SaltCritters.com

Tudizzle's BC29

TUDIZZLE

Thanks Dive she is finally doing better, although I did have to miss the World Series Games. Guess I really didn't miss anything.

Calvin- Didn't know we had a local club. Thanks for the 411. Is that your Dads prop tank in the photos? Looks like it is going to be a sweet setup. I will have to hook up with ya'll sometime, although now that winter is here snowmobiling kinda takes over my life and the coral hobby kinda ends up on the back burner.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they have been id'd as large amphipods and benefical. Since I have no fish the population has been on the rise.

they are beneficial as food for fish and in that they munch detritous

but be careful, they will eat yer zoos.

There was a thread on this a few months ago.

I watched em swarm my zoos at nite, then i bought some fish

and modded my light strip with moonlights and they are in check now.

Thanks bilge...

I have a few fish now and also run the moonlights so I think they have reached a harmonious balance in my tank. But I will keep my eye on them.

Calvin- Didn't know we had a local club. Thanks for the 411. Is that your Dads prop tank in the photos? Looks like it is going to be a sweet setup. I will have to hook up with ya'll sometime, although now that winter is here snowmobiling kinda takes over my life and the coral hobby kinda ends up on the back burner.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Actually they are the clubs frags tanks (currently stored at my Dad's) just for our frag swaps.

We get together once a month to shoot the bull and oogle at someone's tank, definately a good time for everyone! :D Not to mention frags almost always show up and are given out, plus some sweet raffles!

Hope to see you at one!

Thanks JC i have been lookin at maybe getting a skimmer. Have to wait and see if anybody fires one of these up and how they preform.

Looks like they will be 35 bucks so if nobody steps up maybe I will go ahead and just get one.

HeyLookItsCaps
look what I found from oceanicprotein skimmer made by oceanic for the biocubehttp://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/bio...ein-skimmer.htm
i saw that unit too, in person. its almost like a half sized one. have you heard of any reviews? link is dead by the way

im thinking with my 10th pay check im gonna go get one. my buddy at the LFS i go to has one waitin for me. he wants 50

10th paycheck? what paycheck are you on now? I could never be that patient to plan something out that far ahead.

I think I will wait a few weeks and wait for someone to get one going before deciding. I am not even too sure that I need a skimmer. I do water changes twice a week and have some corals that are supposed to benefit from not skimming ie: suncoral, goniopora.

Well I finally got a new computer so I can post some pics again. Last computer got fried by lightening :o

Everything has been happy and healthy still only one loss to date, a pep shrimp that I watched get murdered by his so called buddy. I also made a noob error early on and dipped my blastos without adjusting the ph. Fried the little buggers but they are slowly limping back.

The beginnings of my zoa garden. Just glued these frags onto a rock I had been curing

zoagarden.jpg

Start of a Ric waterfall, both are almost done splitting!

rics.jpg

Cool shots

palygarden.jpg

sunnybrain.jpg

torchsong.jpg

My little skunk was wanting his pic taken

lepew.jpg

FTS

FTS.jpg

RTS

RTS.jpg

LTS

LTS.jpg

Just after taking these pics I realized my goniopora had toppled back behind the rock :o You can grab a peek at it thru the tunnel on the FTS. Will have to pick up some more glue tomorrow and solve that problem.

Thanks again to all who have helped me along with my tank, Without all of your help I am sure I would have made many..many mistakes.

Spanko..your next on the free frag thank you epresss!

Well if I have helped you at all that is thanx enough for me. If you are serious about the free frag thank you express please pay it forward to someone else that is in a position with their tank and it's maturity to accept it. I appreciate the offer believe and if my new bio-tope was in tune with your critters I would jump at it.

Keep going I love to read the posts by you, Digg and Dive and to follow everyones progress.

Almost forgot H2O seems to be coming along well too. His posts are very informative.

Awesome update man....everything looks simply amazing in the tank. I am really digging that zoa garden that you have started and it will look awesome once they start growing closer together. I seriously don't think there is much that beats out a carpet of zoas covering a nice piece of real estate :)

It's crazy how nice all of your euphyllia look in there....they have grown in so nicely and I bet it looks amazing with it all flowing back and forth in the tank. There is just something mesmerizing with frogspawn, hammer, torch, and other "tentacle" type LPS. Great job with the placement since it really does look like a forest back there.

Keep up the good work bud.

I have said it before and say it again, this is what I want to duplicate!

How do hammers and frogspawn do so close together? alright i assume?

stock lighting?

do you dose anything?

Thanks guys it's been fun setting up the tank, researching on NR and just enjoying the almost finished project.

Spanko-IYeah I'm a little slow sometimes, just read your sig and paid attention. Thats swet Many thanks again

Dive- The Euphyllias have really come along well. The crazy part is at night when the close, they almost completely receed in to their skeletal structure. The octospawn can have almost 7 inches of extension during the day so its cool to watch the whole process thru out the day. I want to post a vid now that I have a new computer. I tried posting one earlier but had some problems. When I preview the post the link works and takes me straight to the video on photobucket. But after I post it and try the link it only takes me to the photobucket home page. Is this just because I am the originator of the post? Would it still work for other people just not me? Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Dopamine-

Its fine for the hammers and frogspawns to touch and intermingle. During the height of their extension during the middle of the light cycle they completly engulf each other without any ill effects. From what I understand you just need to be carful of the torch coral. It can be very aggressive and sting the other Euphyllia corals.

Happy comingling

comingle.jpg

I run the nanotuner 4.36 light upgrade. From front to back I run 10,000k---Antinic---10,000k---50/50

The Antinic and the 50/50 come on first and go off last as part of my simulated sunrise/sunet. I run a 10 hour cycle with the first and last hours as the sunrise/sunset. This seems to give me the best growth and keeps algae down to a minimum.

I dose B-ionic two part 5ml once a week. I use to dose more often but since I now do 4 gallon water changes every 4 days it is not needed to keep my levels in check.

Oh yeah Dopamine I also run LR rubble in my #2 fuge with cheato and a 24/7 light...soooooooo :P

Just messing with ya cause I know you are currently pulling your rock. All my water passes thru a filter pad before entering my refugium so I have no detritus build up like others have described, plus I run a small CUC consisting of stomatellas and bristle worms.

Hmmm...that's weird about posting a video. The only thing that I do to post one from photobucket is upload it from my computer and then make sure that you grab the right code from their page. That is pretty strange though that it previews alright and then when you set it to publish, it takes you just to the homepage. I would just monkey around with it and see if it works. You can always just PM one of us the code and see if we can post it. :)

that is awesome. I am thinking about just sitting tight until after christmas and upgrading my lights. I have my fuge light running 24/7 right now. hopefully kickstart some growth back there.

I thought you ran your fuge with just macro. I run a filter between chambers 1 and 2 as well and still have some rock back there. Slowly but sure taking it out...I dont know why....I feel like everything you hear to do is being argued elsewhere.

I guess time will tell. Keep with the updates, they are extremely helpful!

Great tank! I'm tired of seeing pics of people's tanks with too much actinic. You've got a very natural looking reef, great job!

Yeah I messed around with different bulbs in different spots and finally came up with this current set up which I really like. It also make for a great sunset with the actinic and the 50/50 on. Thanks

I meant to ask, how are you clowns doing in the tank? Are you planning on any other fish? Maybe a smaller guy? Thanks again for the frags bud...that meant a lot to me.

Fish are doing sweet at 4 weeks now.

They play in the Euphyllia but have not made one a home or have truly hosted anything yet.

They are just getting rid of a little bruising from the whole sexing process but they have worked things and are getting along. They line up for their regular cleaning from my cleaner shrimp. The shirmp has his lttle station and he directs them in with his long white feelers. Pretty cool to watch.

Not sure about any other fish for now. Nothing really that I have to have, would rather spend the money and bio-load on corals!

Had to move a few things around in the tank today because the Octospawn was clogging the bottom vents with its tentacles. Attached it to the back on the left side with another mag frag. So cool to just be able to slide the other hammers and frogspawns over. Loving these mag-frags!!

I'll post some pics tomorrow when things settle in.

Fed my suncorals some silversides last night....damn do they love the stuff

cool pic after feasting..full extenison...check the vent on the right for size comparision

sunnydaze.jpg

Archived