ReefCleaners.org

My (somewhat) cube build

smcnally

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought no way was this thing going to look as good as the design. I can can admit it - I was sooooo very wrong... Awesome.

Uhm..what won't that remote do?

I thought no way was this thing going to look as good as the design. I can can admit it - I was sooooo very wrong... Awesome.

Uhm..what won't that remote do?

I thought the same thing! Google Sketchup rocks though! I get all excited every time I look at how the final product is looking just like my model. I recommend that anyone considering building anything draw it up in Sketchup first.

As for the Crestron system...It really can control just about anything. It can control basically anything that can be talked to via RS232, Ethernet, Infrared, etc.

are their more economical systems for the more basic things that would work for this system?

There really aren't any less expensive systems out there that I know of that work well and give you two way communications. The latest one to come out that is cheaper is called "Control 4". The cheapest route would be to use a PC with a touch screen monitor and a custom web interface.

I got my black acrylic cut for the overflow divider today. I'm hoping to be able to do the overflow with no teeth...we'll see how that goes :D

When I got home, I drilled and mounted the closed loop to the divider. I didn't glue it yet because I want to see how well it all fits with the stand pipe and return pipe.

dsc04608.jpg

dsc04607.jpg

Tonight I siliconed all the seams in the sump (just extra safety measure :D) and installed the first baffle...I need more acrylic and silicone.

dsc04609.jpg

I also installed the overflow divider with closed loop.

dsc04611.jpg

dsc04612.jpg

Fishfreak218
LOL! I could at least have the TV remote control it. I actually program control systems for work so it wouldn't be hard. I will be controlling eveything from a touch panel. Here is a picture of what I'm using now...I just need to pull the wave timer controls off and put the lift controls there. The wave timer function wasn't cutting it anyways.

CrestronTouchPanel640.jpg

:omgomgomg:

you deal with Crestron?

Im getting that put in my new house in Aspen.... Does yours control the temp. too? My friend also has it in his house [also in Aspen] and he has those...

Im getting one of those controlers for my room but it wont control temp. or lights :( just TV, PS3, and iPod...

but its still cool.

I'm hoping to be able to do the overflow with no teeth...we'll see how that goes biggrin.gif

how is that going to work? I see the acrylic wall is lower than the glass ones... will the water spill all over the false wall or are you going to cut something?

:omgomgomg:

you deal with Crestron?

Im getting that put in my new house in Aspen.... Does yours control the temp. too? My friend also has it in his house [also in Aspen] and he has those...

Im getting one of those controlers for my room but it wont control temp. or lights :( just TV, PS3, and iPod...

but its still cool.

Yes, I am a Crestron programmer. I'm actually getting ready to write a module that will integrate an Aqua Controller III with Crestron and provide full control and feedback of the DC8s and poll for status of all the probes.

how is that going to work? I see the acrylic wall is lower than the glass ones... will the water spill all over the false wall or are you going to cut something?

It's going to spill over the top of the wall.

Updates?

No updates yet. I was away for the weekend and was hoping on working on it tonight, but got home too late. I finished the sump baffles on Friday though and plan on doing another leak test on the tank and a leak test on the sump tomorrow. If all is well then my next step is to finish the stand and put a finish on it. Once that is all set I can set it all up.

dude your set up is sick. very well thought out

Thanks!

Not much of an update today...Tonight I painted the sides and back of the overflow and test filled the sump. I'll let the sump sit filled until I get home from work tomorrow. It looked fine tonight and seeing as though it didn't make any creeks or noises while filling I don't think it will have any issues.

dsc04624.jpg

dsc04622.jpg

So now for the good news and the bad. The good news is that the sump/stand held water just fine over night. The other good news is that I got the stand and canopy all sanded and applied the first coat of tung oil last night. They are going to look amazing after a few coats! The bad new is that when I painted the tank I thought it would be cool to use this "rubber" paint that is used to make non-skid surfaces. The problem is it doesn't stick to glass very well. It looked awesome and had this dull rubber finish, but when I weant to move the tank I noticed the corner peeled. When I pulled on it, the entire side "rubber" peeled off in one piece leaving a nice clean glass pane. So, I peeled all of it off and will re-mask it and roll on some rustoleum like I did with my last tank...at least I know that stuff stays on :D

nice build, how much was the glass?

Right around $195 with the starfire front pane. The place I went to only charged $10 more per pane at that size for starfire...I should have had the 2 sides cut out of starfire too, but didn't think of it in time.:rolleyes:

LOL! I could at least have the TV remote control it. I actually program control systems for work so it wouldn't be hard. I will be controlling eveything from a touch panel. Here is a picture of what I'm using now...I just need to pull the wave timer controls off and put the lift controls there. The wave timer function wasn't cutting it anyways.

CrestronTouchPanel640.jpg

OMG that is the sexiest thing I've ever seen. I'm definitely contacting you if I ever build a home.

Oh, I should add... would you consider making it so that the hood doesn't come in contact with the rim of the tank? It completely defeats the sexiness of a rimless tank when the hood covers the rim IMO.

... would you consider making it so that the hood doesn't come in contact with the rim of the tank? It completely defeats the sexiness of a rimless tank when the hood covers the rim IMO.

The normal "Closed" position will be around an inch above the top of the tank.

you're not the least bit worried by not having a rim on a tank that tall?

Not at all. I only had 3/64" of deflection with it filled with more water than it will ever hold, so I would say it's going to be just fine.

Archived