Pod Your Reef

MarvinsReef Zoas Dominated Reef....

MarvinsReef

crazy as usual...i'm so over expensive fish with jumping :huh:

i swore to myself not to get anything over $50.

looking fantastic as always bro!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's Reef

i want ur chalices marv! I;ve never kept them and might get a few in my 40brd, what do they like, and how easy are they to care for?

MarvinsReef
crazy as usual...i'm so over expensive fish with jumping :huh:

i swore to myself not to get anything over $50.

looking fantastic as always bro!

Dang E... nice for you to check in... good seeing you back.... done with the other hobbies for now? LoLz... thanks for the kudos... in regards to jumping fishies... man, I just saw a monster Supermale Lineatus wrasse at a LFS... by far, best I've seen in any LFS... wished I had the tank to house him... will definitely have one when I set up a bigger tank... I'm quite happy with the HI Flames for now... anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Part IV... :)

i want ur chalices marv! I;ve never kept them and might get a few in my 40brd, what do they like, and how easy are they to care for?

hey Nick... it's been a while for you too.. LoLz... thanks for swinging by... hopefully your new tank is doing well... :)

chalices, chalices, chalices... I've only kept a few throughout the years but have really gotten bit by the bug the last 3 months or so... I have a few now and am looking forward to growing them to 3"-4" around... that'll be awesome to see in my little tank... LoLz... they don't really get special treatment in my tank... wherever I have room for them is where they go... mostly, in the sand bed though... I still haven't found a good way to incorporate them in the rockwork but I will... ;)

Marv the frags I got off you are doing great still. The GPE, RPE, Mohawks and True Blues are taking off. I think the GPE frag has sprouted like 12 more polyps. Thanks buddy

MarvinsReef
Marv - Just sent you a PM. Just get back to me!

-D

just replied back...

Marv the frags I got off you are doing great still. The GPE, RPE, Mohawks and True Blues are taking off. I think the GPE frag has sprouted like 12 more polyps. Thanks buddy

wow Randy... that is good news... keep up the good work... :)

I love those nightmare zoanthids.

Thanks... :)

Nick's Reef
hey Nick... it's been a while for you too.. LoLz... thanks for swinging by... hopefully your new tank is doing well... :)

chalices, chalices, chalices... I've only kept a few throughout the years but have really gotten bit by the bug the last 3 months or so... I have a few now and am looking forward to growing them to 3"-4" around... that'll be awesome to see in my little tank... LoLz... they don't really get special treatment in my tank... wherever I have room for them is where they go... mostly, in the sand bed though... I still haven't found a good way to incorporate them in the rockwork but I will... ;)

thanks for the info marv, my tank is doing great, should go check it out, I've had a few tragic fish deaths do to fish being idiots but other than that everything's fine.

Hi,

Just read through your whole thread - it´s really amazing corals you´ve got!! In your opinion what´s the most important to get the strong color in the Zoas? The bluelight?

A long while ago you wrote about what you feed the corals. Mondays and Fridays Seachem Reef Plus and Wednesdays Reef Calcium, Reef Builder and Magnesium. Is this still your feeding-schedule?

You guys are so lucky to be living in the States having all the possible suppliers for rare corals and fish. It´s really hard to get a hold of these in small European countries... I wish it was easier to order from the States and have it delivered to Europe...

Anyways, lots of compliments to you for your tank. The most beautiful Zoa-tank I have ever seen!!

//Peter

MarvinsReef
Hi,

Just read through your whole thread - it´s really amazing corals you´ve got!! In your opinion what´s the most important to get the strong color in the Zoas? The bluelight?

A long while ago you wrote about what you feed the corals. Mondays and Fridays Seachem Reef Plus and Wednesdays Reef Calcium, Reef Builder and Magnesium. Is this still your feeding-schedule?

You guys are so lucky to be living in the States having all the possible suppliers for rare corals and fish. It´s really hard to get a hold of these in small European countries... I wish it was easier to order from the States and have it delivered to Europe...

Anyways, lots of compliments to you for your tank. The most beautiful Zoa-tank I have ever seen!!

//Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for the kudos... hope the answers below will help... :)

In your opinion what´s the most important to get the strong color in the Zoas? The bluelight?

- I always seen z's and p's color up better under 20k lighting spectrum... I really think they benefit from the bluer spectrum... :)

- since I downgraded from the 32g to the 28g, I haven't had a very consistent dosing set up... I've been more consistent with water changes though... I think that the water change takes care of everything the tank needs... feeding habits is 1-2x/day depending on how much time I have during the photoperiod... photo period is from 2-10 pm... :)

MarvinsReef
update pics of the tank,pls,sir. :)

hey marv make me frag packs?

zoas and palys i don't have...lolz

posted an updated FTS on 03-26-09... no new pics of the tank... probably in 2-3 months again... :)

pm sent!

can I have your tank please?

LoLz...

You're making me want chalices....but I have no room in my tank, which would mean upgrading....STOP IT MARVIN! lol Beautiful.

You're making me want chalices....but I have no room in my tank, which would mean upgrading....STOP IT MARVIN! lol Beautiful.

Damn Marvin has a mysterious way about doing that, doesn't he!!! omgomgomg

;)

MarvinsReef
Damn Marvin has a mysterious way about doing that, doesn't he!!! omgomgomg

;)

:lol: :lol:

it's really not my fault... it's these guys bringing in awesome pieces... ;) actually, I've always liked them but I was collecting Aussie lords then... I have almost given up on Aussies since most of them I cannot keep the vibrant colors... or have kept some for months and all of a sudden develop some kind of infection and become brown jelly... I had a super nice Rainbow Aussie that recently did this.. had it for close to a year.... :( kinda disappointing growing a 5-6 heads lords to more than 30 heads and melt away... :(

now, I'm trying my luck on the chalices... I hope I'm gonna have good luck with them... I'm "almost" done with them... I think I have all bases covered on colors... really not much I can fit in the tank... I'll have about 10 morphs when it's said and done... right now, I have 6-7 I really like in the tank and the rest just waiting from grow outs or in negotiation... :)

I asked Pookstreet this since he has eons of chalices, but I'll ask you too since you have knowledge in the area, what's your method for fragging them??

MarvinsReef
I asked Pookstreet this since he has eons of chalices, but I'll ask you too since you have knowledge in the area, what's your method for fragging them??

a buddy of mine comes by with a wet saw w/ diamond blade... the dremmel method has been replaced by this method by many here in MI... less stressful for the corals since you can maneuver better... some has had success carving single heads of lords with this equipment.... I'm yet to buy one but really considering getting one... I'm sure Kenny has one of these bad boys... if he does, I would recommend hooking up with him if he's anywhere close.... good luck... :)

MarvinsReef
What light are you using on your aquafuge? I'm trying to find a good one for when I order mine.

I don't use it as a fuge anymore, more like a storage unit for the Tunze skimmer, carbon, and heater... I took out all the chaeto a while back... but when I had chaeto, I used an 18w PC fixture... :)

Archived