Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My (somewhat) cube build

smcnally

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Juanhunglo69

The black silicone that you used is the norm here in Germany. We found a a few tubes of the stuff in our LFS. They make tanks instore and apparently buy in bulk because none of the tubes had labels on them. They were labeled in a black magic marker though, it said "black power" right on the tube. That is funny stuff considering the country that I found it in.

That's interesting about the silicone :)

Here's a small update...This is how the stand is looking after 3 coats of finish. I'll be applying the final 2 coats tomorrow. We'll also be doing a second leak test of the tank tomorrow just to be extra safe.

dsc04635.jpg

dsc04633.jpg

scarf_ace1981

i'm confused. the left side of the sump wont be accessible will it? i mean those shelves are in the way, arent they?

i'm confused. the left side of the sump wont be accessible will it? i mean those shelves are in the way, arent they?

If you look at the shelf unit you can see a screw that isn't in all the way. That screw and two on the side hold the shelf unit in place. Once those three screws are removed, the whole shelf unit slides out for full access of the sump. The screw is sticking out in that picture because I had just slid the shelf unit in just for the picture.

Here we go! I got the last coat of finish on today and the stand looks great! I also cut the drawer fronts and other doors today and got them prepped for finish.

We performed one more leak test because we wanted to be sure there were no small leaks. It was hard for us to tell last time because the tank had so much condensation from the cold water. This time we kept the water in barrels over night so it would warm up.

For those of you that always worry about whether or not some stands are built strong enough, what do you think about this?

dsc04638.jpg

We left it full for a few hours and all was well...

dsc04637.jpg

Then I wired the lighting and mounted the ballasts

dsc04640.jpg

And then tested it out

dsc04641.jpg

Hurry up already:} I cant wait to see this thing done. You did an amazing job so far.

Thanks! Not to shabby for 16 days worth of work huh? :D

I'm hoping to have it in my living room tomorrow night and filling up.

I've always wanted nice large caves but could never get my rock to look right. So today I decided to go ahead and make my own out of pond foam. I'm going to still keep a lot of my rock, but it will be in the sump.

Here's how I built the frame

dsc04642.jpg

And here's a picture of it starting to cure. I sprinkled epsom salts all over it. Supposedly when I rinse it, the slats will leave a more rough surface to make it look even more like rock.

dsc04643.jpg

scarf_ace1981
And here's a picture of it starting to cure. I sprinkled epsom salts all over it. Supposedly when I rinse it, the slats will leave a more rough surface to make it look even more like rock.

genius

Thanks guys :)

Well I moved it all to my house to get ready for a filling. Al lI need to do is get the power distribution wired to it, get it leveled, and then start filling her up!

dsc04644.jpg

I was thinking of using this knob set for the stand. What do you all think?

that might be overdoing it, you have a very modern looking tank and tank stand, I think I would get something cleaner but then at the end of the day I'm not the one starring at this beautiful tank everyday

that might be overdoing it, you have a very modern looking tank and tank stand, I think I would get something cleaner but then at the end of the day I'm not the one starring at this beautiful tank everyday

Maybe you're right. The knobs aren't that expensive, so maybe I'll get this set and another more modern style set and see which looks better on it.

oh wow, i was impressed up until you busted out the pond foam.

What don't you like about the pond foam? It will look completely real once it is covered in coraline and other gunk. Plus it will be mostly covered with corals and some other rock as well.

i think it looks good, might have done it taller but oh well

What would have you done taller? The foam rock? I'll be putting some real rock on top of it.

smcnally, I think he meant you should have made the tank taller, which I totally don't agree with. I think the tank size/height is perfect.

There is just something about putting artificial rock, or anything artificial for that matter, into a tank that isn't very pleasing. It's like you went through all this trouble to custom build a beautiful tank and display, and you're going to fill it with pond foam. Won't it prevent all sorts of life from living inside what would normally be live rock? It'll be like have a big lifeless void in the middle of your tank.

Perhaps i'm just a naturalist, but I'd go out and just see what kind of rock you can find. If anything, I think it would be amazing to get a bunch of live rock, and with some submersible/waterproof glue, form a cave by gluing pieces of live rock together. I'm sure you'll be happier with it in the end.

But again, you might just end up proving me wrong.

smcnally, I think he meant you should have made the tank taller, which I totally don't agree with. I think the tank size/height is perfect.

There is just something about putting artificial rock, or anything artificial for that matter, into a tank that isn't very pleasing. It's like you went through all this trouble to custom build a beautiful tank and display, and you're going to fill it with pond foam. Won't it prevent all sorts of life from living inside what would normally be live rock? It'll be like have a big lifeless void in the middle of your tank.

Perhaps i'm just a naturalist, but I'd go out and just see what kind of rock you can find. If anything, I think it would be amazing to get a bunch of live rock, and with some submersible/waterproof glue, form a cave by gluing pieces of live rock together. I'm sure you'll be happier with it in the end.

But again, you might just end up proving me wrong.

I totally understand what you mean and that is why I was asking you to explain further. I was a little bummed out with how large it came out after it all expanded, but I do like the overall look of it. It actually does have a lot of nooks and crannies in it, although not the tunnel systems you see in a lot of rock. The one thing that I really do like about it though is the bottom half. As soon as I placed in the tank I pictured my watchman goby perched in one area guarding his area while other critters hung out in the other caves.

Maybe what I will do it shave the top part down some to allow for more real rock. I will still have a lot of rock in my system, but it will mostly be in my sump.

Well it's definitely a well crafted, well thought out cave system. I suppose it's not any more unnatural than a sunken ship covered in barnacles and marine life. It will take time to become completely covered with coralline and other such life, but when it does it will look beautiful.

Fishfreak218

I think, with those knobs, that there is to much inconsistancy.. you have a different knob on each door, I would do 3 of the drawers the same and the door differantly IMO.

But thats only if you really love those knobs. They are cool but I think a more modern knob would look better

Archived