Cultivated Reef

MarvinsReef Zoas Dominated Reef....

MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef
Hope you don't mind a quick question about your palys...

I see you have purple death and nuclear green palys. How big are the individual polyps for you? I've heard they can get to the size of a dime/nickel and was wondering how true that is. And what kind of flow/lighting do you keep them in? I know your bulb wattage and spectrum, but I can't tell from the pic if they're at all shaded/protected from the light or if they're right under it.

Thanks :) Again, beautiful tank. Kudos for propping so much of that stuff to help out the reef and share with fellow reefers.

Hello.. first off, thanks.. :)

there's a pic of the Nukes on p. 1 comparing them to a quarter.. my adult ones are about the size of a quarter... it did take them a while to get that size but they are very nice looking when they get that big... they get low-med flow on their current location... and they are on the sand bed a little to the side of the lights..

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MarvinsReef

I just want to document a mishap today... it started last night when I came from around 5:30 pm and the lights were off.. my photoperiod is suppose to be from 2 pm to midnight... so I proceeded to turn on the lights manually from the timer and lights on.. didn't really get a good nights rest on Thurs so I decided to retire early last night.. wore up around 8 am and the lights were still on.. so the corals were exposed to 14+ hrs of photoperiod and apparently the temp creeped up to about 87 degrees... YIKES!!! it probably could've been worse if the fans didn't turn on... I think they did.. I imagine if the fans didn't, everything would've been lost.. :(

to help the temp get back to normal (78-80 degrees), I opened the canopy turn on the fans and obviously turned off the lights.. did a top off of about a gallon, opened the windows... I slowly got the temp to about 80 degrees by the time I left the house again noonish earlier.. everything seemed okay so I'm hoping I didn't bleach or kill anything...

wish me luck..

Ouchie...

Hope all is well. Ive done the exact same thing...I no longer run fans with lights...fans are manual...Id rather let the tank get cooler than hotter...but either way the temp swings are not exactly what I would want to happen. When I forget to turn the fan off on my disply at night...thks to cool nights lately it drops to 76 then gets to 80 in the day...really would rather keep that in check instead of that large of temp swings.

Good Luck

Izzue

MarvinsReef

well.. after a day of no lights (yesterday), the corals seemed to not mind the 14hrs of lights and 87 degree temp... I do have a few frags that are still mad but I'm confident that they will be okay with a little TLC.. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.. WHEW! :)

ARGH! I'm glad the tank bounced back, that would have been tragic! It's such a beautiful tank, with so many nice specimens. Did you ever figure out what happened with the lights? Did the timer break?

Thanks for answering my question on the palys too, I knew I'd seen someone with a picture somewhere but apparently it's been a while since I read page 1 ;)

MarvinsReef
ARGH! I'm glad the tank bounced back, that would have been tragic! It's such a beautiful tank, with so many nice specimens. Did you ever figure out what happened with the lights? Did the timer break?

Thanks for answering my question on the palys too, I knew I'd seen someone with a picture somewhere but apparently it's been a while since I read page 1 ;)

no worries.. :)

yeah, I think I'll be losing a couple of pieces but it's good I keep doubles of everything I really really like.. it's just too bad to lose pieces that you've grown... :(

everyone needs a little micro section in their tank... ;)

mE ME ME ...Needs a nice little micro section :D

Dang I hoped you had saved it all...sorry bout any loses...It does

suck to raise stuff and it just dies or we help it die by some human error.

But Im reminded almost everyday...humans are far from perfect ;)

Izzue

MarvinsReef

micro macros... just wanted to document w/ photos what they look like before they go under the blade.. :)

Stardust micro

StardustCloze1P.jpg

StardustClozeP.jpg

UFO micro

UFO_04-24-07P.jpg

UFOClozeP.jpg

MarvinsReef

some top down shots... I know they're not that great... I only had a chance to take 5 or so shots before the battery went dead.. LoLz..

TopDown1P.jpg

TopDown2P.jpg

TopDown3P.jpg

MarvinsReef
i think i need some of those. very nice "documentation" haha, good luck with the fragging.

:D

Thanks...

nice posse of zoas!

Thanks also.. :)

MarvinsReef

awesome pieces I received today... :D

Sunrise monti.... Green base w/ bright orange polyps.. WOW!!!

Sunrise_04-25-07P.jpg

SunriseFar_04-25-07P.jpg

Samhains... again, another bright orange piece in my tank.. another WOW!!!

Samhains_04-25-07ClP.jpg

Samhains_04-25-07P.jpg

Archived