Top Shelf Aquatics

Tudizzle's BC29

TUDIZZLE

I finally picked up some superglue gel and attached a zoa frag to a branch of tonga and mounted my hammer to the back wall on frag mag

a few pics

FTS

newscape001.jpg

from the side so you can see the hammer

newscape002.jpg

zoa on a tonga branch

newscape004.jpg

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

picked up some new coral along with a 50/50 bulb and an aquaglove(finally).

Going to switchout one of the actinics from my nanotuner 4.36 and replace with the 50/50 bulb. I will get some before and after pics to see if there is any real difference. I am also going to relocate my moon lights farther forward on the fixture. Right now all the moonlight just hits the back .25 of the tank. Has anybody else noticed this and made any changes?

Here are a few pics of the new stuff

Brain

dabrain.jpg

upclose w/ feeder tentacles out

feederbrain.jpg

First Ric(photos don't due the colors justice)

firstric.jpg

yellow polys

newpally.jpg

up close and personal

macroyellow.jpg

Neon green and pink frogspawn (purchased as a hammer)

newesthammer.jpg

I too am mezmerized by dem polyps, definetly one of my new favorites.

The pics come off my HP Photosmart R967. Just a small compact point and shoot (handheld no tripod) but it takes pics in 10 megapixels, which allows me to cut and crop and really zoom in on a pic without losing any resolution. I am always surprised by the pics that it takes

Sweet brain man....once I get done moving my tank at the end of this month, I am definitely either going to get a lobo. Those yellow polyps are pretty sweet...I'm sure they look great in the tank and I bet they add some nice color.

couldn't help my self........................

new purple and green palys

newpaly.jpg

new neon green tip hammer

newhammer.jpg

a current FTS

opps.jpg

I also ordered a neon green octospawn that will be at my LRS in a couple of weeks.

Sweet brain man....once I get done moving my tank at the end of this month, I am definitely either going to get a lobo. Those yellow polyps are pretty sweet...I'm sure they look great in the tank and I bet they add some nice color.

I never realized how cool the brain was until I spot fed it at night. It was a purchase the wife made and I wasn't all that thrilled until the lights went out. The feeder tentacles came out and when it is given some mysis shrimp the mouths puff up and it almost folds over on itself...totally cool!

It always makes me think of Dawn of the Dead....Brains...brains...me want brains....

dang Tudd you have like 30ft. of loc line.. WOW, i am jelous of those purple and green palys... Awsome.. let me know when your gonna frag me a piece..hehe Palys rule

dang Tudd you have like 30ft. of loc line.. WOW, i am jelous of those purple and green palys... Awsome.. let me know when your gonna frag me a piece..hehe Palys rule

I know I am trying out a new config with some flow coming thru the main rocks. Not sure if I like it yet but once the back wall is covered with hammers they should not be visible. With that much plumbing I may have to jump up to a rio10hf!

Besides it is only like 29 ft B)

I started out with about 22lbs in the display and 7lbs in the back chambers. I figure about 27lbs in the main display now that I have been adding pieces attached to rocks.

I picked up a peppermint shrimp last week. He spends most of the day hiding in a small cave. But at night he loves to swim hot laps around the tank and kick it on my Koralia 1. I was always afraid he would get sucked in and chopped up. Well this morning I woke up to find his body and feelers hanging on the back. I was sad for about a minute when I remember happy shrimp molt, and that is exactly what it was...phew. Well I guess he is happy!

I also put my 50/50 in instead of the blue on the back fixture of my 4.36. Can't see a noticable difference when all the lights are on but during my sunset and sunrise it looks sweet. It really feels like the sun is rising from the back with a nice soft light filtering thru to the front.

intereste in trading some of those yellow palys and purple/green palys...?

Purple and greens for sure but the yellows are on such a sweet rock I'm not ready to break off a piece quite yet.

Moved another hammer to the back wall with a frag mag, I had to frag off one head to make it fit. First time breaking apart coral kinda nerve racking. Just pulled out my handy nips and snip. Also fraged a zoa and a blasto. I hope I don't go overboard since it was so easy...must keep hands out of tank...resist the temptation.

New FTS

newestFTS.jpg

Frags attached to LR

secondfrag.jpg

Hammer about the size of half dollar

firstfrags008.jpg

A cool pic of brain eating mysis(under flash)

firstfrags001.jpg

Tank is looking awesome man. If you ever want to frag one of those blastos again, I will make sure we can work out a trade. Things need to grow out a little bit more in my tank zoa-wise but once they do, I am all about sharing the wealth.

I will be happy when I get to the point where I can start trading.

Thanks guys having a dedicated reef shop nearby has really made putting together my cube easy, or at least easier.

Dive let me know when you are ready, I'll frag some stuff for you anytime. Both you and Digg have been very helpful in this process and I have no problem spreading the love.

I have been watching this hammer as it has acclimated over the past week and started to fully expand only to realize it is a frogspawn.

froghammer002.jpg

So I guess I should go back and edit my old post, and I also got a good deal because, at least at my LRS, the hammers are usually cheaper.

well I have been a little dissatisfied with the current filter mod that I have been running. This mod invloved stripping down the stock filter frame and replacing the medium with inexpensive filter medium. At times I was getting tiny particles in the main display and a dusty appearance on the surface. So I have worked up a new filter mod and have been running it for a few days, it has eleviated the above problems and has been working great. Here are pics and details for those interested.

I removed the filter from chamber 1 altogether. I took the stock drip tray from chamber 2 and cut it down to about 3". I then flipped it over and removed all of the fins from the bottom of the tray. This way filter medium would properly seat into it.

newfilter002.jpg

The original tray was held in place by a lip on three sides of the overflow chamber. Since the tray no longer covers the entire span of chamber two I needed to mount a small tab to help hold the new tray in place.

newfilter005.jpg

Since there was no lip on the back glass for the original drip tray I had to remove a tiny portion of the new drip tray to compensate for the new tab I had mounted.

newfilter009.jpg

Now I just dropped the new filter mod into place, and let'er rip.

newfilter014.jpg

Another advantage of this filter mod is that when it starts to get clogged the water just passes over the tray eliminating the whole "chambers out of balance" problem I had been experiencing with the other filter mod.

Well I hope this all makes sense? Any questions or comments are welcome.

Nice work bud....great idea as well. Nothing like a little ingenuity. It's always nice taking some parts that you have laying around and banging away and gluing to solve a problem. I think that's what makes the BC so nice...plenty o' ways to fix problems.

Picked up a sweet colony of pink palys today, as soon as they acclimate I will post some pics. I also noticed about 20 dots of purple coraline growing on my back wall and some larger patches on my Koralia ........ WOHOOO!

My tank is just over two months.......props to B-ionic!!

Archived