Innovative Marine Aquariums

My (somewhat) cube build

smcnally

smcnally, I think he meant you should have made the tank taller, which I totally don't agree with. I think the tank size/height is perfect.

Nope, smcnally had understood me right to begin with. I would have made the rock formation taller but he's putting rock on top of what he did so it should look great. I'm all about the foam especially if we can save our planet a bit

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Steve,

I'm in the process of setting up a cube tank with a false wall and closed loop as well. I have the tank and skimmer and am getting ready to build the false wall and baffles to accomodate everything. I was just wondering what kinds of corals you were intending to keep? And are you going to place nozzles or flares (or some other fitting) in the returns you've glued into the false wall or is the water going to just return back through the fittings glued into the wall as you have now?

The reason I'm asking is because I plan on having an SPS dominated tank and am constantly changing my mind about using LocLine and bulkheads. I'm now debating just using fittings glued into the false wall without any nozzles or flares. But what kind of flow would you get out of this arrangement? I assume it would have less velocity than a nozzle and probably be more turbulent but I'm not certain. What do you think?

Hey Steve,

I'm in the process of setting up a cube tank with a false wall and closed loop as well. I have the tank and skimmer and am getting ready to build the false wall and baffles to accomodate everything. I was just wondering what kinds of corals you were intending to keep? And are you going to place nozzles or flares (or some other fitting) in the returns you've glued into the false wall or is the water going to just return back through the fittings glued into the wall as you have now?

The reason I'm asking is because I plan on having an SPS dominated tank and am constantly changing my mind about using LocLine and bulkheads. I'm now debating just using fittings glued into the false wall without any nozzles or flares. But what kind of flow would you get out of this arrangement? I assume it would have less velocity than a nozzle and probably be more turbulent but I'm not certain. What do you think?

I was going to try it with no nozzles but it they are standard 3/4 PVC so I can adapt them later if needed. I plan on keeping mostly LPS and softies, but will have a few SPS up top. The holes in the false wall are actually for a closed loop. The return will come out of the loc-line above. I think for SPS, you are better of with tons of non directional/random flow.

Keeping it clean B) . What language do you program in.

Thanks, I program in SIMPL and starting to learn SIMPL+ which is a lot like C++. They are both proprietary programming languages for Crestron control systems.

Here's a few more pictures for now...

I painted my plumbing with Krylon Fusion and it looks WAY better. I also siliconed the "rock" in place.

dsc04648.jpg

A shot of how it will look closed up (it will close a bit more but I sliconed on some spacers and they are still drying)

dsc04652.jpg

The sump filled up :)

dsc04655.jpg

Progress!

Thanks to Greg (Delta) I got a lot done last night! I started the move not realizing what I was getting myself into, called for help, and Greg came to the rescue :o

Note to self: It is much easier to go larger in size...when you go smaller, you need to find places to put everything until it all has new homes.

So last night we got the tank 98% empty (I need to get the rest of the sand out today and clean it) and all the corals were moved into tubs and my new sump/tank. Everything looks happy so far although my acropora slimed up like a mutha! Surprisingly, the tank was pretty clear this morning. I'm hoping that the between the carbon I'm running right now and the skimmer going, that it will be nice and clear by tonight. Here are some pictures from last night and this morning. Check out how real that fake rock looks since it got a light dusting on it!

dsc04661.jpg

dsc04660.jpg

dsc04666.jpg

masterbuilder

IMO...use whatever knobs you like...but....use ALL the same. I think a simple oiled bronze would go great with the black silicone and simple lines of your stand. I would want to notice the tank and stand 1st...not the knobs.

Wonderful so far.

Thanks for the ideas on the knobs. I still haven't finished the drawer fronts or doors yet so I have plenty of time to decide. Oiled bronze would look nice against that wood too...hhmmmm

Shadowrider

I'm new and still rummaging around in the forum and just ran across this awesome thread. Mr McNally I stand in awe of your talent and that is one terrific tank and stand you have built. I'll be watching for pictures as it matures and grows.

LOL! I could at least have the TV remote control it. I actually program control systems for work so it wouldn't be hard. I will be controlling eveything from a touch panel. Here is a picture of what I'm using now...I just need to pull the wave timer controls off and put the lift controls there. The wave timer function wasn't cutting it anyways.

CrestronTouchPanel640.jpg

First off - Awesome build thread! So clean!

Second - Could you program a remote to control this? If so I have the coolest addition to this. Ever seen a Sony Locationfree T.V? A wireless touchscreen that connects to a hub through 2.4gz signal around the house or by Wifi on the go. The hub has 2 RCA inputs and a cable tv inout. If you could somehow connect this to the hub you could moniter/control it anywhere around the house OR at any WIFI spot!

It would be so cool to be sitting in a hotel on vaction somewhere and be able to check up on your reef B)

post-26432-1186340447_thumb.jpg

First off - Awesome build thread! So clean!

Thank You!

It would be so cool to be sitting in a hotel on vaction somewhere and be able to check up on your reef B)

post-26432-1186340447_thumb.jpg

You mean like this? :D (must use Internet Explorer for it to work) [Link Removed...too many hits were bogging my system down]

The keypad is to password protect the controls that actually turn things on and off. If you click on the APC logo, it will show the current status of my back-up UPS too.

lets see a better FTS

I will try to get one later tonight. I added more of my corals today so it is a little cloudy again.

Thank You!

You mean like this? :D (must use Internet Explorer for it to work) http://xpanel-steve-mcnally.no-ip.org/

The keypad is to password protect the controls that actually turn things on and off. If you click on the APC logo, it will show the current status of my back-up UPS too.

I will try to get one later tonight. I added more of my corals today so it is a little cloudy again.

Wow thats cool!

So you wouldn't even have to hook it up to the hub. The screen has built in Wifi with a web browser.

Wow thats cool!

So you wouldn't even have to hook it up to the hub. The screen has built in Wifi with a web browser.

Yeah, any web browser works. There is even a PDA version that works well too. Oh...and before anyone mentions it, I am aware my pH is super low. It is due to leaving an RODI line on in my sump...overnight. My salinity and pH plummeted and I'm in the process of bringing both back up very slowly. My corals actually seem fine and are open so I think I may have lucked out.

no worky =(

Did you use Internet Explorer? If so, some versions need you to tell it that it is a trusted site. I don't think the most recent version needs that though.

No FTS tonight...What I thought was a sand storm is actually a bacterial bloom...Gotta do a small water change.

didn't work on vista but its working on 98.

Can we see a video of the hood in action....i'm dying to see it

Also, what UPS system are you running?

I'm new and still rummaging around in the forum and just ran across this awesome thread. Mr McNally I stand in awe of your talent and that is one terrific tank and stand you have built. I'll be watching for pictures as it matures and grows.

I just noticed this post. Thank you very much for the nice words :)

didn't work on vista but its working on 98.

Can we see a video of the hood in action....i'm dying to see it

Also, what UPS system are you running?

Here's a newer video of the hood going up. It takes a couple seconds for it to start because I needed to walk over and press the button.

Thanks!

Here's the pictures of it cleared up that I promised. The corals still aren't super happy, but it's getting there.

dsc04677.jpg

dsc04681.jpg

dsc04679.jpg

Incredible Monti's and Acro.

Thanks!

Here's a picture of it with the cabinet section in. All that is left is building the drawer and false drawers.

dsc04691.jpg

hey

quick question. How does someone control, in your case the controller, via the serial port. Is there something special that the equipment needs to have or is almost anything with a serial port controllable via the serial port? I only ask because I see your going to use the Aqua Jr and control it but I was wondering if the same can be done with the Reefkeeper 2 and if so how hard would it be to do something like that.

Thanks!

Archived