Top Shelf Aquatics

My (somewhat) cube build

smcnally

I love your sketchup drawings. Is there enough beef at the points where the bottom rails and the top rails overlap when fully extenede to support the weight of the hood and all of its lighting?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love your sketchup drawings. Is there enough beef at the points where the bottom rails and the top rails overlap when fully extenede to support the weight of the hood and all of its lighting?

Thanks! Yes, the rails will actually support the load. There's enough wood because the rails will be screwed to about 10 inches of each piece of wood. It would be easier to see it I drew the rails in, but I just didn't have time. The rails will support 100lbs fully extended. I would say the weight of the hood when compounded by the way it extends probably will be putting around 40lbs of force on the rails (if that). The hood weighs about 10-15 lbs with no lighting. The lighting going in it is just T5 so between the bulbs, reflectors, and ballasts it will probably add about another 5-10 pounds.

Cool. And in the drawing it looks like the rails may be notched in the part that attaches to the cabinet to allow some of the rail to sit on the horizontal part of the top of the cabinet. Are you intentions to attach the rail assembly from the inside through the back of the cabinet as well as from the inside through the top of the cabinet?

Cool. And in the drawing it looks like the rails may be notched in the part that attaches to the cabinet to allow some of the rail to sit on the horizontal part of the top of the cabinet. Are you intentions to attach the rail assembly from the inside through the back of the cabinet as well as from the inside through the top of the cabinet?

The rails will just mount to the boards. I didn't see any need to go through the cabinet, plus I would like to keep all the moisture away from them.

circusordie16

very cool idea, the only thing i think you need to worry about is the bending in the hood support. what did you use to paint the inside of your hood?

very cool idea, the only thing i think you need to worry about is the bending in the hood support. what did you use to paint the inside of your hood?

Hi, the hood doesn't have a support that can bend. It will be solid maple connected to solid maple. The only other supports will be the actuator which can handle 800lbs and the drawer slides that can handle 100lbs. I used Epoxy paint on the inside of the hood.

circusordie16
Hi, the hood doesn't have a support that can bend. It will be solid maple connected to solid maple. The only other supports will be the actuator which can handle 800lbs and the drawer slides that can handle 100lbs. I used Epoxy paint on the inside of the hood.

right i was just referring to to any bowing it might undergo due to having the hood extending outwards. but since its maple and it only goes up to 18" high it should be alright. thanks for the paint info!

We built the lift mechanism today and it works great but I forgot my camera. I'll take a video of it tomorrow and post it here.

the only thing is to have a keyloss fob and have the lights blink at you...impressive and kudos for something creative

LOL! I could at least have the TV remote control it. I actually program control systems for work so it wouldn't be hard. I will be controlling eveything from a touch panel. Here is a picture of what I'm using now...I just need to pull the wave timer controls off and put the lift controls there. The wave timer function wasn't cutting it anyways.

CrestronTouchPanel640.jpg

LOL! I could at least have the TV remote control it. I actually program control systems for work so it wouldn't be hard. I will be controlling eveything from a touch panel. Here is a picture of what I'm using now...I just need to pull the wave timer controls off and put the lift controls there. The wave timer function wasn't cutting it anyways.

CrestronTouchPanel640.jpg

Dude that thing is insane. Your tank design is amazing. As clean as I am trying to get mine your is just in a class by itself.

Thanks for the compliments guys. The touch panel is way overkill, but definitely fun. Here is a screen shot of how it will look for the new tank:

panel.png

and this is what the lighting schedule page will look like

schedule.png

so your saying that perhaps you could make some sort of touchscreen control system for a Reefkeeper 2 or Aqua Controller Jr?

Woo...I got a good idea...add a lighting system so that you can make it stormy when you want

so your saying that perhaps you could make some sort of touchscreen control system for a Reefkeeper 2 or Aqua Controller Jr?

Woo...I got a good idea...add a lighting system so that you can make it stormy when you want

Yes, I'm interfacing with an Aqua Controller with my control system. It isn't worth it to most people though because the touch panel and control system are pretty pricey. It is only worth it to people that already have these control systems already in their home.

You're like that guy on TV that could make a bomb form a paper clip, a roll of toliet paper, and some baking soda!!!!

LOL

That is an awesome build. can i ask what you do for a living? you must be somekinda professional. Gonna tag along for the final outcome..

That is an awesome build. can i ask what you do for a living? you must be somekinda professional. Gonna tag along for the final outcome..

Thanks! I program Crestron control systems. They are high end control systems that go into homes and commercial environments. In homes they are used mainly to control audio/video, lighting, and HVAC. Before that I was a heavy equipment mechanic in the Air Force. I've always loved building things out of wood though. Someday I'll have my own workshop, but for now I have to use my friend's basement.

don't mind me asking, about how much are you saying because I won't add it on the 58 but when I build my house then it would be great!

don't mind me asking, about how much are you saying because I won't add it on the 58 but when I build my house then it would be great!

A touch panel that size new runs around $5,000 retail and the processor I'm running runs $1,500 new. Then you would need to pay for the dealer to program it which usually runs around $150 per hour.

Here's a clear shot of the hood fully raised from when I took the video

dsc04604.jpg

And here's a shot of the lighting that I just finished wiring. I went with just 4 T5 HO for now, but will most likely add 2 more.

dsc04605.jpg

Archived