inTank Media Baskets

NAUGHTY NAUGHTY [shawn 24g ap]

quy_nquyen

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quy_nquyen

thanks a lot =]

today my house was in the upper 80s..... im going to reset my light time to turn in at 8am-12 and then on again at 7-10/11

i only have $300 dollars for reef equip... not enought for like a 1/10 chiller or even a 1/15.... im skeptical about buying a 1/20 for my tank. it's the only one i can afford but im starting to feel hopeless as if it's not even worth it if it cant keep temps below 85 when my house hits the 90's and possibly 100+ for a week or so...

ya we're in for a hot summer this year.

my place hit about low 80s the last few days but the azoo fans i have has kept my tank at 78-79 degrees. i'm gonna hook up my 1/20 chiller this weekend to see how it performs.

hopefully the fans & chiller combo will keep things tolerable.

perhaps the 1/20 may work for your tank? phixion is running one on his tank with pretty good results.

that's crazy that your place can hit a 100 degrees, that's like sauna status. :P

quy_nquyen

i love irvine temperature except during winter.

im going to keep monitoring the temp hopefully we'll get some more hot days soon so i can collect enough data =] (nerd alert)

i want to see what my tank temps are without any chiller at all. i guess i'll use this info to decide on the size of chiller i need

dont be bagging on my sauna house it's how i keep skinny :lol:

saltman123

Might just have to sell something off to make that extra cash. Or, isn't it just about that time to sell back your college books???:)

quy_nquyen

i recently sold 1/2 my mohawk colony and made enough for a 1/20 chiller but im thinking i might need a 1/15 or stronger.... im just not sure that i want to invest 400 into the hobby for the 1/15 without being confident that it can do the job...

perhaps it might be time for me to call it quits for a while and just concentrate on school

saltman123

Get out of the Hobby just because of an extra $100 to $200 bucks or so for the bigger chiller? I'd say stick with it!!!:)

I have considered getting out of the hobby but only because I lack the extra time my tank sometimes needs in my hectic work schedule. I would say sell something off, buy the better chiller, and don't buy anything new for a while.

I sometimes budget myself and don't allow myself to buy stuff, even if I want it really bad. I go weeks and months without spending anything other than a few gallons of water, salt, and the test kits I use.

Then again, if I need to buy a $500 chiller I too will be asking myself the same thing....

If it is hurting your school grades, than that is a whole different issue.....

ezcompany

get the azoo clip on fan and run it along the top of your water. yesterday our area hit 93-96 and my tank is still going strong, WITH 250 halides. oh yeah, you better have an auto top off!

quy_nquyen

i hate you guys :D

jin how much water do you have to replace perday?

i think my electric bill would spike 15-20 dollars if i ran it about 6 hours a day pending that i did the math correct. If im correct then that's not too bad

Right now with chiller cooling by day and fan cooling by night, I'm replacing about a half gallon every 2 days... =/ Unfortunately I just moved my RO/DI to my new apartment last night, and my current bucket of fresh RO/DI is only 1/3 full now, what the heck was I thinking not filling it up first before I move the tank this next weekend?? DOH!!

I dunno what mine is inside, probably around 83-84 is my guess... But my tank still holds at 81.5F max with my chiller, sure it might be running non-stop right now though, lol!

quy_nquyen

i'll do another update at 1pm as im going to schedule my lights to come on at 7/8 till 12 or 1 and then off till 6/7 and remain on till about 10

matt what is the thermostat in your apt set to?

i'll do another update at 1pm as im going to schedule my lights to come on at 7/8 till 12 or 1 and then off till 6/7 and remain on till about 10

matt what is the thermostat in your apt set to?

I just have a wall A/C and it's currently off. ;) So no thermostat for the apartment itself... =/ Central air/heat in the new apartment though, YAY!

quy_nquyen

light just turned off.

tank temp = 85

room temp = 90

outside temp = 98 (according to weather.com)

so pretty much at 100 outside i would only need a 1/20 chiller to keep waters at say 83/84 which is the temp im targeting for summer.

to compensate for the 115 max socal temp, a 1/10 would DEFINTELY be able to keep the temps that i want.

Go 1/15th if you aren't sure between the 2. ;) Better performance than a 1/20th, but a much better price than a 1/10th.

man, your place gets hawt!! :o

i'm curious, what's the coolest the 1/20th chiller can keep a tank at? hmmm.. i might have to return mine and upgrade? :huh:

musicawal

Quy I just got the 1/15 current model for my 10g, I love it! I was able to take the fan off the tank and it sits at 80 now granted the chiller is on alot. I do have central AC though, but I still think 1/15 would be fine. Like previously stated much cheaper than a 1/10 too. Pics in my thread if you wanna see or got any questions.

quy_nquyen

someone is selling a used 1/10 for about the same price of a new 1/15

just got home from class

tank temp = 85 still

room temp = 95!!!!!!

outside temp = 93

quy_nquyen

i THINK i just bought the 1/4 jbj chiller for 400 :D waiting for them to confirm. heat problem solved?

quy_nquyen

actaully the more i think about it the more i want to sell my tank.

next fall im moving down to SD as a transfer students. I have no intentions on bringing the tank with me. I was going to leave the tank for my parents to take care of but realized that it would only be a burden for them.

on top of that next year both of my brothers are graduating, so we're planning on moving to a new place.

within a week or two i'll probably be posting up a thread parting out my tank. IF you see something you like make me an offer before i sell it :D

Man, hello electric bill. That's a sweet buy though!!! I'll be over every weekend to hop in your tank over the summer, lol! :P

quy_nquyen

matt i still got your frag of ruby red =]

at this point just about all my corals/tank/equip have been sold

Archived