any leftover debris.

the rest of the tank inhabitants seem to be doing ok, but the water was really bad for them for a little while. hopefully the water change will help a lot.

on a side note, i also added a koralia nano pump to help with more flow.

part 2 of the update:

last night did a big water change and took out the bad part of the torch. I woke up this morning and the second head had the same symptoms so that one went too. I had to suck out more of the debris and then replace a little more of the water.

It sucks that i lost 2 out of the 3, but the last head is doing really well. The water has cleared up a lot (it was cloudy yesterday because of all the decay and debris) and it's "arms" are finally extending outward. Color looks nice and pink and it's really liking the extra flow from the koralia. Right now i'm trying really hard to keep my hands out of the tank! and let things settle down.

That's a nice looking torch coral. I need to get somethinglike that for my clownfish cuz I removed my rose anemone and now they try to host my Duncan frag. There's a bunch of LFS here around Costa Mesa area. Have you checked out Coral Oasis in Irvine, Seaside in HB off Beach Blvd, San Bar off 17st., OC Aquatics is ok but I only like to deal with Kevin excusively, can't stand Pacific Reef in FV. There's a place run by an aquarium maintenance guy I'm not even sure if its still around but he was running it like odd hours called Rich's off Placentia just before you hit Newport. Why would you wanna leave Costa Mexico for Hellvine? j/k :lol:

haha cuz i like living in "The Bubble"!!! where everything is green and happy! where the only thing cops have to do is pull over highschool students by the campus (well that is until we get crazy people with samurai swords :huh: )

Archived