Top Shelf Aquatics

My (somewhat) cube build

smcnally

hey

quick question. How does someone control, in your case the controller, via the serial port. Is there something special that the equipment needs to have or is almost anything with a serial port controllable via the serial port? I only ask because I see your going to use the Aqua Jr and control it but I was wondering if the same can be done with the Reefkeeper 2 and if so how hard would it be to do something like that.

Thanks!

Basically, anything with a serial port usually has some sort of functionality through the port. You just need something that can send strings to it and parse out what it it gets back and the manufacturer has to be willing to share their command structure. In the case of the Aqua Controller, it wasn't to bad. My control system sends a command every 3 seconds for the current status. The AC Jr sends back one long string with the status of everything all at once. When that comes into my processor, I parse all the info I want out of the string and have it displayed on the touch panel. I'm sure the RK2 could be done the same way, but I'm not positive because I haven't seen any of there RS232 documentation. I'm actually getting ready to write a programming module that will interface my type of control system (Crestron) with the AC III and it will not only give status of all the probes, but it will also give status of all the DC8s and let you individually control them. It's pretty cool stuff :)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great! I've forward this link to the builder of the RK2 and hopefully it'll get them to do the same.

You might have overlooked my earlier question, but what UPS system do you use on this? The skimmer and then the UPS system are next on the purchasing list.

Eddie

great! I've forward this link to the builder of the RK2 and hopefully it'll get them to do the same.

You might have overlooked my earlier question, but what UPS system do you use on this? The skimmer and then the UPS system are next on the purchasing list.

Eddie

The UPS is just a standard APC "Back-UPS Pro". It also has RS-232 control. Do you have a control system at home? If so, what type? The company I work for actually specializes in custom integration with Crestron control systems, so if Digital Aquatics would be interested in having an integration module written for their gear I could check out their protocol and see if it is something my boss would be interested in doing.

I'm running the Reefkeeper 2, I just got it about 2 weeks ago. I was planning on using a Lantronix Wibox to hook it up via Wifi but I got cheap and lazy and decided to find the cheapest thing out on craigslist.com that was running XP. I got the webserver feature up last night, no where as cool as yours, http://69.242.189.49/index.html Which btw, your webpage isn't working anymore. I, and I'm sure others, would to see something like this for the RK2. Scott is my contact via reefcentral that I contact at digitalaquatics with when I have problems/questions.

I just realized that I didn't answer your first question. No I don't, I just graduated from college and moved back with the rents. I should be moving out to my new house late next year, well thats the plan at least. I really like this control idea and would be willing to have it installed

I changed the domain for my web interface. When I posted it here it was getting slammed by people checking it out and it didn't like getting hit that many times in such a short period.

I just checked out your web server and that is pretty sweet!

do you have just the essentials hooked up to the UPS?

I actually just have my cable modem/router, control processor, and my Aqua Controller connected to it for now but I will probably put a small powerhead on it for circulation. I have it set to it sends a text message to my phone when the power goes out and also when it comes back on. The great thing about it is that even though my power is out, I can still look in and see if haw quickly the temperature is falling or climbing and get home if needed.

I've been following this thread the entire time, since it's inception and i must say this tank is VERY impressive. I love the ingenuity of some of it's features,such as the hood. Amazing Job. Now for the downer. Maybe this is just me, but i think that pacific live rock or fiji live rock would've looked stunning in there. secondly i would change your lighting, or at least add a couple actinic bulbs (unless you already have) as the purple light really doesn't bring out your already INTERESTING rock formation. Again absolutely incredible tank build, incredible controller and amazing sump and drawer build.

I was also thinking that the knobs you originally chose would look quite good with that stain as i'm not sure anyone in this forum has ever actually been exposed to real modern furniture. go look at knoll or something. I like the knobs you picked just don't use all different ones for the drawers.

I also liked your original plan of having a switch panel, although that might just be me completely insane love for control panels.

-David

I've been following this thread the entire time, since it's inception and i must say this tank is VERY impressive. I love the ingenuity of some of it's features,such as the hood. Amazing Job. Now for the downer. Maybe this is just me, but i think that pacific live rock or fiji live rock would've looked stunning in there. secondly i would change your lighting, or at least add a couple actinic bulbs (unless you already have) as the purple light really doesn't bring out your already INTERESTING rock formation. Again absolutely incredible tank build, incredible controller and amazing sump and drawer build.

I was also thinking that the knobs you originally chose would look quite good with that stain as i'm not sure anyone in this forum has ever actually been exposed to real modern furniture. go look at knoll or something. I like the knobs you picked just don't use all different ones for the drawers.

I also liked your original plan of having a switch panel, although that might just be me completely insane love for control panels.

-David

Thanks for the cunstructive criticism, I also do not "dig" the purplish hue the lights are giving me. Believe it or not, I have an Actinic03 bulb in there, but I think the UV brand 11,000k bulbs look awfully purple. I'm thinking of adding 2 more T5s and if I do I will order some of the "Superblue" bulbs. I think that should balance it out. As for the knobs, I will probably go with the starfish knobs on the left and the seahorse on the larger door. I temporarily put standard knobs on it for now because the others are special order and I actually like the look of these on it a lot.

dsc04709.jpg

Please excuse the cloudiness in the tank, I plumbed my closed loop today and it mixed things up a bit. Here's how clear it was before I did the CL and knobs.

dsc04707.jpg

Well, my foam rock didn't hold...The silicon held up just fine, but the foam itself let go of the PVC. Guess I'll be curing some of that rock I killed to get it back in this tank:(

My hood was down when it popped so I'm lucky it didn't smash my lights.

dsc04710.jpg

Well, my foam rock didn't hold...The silicon held up just fine, but the foam itself let go of the PVC. Guess I'll be curing some of that rock I killed to get it back in this tank:(

My hood was down when it popped so I'm lucky it didn't smash my lights.

oh dear. well such is life. i knew that pond foam was shady stuff. Trust me you can make some really nice cave formations with a few nice pieces of LR and just think maybe you'll get a mantis!!! WOOHOO. i can see the plus sides to having a custom foam formation and it did look fairly realistic. The tank is looking wonderful. i wish i had this kind of craftmanship. lastly i'm glad that i'm not the only one who noticed the purple lighting, but it sounds like you have that under control as well, so go! quick! rescue that poor clown fish.

-David

LOL...I have plenty of rock to work with. In fact I just gave away about 60 lbs Friday night. I think I can us the rock I have in my sump and make it work fine. Especially since the bases to the foam rock are still there.

I like the look of the rock better.

BTW, your tank design is incredible...nice work!

Thank You!

Alright, here's the final shots. The water has cleared up and I'm very happy with the way the rock came out. I actually like it better than I liked the foam. :P

Full Tank and Stand

dsc04721.jpg

Full Frontal

dsc04723.jpg

Left Side

dsc04725.jpg

Right Side

dsc04726.jpg

Top Down (this is with the pumps on!)

dsc04728.jpg

This tank build is techie incredible, the touch screen control takes the cake. Sure you've heard it before but great job. Everything about this build was top notch. Personally I like the LR much better than the foam, it will function better for filtration. Not that you don't have a large enough sump. I'd be interested to see more photos of the sump, skimmer and inside of the cabinets and drawers. The cabinet build is cool, automatic hood, dude you rule :D Just would like to see how it all works.

Also what type of Monti Caps do you have and how long did it take for them to grow the size they are now?

dude......i had no idea....

a touch screen?? good god man its just a fish tank! :lol:

this has to be the most impressive tank ive seen online period....

this tank is more badas s than the dude that took out a section of his house to build a massive tank in the basement! (somwhere on monsterfishkeepers.com)

what kind of programs/ equipment would you need to hook a tank up to a computer? for those of us who cant get a touch screen for our tanks......

This tank build is techie incredible, the touch screen control takes the cake. Sure you've heard it before but great job. Everything about this build was top notch. Personally I like the LR much better than the foam, it will function better for filtration. Not that you don't have a large enough sump. I'd be interested to see more photos of the sump, skimmer and inside of the cabinets and drawers. The cabinet build is cool, automatic hood, dude you rule :D Just would like to see how it all works.

Also what type of Monti Caps do you have and how long did it take for them to grow the size they are now?

Thanks, I can never get enough of people saying they like it. It really means a lot and I'm pretty shocked myself that it came out as nice as it did. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of the sump and cabinet areas tonight to post them. I'll put a picture of the drawer section at the bottom of this post so you can see how that was built to be a removable unit. It actually only has one drawer and the two above it are removable fake drawers. They pop off and are basically shelves. I made it that way to maximize the room I hade, but I may just make them really shallow drawers to hold small things like tongs, nets, and my refractometer. The monti caps both were in my tank for about a year and a half. The orange one started out as a 2"x4" frag and the purple was a 1"x2" frag.

dude......i had no idea....

a touch screen?? good god man its just a fish tank! :lol:

this has to be the most impressive tank ive seen online period....

this tank is more badas s than the dude that took out a section of his house to build a massive tank in the basement! (somwhere on monsterfishkeepers.com)

what kind of programs/ equipment would you need to hook a tank up to a computer? for those of us who cant get a touch screen for our tanks......

LOL! Thank You! I only did the touch screen because I got it for free and I program those control systems full time. If you want basic PC control of your tank, your best bet is to go with an aqua controller or reefkeeper. I'm actually using an AC Jr to talk to my panel.

Here's that picture

cabinet.jpg

This has definitely been one of the best build threads EVAH! Stupendous work. (And I'm glad the foam popped. The LR looks much better, IMO.)

--bubbles

Archived