Top Shelf Aquatics

EZ III

ezcompany

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tell me you didn't buy those sir.

those came in my sps pieces that i picked out so they wouldn't disintegrate in my coffee dip

66lpup.jpg

Amerijuanican

yo EZ... its chrisdamage... I got banned till October, 2010 and my thread was deleted. This is my new steez. I decided to make the jump to SPS and a local reefer gave me some really nice frags to start out with so I've been lucky so far. Still tagging along, the tanks looking good.

yo EZ... its chrisdamage... I got banned till October, 2010 and my thread was deleted. This is my new steez. I decided to make the jump to SPS and a local reefer gave me some really nice frags to start out with so I've been lucky so far. Still tagging along, the tanks looking good.

lol what did u do?

This one are the one of the few good SPS crabs, I say keep them.

i like everyone of my sps colonies to have a bandit acro crab. too bad they hop around to the colonies they like only.

i like everyone of my sps colonies to have a bandit acro crab. too bad they hop around to the colonies they like only.

I had a similar pair that were called red guard crabs in a wild stylophora that I have. They call them guard crabs because they protect the SPS from crown of thorn starfish. Mine looked just like the one in this slow motion battle with a crown of thorns ;) .

XPP00325.jpg

They were very cool to watch and never left the Stylophora nor damaged it. They died after a year though. Presumably from malnutrition :(

thats a good idea where the reactor drips into the macro algae. how are you keeping your kalk stirred? do you have a magnetic stirrer or just have it manually stirred, and dosed through the peristaltic pump?

I bought a kalk stirrer from a local acryllic guy - GreyseasAquatics

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1462613

I was going to build a magnetic one, but it was more work than it was worth for the size I needed. I dose via peristaltic pump on a timer so that it only doses at night. The whole thing is also controller by two top off switches. One in the sump to control the the pump and one in the fresh water resevoir to control the RO/DI unit. My "resevoir" is just an old salt bucket with two holes drilled into the lid - one for the RO/DI supply and another for the feed to the peristaltic pump.

I bought an AC III and some X10 (Neptune uses X10 for non-hardwired controllers) switches to control the pump but the X10 is not reliable enough over my house circuits. I have two main breaker panels and the X10 has trouble spanning circuits from 1 to the other. You can buy a bridge but it is $$$ and I decided that I thought the old style mechanical timer is a more reliable way to go anyway. I am actually only using the AC III for monitoring (ph, temp and orp) and web access. It kept me sane while on vacation!

I had a similar pair that were called red guard crabs in a wild stylophora that I have. They call them guard crabs because they protect the SPS from crown of thorn starfish. Mine looked just like the one in this slow motion battle with a crown of thorns ;) .

XPP00325.jpg

They were very cool to watch and never left the Stylophora nor damaged it. They died after a year though. Presumably from malnutrition :(

that is an awesome pic! i'm going to try to feed it sometime :)

Amerijuanican

yo EZ... after I broke the stock skimmer the other day, I told you that I super-glued it back together... well, I put it back in the tank and it didn't seem to want to work very well... now, oddly enough, after what seemed to be another short break-in period it is actually performing better than before. Odd.

Do you know if the pump can be mesh modded? JW... I'm thinking of trying it.

yo EZ... after I broke the stock skimmer the other day, I told you that I super-glued it back together... well, I put it back in the tank and it didn't seem to want to work very well... now, oddly enough, after what seemed to be another short break-in period it is actually performing better than before. Odd.

Do you know if the pump can be mesh modded? JW... I'm thinking of trying it.

hmmm. i need to super glue mine as well. did you end up using a lot of glue?

i took a look at the pump and i don't remember seeing a needlewheel, so a meshmod would probably not work. try it and let me know lol

Amerijuanican

true... I think I will... It doesn't need a needlewheel to be meshmodded I thought? Just wrap the mesh around the impeller and let er rip from my understanding. Although, I'm not sure what I'm talking about, so I might just sound like an idiot.

those came in my sps pieces that i picked out so they wouldn't disintegrate in my coffee dip

66lpup.jpg

Hey EZ,

I like acro crabs also and have been wondering how to get them. Where do you get your SPS? In my last tank I had an acro with a crab and he would always go to the top of the acro during feeding time. He'd wave his pinchers in the water until I gave him a piece of mysis shrimp. He would take it off the end of the feeding tube. I'm now trying to find out if anyone sells the crabs but haven't had any luck so far.

Hey EZ,

I like acro crabs also and have been wondering how to get them. Where do you get your SPS? In my last tank I had an acro with a crab and he would always go to the top of the acro during feeding time. He'd wave his pinchers in the water until I gave him a piece of mysis shrimp. He would take it off the end of the feeding tube. I'm now trying to find out if anyone sells the crabs but haven't had any luck so far.

My pair that looked like the one in the crown of thorns starfish pic above, was a hitchiker on a stlyophora from PacificiEast Aquaculture.

EZ - Great looking fish. Is that one new?

Amerijuanican

yo! Emergency! you want some free SPS? I have true Superman Encrusting Monti, True Sunset Encrusting Monti, Pink Lemonade Acro, ORA True Blue Acro, and True Rainbow Encrusting Monti... they keep bleaching and I've tried everything I know how to keep em alive... if I can't turn em around in a few days they are yours.

hey guys

yes thats a new fish, i replaced my old jordani with this crazy super male.

podrod - the acro crabs can be found in maricultured pieces. i buy them in miniature colonies, and before dipping the corals i remove the crabs then relocate them in the colonies i want them to be in. if they don't like the coral they just hop around till they're happy, its very cute to watch! they would be on the edge of the coral...wait...wait...then make a dash to another coral :D

yo! Emergency! you want some free SPS? I have true Superman Encrusting Monti, True Sunset Encrusting Monti, Pink Lemonade Acro, ORA True Blue Acro, and True Rainbow Encrusting Monti... they keep bleaching and I've tried everything I know how to keep em alive... if I can't turn em around in a few days they are yours.

Amerijuanican ygpm :o

dailydriven911
hmmm. i need to super glue mine as well. did you end up using a lot of glue?

i took a look at the pump and i don't remember seeing a needlewheel, so a meshmod would probably not work. try it and let me know lol

I had the stocker mesh modded and it does work. I however went with a mesh modded mj900 pump and I'm loving it so far. I actually think it over produces and skims a bit wet but it's working great so far.

ez great job on the tank I also went bb on my solana. Thanks for the inspiration :)

I had the stocker mesh modded and it does work. I however went with a mesh modded mj900 pump and I'm loving it so far. I actually think it over produces and skims a bit wet but it's working great so far.

ez great job on the tank I also went bb on my solana. Thanks for the inspiration :)

thank you for the compliment :)

EZ - I am just lovin Your tank.. words can not explain it.. I have Solana as well.. but I just got to Your post last night, and my tank is now almost month old.. so to late change it to BB.... but maybe my next one would do it.

I have one question... whats that all mesh modded mj900 about? Any link to this topic to explain exactly? thanx guys.

UPDATE!

OK FOUND IT! now I know what is mesh mod :)

dailydriven911
EZ - I am just lovin Your tank.. words can not explain it.. I have Solana as well.. but I just got to Your post last night, and my tank is now almost month old.. so to late change it to BB.... but maybe my next one would do it.

It's never too late mine was running for almost 2 months before I made the switch... :)

I have one question... whats that all mesh modded mj900 about? Any link to this topic to explain exactly? thanx guys.

UPDATE!

OK FOUND IT! now I know what is mesh mod :)

I tried this but it produces to much and doesn't give the skimmer enough time to collect all the junk. I had my collection cup up almost all the way and still was skimming wet. I decided the mesh mod the stock pump and I'm getting much better results.

Archived