Innovative Marine Aquariums

MarvinsReef Zoas Dominated Reef....

MarvinsReef

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marvin. Marvin, Marvin......

Looks like it's time to frag those Purple Deaths and Nuclear Greens......can you put me on a list? Thanks.

Stan

MarvinsReef

just documenting that I switched from 14k Phoenix to 20k XM's today... pics coming in the next week or two... I don't see too much difference between the two bulbs... they both look like they have a good mix of blue and white but I think I accomplished what I wanted to do, which is to decrease the PAR coz I think the corals in the tank are just getting way too much light considering the tank is only 18" deep.. we'll see how the corals are affected in the next coming weeks... if I'm not happy with growth and appearance of the corals, I'll switch back to the proven 14k Phoenix... :)

What a gorgeous tank! Wish I could afford those special corals.

Tell your brother to bring some fish and corals from the Philippines and check out Cartimar in Pasay City...lol

I think I accomplished what I wanted to do, which is to decrease the PAR coz I think the corals in the tank are just getting way too much light considering the tank is only 18" deep..

Having been in the hobby for a few decades, it is amusing to ponder how completely extraterrestrial that comment would have seemed to marine aquarists 20 years ago.

BTW - your tank is one of the most amazing ones I've seen on this board. Truly something worthy of emulation, or at least aspiration!

Hey Marv

I switch between 14k 175 MH (mogul) Hamilton and 10k 175 XM everyother month

on my 18 gal prop tank.

The Hamee is awesome blue in the 14 k...more like 20k...I notice a major slow down in growth but the colors are bling...and algae growth slows even more with phosphan in place.

The XM grows like nuts...the bulb is twice as long and gets hotter than the 14k.

I really like the look of the 14k hamee...and the bonus algae decrease...but the XM kicks in some growth between changes.

You may even try changing everyother month to see how things do for you.

Just a little observation running my little prop tank with MH lighting only.

Awesome stuff Marv. B)

Izzue

MarvinsReef
What a gorgeous tank! Wish I could afford those special corals.

Tell your brother to bring some fish and corals from the Philippines and check out Cartimar in Pasay City...lol

yeah, only if he could... Philippines has one of the best collection of fishes and corals in the world.. saw some first hand when I went back home last Feb... me and my wife visited Siete Pecados reef sanctuary in Coron, Palawan... man, that was amazing experience... :D

Thanks bro for the kind comments... :)

Sick tank man!

thank you... :)

Having been in the hobby for a few decades, it is amusing to ponder how completely extraterrestrial that comment would have seemed to marine aquarists 20 years ago.

BTW - your tank is one of the most amazing ones I've seen on this board. Truly something worthy of emulation, or at least aspiration!

thanks, kudos is appreciated... :)

Hey Marv

I switch between 14k 175 MH (mogul) Hamilton and 10k 175 XM everyother month

on my 18 gal prop tank.

The Hamee is awesome blue in the 14 k...more like 20k...I notice a major slow down in growth but the colors are bling...and algae growth slows even more with phosphan in place.

The XM grows like nuts...the bulb is twice as long and gets hotter than the 14k.

I really like the look of the 14k hamee...and the bonus algae decrease...but the XM kicks in some growth between changes.

You may even try changing everyother month to see how things do for you.

Just a little observation running my little prop tank with MH lighting only.

Awesome stuff Marv. B)

Izzue

I'll see how everything is in a couple of weeks or even 3 months... I plan on only keeping the tank the way it is in the next couple of months with a few selected additions to see if the corals will respond well with the new bulb... wish me luck... :)

Izzue, thanks for the suggestion, I might do the alternating bulb as an experiment down the road... :D

hey man

those palys i got from u the other day r awesome and doing great. they also look just like ur pics show which is nice since sometimes the pics dont match the actual coral. just wanted to say thanks.

if ur thinking about getting some pieces from marvin do it u wont be upset.

MarvinsReef
hey man

those palys i got from u the other day r awesome and doing great. they also look just like ur pics show which is nice since sometimes the pics dont match the actual coral. just wanted to say thanks.

if ur thinking about getting some pieces from marvin do it u wont be upset.

Thanks Jerry.. I'm glad they're doing well for you.... :)

always good doing something local sometimes since I don't have to worry about shipping fiascos.. ;)

Thanks... :)

here's my current routine..

Monday: Reef Plus by Seachem (2 capfuls)

Tuesday: Enjoy the tank...

Wednesday: Reef Calcium w/ RO water (1 spoonful); after 1+ hr(s) Reef Builder w/ RO water (1/2 spoonful);

---------- also, Magnesium supp (I need to check the brand again) (2 capfuls)

Thursday: Enjoy the tank...

Friday: Reef Plus by Seachem (2 capfuls)

Saturday: Enjoy the tank...

Sunday: Enjoy the tank...

Repeat the week... oh yeah, around 3rd or 4th week of the month, I replace the Monday or Friday dosing w/ 15%-20% water change.. I use RO water and Reef Crystals...

I feed my tank Mysis and Formula 1 alternating days once a day.. and whenever I remember, I feed frozen cyclopeeze...

lastly, I don't have a skimmer...

good luck and I hope it helps... :D

Without a skimmer, do you have problems with a film on the surface of the water? Sorry if you already answered these questions. I'm just so envious of your tank. I must know your secret! :P Do you quarantine before placing in your tank? How do you keep it algae free? Ahhhhhhgggg. I must know! :D Are you that same guy who has a website? or is that Melvin? hmmmmm.... Must know! lol.

EDIT: Nice tank, btw (understatement of the year) ;)

MarvinsReef
Without a skimmer, do you have problems with a film on the surface of the water? Sorry if you already answered these questions. I'm just so envious of your tank. I must know your secret! :P Do you quarantine before placing in your tank? How do you keep it algae free? Ahhhhhhgggg. I must know! :D Are you that same guy who has a website? or is that Melvin? hmmmmm.... Must know! lol.

EDIT: Nice tank, btw (understatement of the year) ;)

first off, thanks for the kind words.. :)

there is no film developing on the surface as I do have an overflow that skim the surface and the water goes through a 22g sump w/ lots of chaeto to help with nutrients... I try to follow the routine I posted to a tee but sometimes I do miss some days... I've always had a good luck on doing just water changes if I see something not going right in my tank... I can go through spurts where I have to do 10%-15% weekly for 4-6 weeks depending on how long it takes for the corals to be happy again... the only algae that I have trouble is now and cannot escape from is bubble algae... I've torn down the tank twice already to get rid of this pest.. I had an aptaisia problem but I invested on some peppermint shrimps and I got lucky with the ones I got coz from what I can see, they have eliminated the aptaisia problem... :)

I don't have a website so it must be Melvin.. ;)

finally, I just set up a 12g nano side by side the 32g to serve the purpose of QT and frag tank... when I get new arrivals, they normally go on the 12g for atleast a week or two before going on the main tank...

hope this info helps... and good luck to you.. thanks again...

Some of the nicest polyps I've seen. Awesome :)

Thank you.. :)

MarvinsReef

yo, progression top down pics of Nuclear Green palys... I think there's about 40+ polyps in there including babies that you don't see.. that's the trick with this colony.. some of the babies aren't getting too much light that's why it's taking them so long to develop to full grown adult polyps...

04-14-07

Nukes_04-14-07P.jpg

05-16-07

Nuclears_05-16-07P.jpg

got my frags from marvin. I have to say that they were packed great and everything looks sweet!! Looking forward to doing business again marvin let me know when more frags are available!!

MarvinsReef

some other colonies that have done well for me... :)

Sour Apple (grew this colony from 6-8 polyps)

SourApplez_P.jpg

Strawberry Starburst (grew this colony from 3-5 polyps)

StraberryStar_P.jpg

some PE-type zoas...

Grimace PE

GrimacePE_P.jpg

PRPE

PRPE_05-30-07_P.jpg

True RPE

TrueRPE_P.jpg

and finally the PE section I'm building... so far it only has the following.. lemme see if you guys can see 'em... LoLz..

- Sparkled True RPE

- Desert Fox PE

- True Green PE

- PPE

I plan on adding the following in the rockwork.. these are all in my possession but I have been kinda getting sick lately.. it should be done soon though...

- True RPE

- Sparkled PPE

- Grimace PE

- PRPE

- PPRPE

- Pink Stardust PE

PEGroup_P.jpg

Great Pics marv!! Everything doing good in the frag pack except the blueish palys, I think I didnt acclimate them long enough :( I hope I can save them. I was to anxious to see the pd and ng, lol. That PD and NG polyps are already expanding HUGE!!! I really like the wines also. Thanks!!! Your tank is amazing!!!!

MarvinsReef
Great Pics marv!! Everything doing good in the frag pack except the blueish palys, I think I didnt acclimate them long enough :( I hope I can save them. I was to anxious to see the pd and ng, lol. That PD and NG polyps are already expanding HUGE!!! I really like the wines also. Thanks!!! Your tank is amazing!!!!

thank you buddy... :)

bluish paly? you mean the Gremlins? or Sour apples?

I'm glad the PD and Nukes are doing good for you.. :)

Archived