Top Shelf Aquatics

New 46g bowfront tank!

flick

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is???...

Tanks doing awesome!!! :D

I re-arranged it yet again ;) lol.... I made even more caves, brought the rock higher up to the light, and i think it looks like i did an awesoem job! :D Looks like i got 20lbs more rock, than before, just on how i layed it out this time :)

Green chromis loves his spirulina enriched FBS! :D Hes super healthy, and is cruising all the currents! :D Looks SOOOO HAPPY!!! I love watching him have so much fun!!!

Flick

***UPDATE***

I saw a newsletter for my LFS and it said:

Bi colour Angels $29.99

Tr Ocellaris Clowns $18.99

Starting Saterday at open, through until Monday at close, see store for details

So... If thats true, and it not an old flyer... which i hope, and doubt it isn't as other flyers from same page all said March 4th-March 7th 2007... I want to go in tomorrow and get two healthy true clowns! :D :D :D I;ve looked everywhere for *true* ones, and i finally found them at only $18.99 a peice! :) Thats $7+ off each clown! :D I tested my params yesterday, all perfect, and i did 10 min ago tonight, and are even better than before! ;) Is it safe to get them now???

Flick

Needreefunds
***UPDATE***

I saw a newsletter for my LFS and it said:

Bi colour Angels $29.99

Tr Ocellaris Clowns $18.99

Starting Saterday at open, through until Monday at close, see store for details

So... If thats true, and it not an old flyer... which i hope, and doubt it isn't as other flyers from same page all said March 4th-March 7th 2007... I want to go in tomorrow and get two healthy true clowns! :D :D :D I;ve looked everywhere for *true* ones, and i finally found them at only $18.99 a peice! :) Thats $7+ off each clown! :D I tested my params yesterday, all perfect, and i did 10 min ago tonight, and are even better than before! ;) Is it safe to get them now???

Flick

Nice tank flick. Hey, btw, are you sure they mean true ? Does the sign say true or tr ( tank raised ). Just trying to help!!

crazinezz978

Sorry for the dissappointment but those fish are not true perculas. True perculas should specifically say "percula", as ocellaris is the scientific name for false clowns. needrefunds is right, the Tr stands for Tank raised.

They do the same by my LFS too, it almost gets you excited for a while untill you get that its tank raised no true...just thought id aware you of it

Thanks guys! :)

CRAP!!! LOL... It did say "Tr", i thought that was "True" :( And I had a feeling...as the species are seperate (Percula, and ocellaris) that there isnt such thing as a true ocellaris anyways :(

Im going to call soon, and ask if that is indeed a new flyer (should be) then ask my parents if we can go get two... :) I'll keep you updated!

Honestly, i had false ocellaris before, and i loved them!!! :D I just thought i'd try true perculas this time, but they are rare to find here :( so i will settle on gorgeous false ocellaris... :) Thanks again for help!

ps- Should i get my cleaner shrimp today too? I know many people add their shrimp with other fish when they get them...that way if the clowns get sick for some strange reason once acclimated at least the shrimp will be there to help! :) Plus when i was in there last weekend they had GORGEOUS cleaner shrimp, and no clowns. So i guess this *IS* a new flyer as there were no clowns before!!! Must have gotten new shipment! :D Thanks again!

Flick

Good luck and post pics soon! :)

Just to further clarify though, there is no "false ocellaris." The true/false refers to percula. So it is either a true percula, or a false percula. False percula=ocellaris. ;)

Thanks!

Im baaacckk!!! I've got AMAZING NEWSS!!! :D :D :D

There were ugly clowns... BUT!!!! There were 2 bicolor angel for ONLY $29.99!!! :D Regular $49.99!!!!! So... I got one (3")! Hes super healthy, got some fight marks, but eats well brine shrimp, and is looking aweseom!! :D

I also got a small cleaner shrimp! :) Im drip acclimating them now, and they are both doing great!!! Im taking pics, noo worries! :P

Flick

Ok.. back! :)

I just put them in (after drip acclimating...) and they appear calm and settled! :D

The cleaner shrimp is on a rock tip already, enjoying the current it looks like!!! :D And my ***GORGEOUS*** bicolor angel is doing good! :) Calm, relaxed, casually in a cave, looking around :) Not huffing, puffing, or loking stressed! :D Im soooooo please and glad they are both doing well so far! :D

I took pics, but im going to wait until they are both more active (swimming around) then take more, and upload them at the same time ;) As there *will* be lots of pics, you should know me by now! lol

I've decided to call the angel "Maverick" and the shrimp "Buddy" ;)

Flick

Here are ***SOME*** of the pics i took :P I hate how you can only post 9 pictures :( It sucks!!! Enjoy guys! :)

*NOTE*- The pics are somewhat blurry as i had to enlarge them... But you get the idea of the picture, see the colours the fish and tank have, r.t.c. :)

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

I put Maverick in the purple bucket, and put Buddy in the floating breeder box (has slits in the bottom) That way they couldn't fight, yet both were still acclimated to the water :)

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

Flick :D :D :D

Thankkss! :)

I took more piccies!!! This time he was *MUCH* more active! :D

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

All the tank inhabitants! (Maverick, Buddy, and Flick)

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

Im SOOOO HAPPY!!! :D :D :D

Maverick ate tonight!!! TONS of brine shrimp! :D He is also pecking away at the rocks, adventuring in the caves, and looks PERFECT!!! I cna't beleive how much i love this fish!!! He's a perfect addition to my tank, and as you know, i've wanted one forever!!! I can't beleive i actually own a bicolor angel to my name! :D

Also, i named the chromis Flick ;) After me LOL (User name)...

Flick :)

What do you guys think? ;)

He also ate Marine Flake!! :D Hes a great fish for being wild caught, sensitive, and a picky eater! :D :D :D

Flick :)

Nice tank Flick. I like the aquascaping. Not too cluttered and plenty of room for the fish to swim around. I've always wanted to get a bowfront tank.

Helfrichs Chick

The angel is a really nice one. Nice and large and look fat. Very cool. I had a 46 reef, its now my frog tank lol. Its funny I REALLY like your rock structure, usually I dont like rocks piled up, but it looks very nice, and gives LOTS of swim room! IMO I would add some kick a** big tonga peices, sparaticly. Ver nice set up. Me likey, and cant wait to see it stocked.

Whoa!

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOO much everyone! :) Those are all awesome compliments!

Maverick (lol) is doing great! I had a bad feeling when i woke up today, so i ran down to the tank... i couldn't find him :( and freaked!!! Then i look, and he was in the back, surfing the current in another huge cave i never knew i had!!! :P lol

I put a lot of BS in the tank, and Maverick only ate 2-3 peices :( So i hope he doesnt die of starvation... But he must eat well, if hes so plump and awesome! :D Unless he was just caught in the wild the day of. Which is impossible, as my LFS holds fish for a few days before selling :) So, i guess he will be a pig, i just have to find what he likes!!! The chromis is the biggest big! He eats 70% of the food i put in the tank, and its a fair amount (for angel, him, and cleaner shrimp). Buddy (The CS) also loves his brine shrimp, and is doing awesome!!!

He kinda traps Maverick in a cave, and touches Maverick with his 4 tentacles... i think he wants to clean him? Maverick kinda leans towards Buddy, it looks like he kinda wants to get cleaned by him, but hes still unsure, and i haven't seen Buddy mount Maverick *yet* lol...

Other than that, its all well! :) Im soo happy i finally got a bicolor now, it doesn't feel real! I walk by the tank, and am always SOO SHOCKED i have such a gorgeous fish, then i clue in its a bicolor angel, then it clues in i bought him, and hes ALL MINE NOW!!! :D I can't be happier! Such a elegant, gorgeous, brilliantly coloured, specimen of a fish!!! Now i can't wait to add my 2 clowns! Think about how much brighter the tank will get then! 2 bright orange clowns, 1 brilliant yellow and royal blue angel, 1 shimmering turquise chromis, and 1 neon cleaner shrimp! :D lol

Thanks about tank complliments! :) I think i did pretty good! I have TONS of caves for the angel to swim around in, and he's loving it! The cleaners got lots of cliffs to surf, and the chromis loves the current just above the rock... looks sooo nice seeing the 3 of them at different tank levels, enjoying every part of it!

Flick

Nice score on the bicolor! great looking fish. I hope it works out for you.

are you still going to get that new light? I think that it should be the next thing you buy if you can get it for $100 (Is that US$ or Can$ ?) It would help the corals that you have so much. Did you get that GSP yet? I know I loved mine when I had one.

On Feb 28 Clarkii3 said "thats anthellia" and you seemed confused. I believe that he was referring to you Xenia. He/she seems to think that your "Xenia" is really "Anthellia". Some find it difficult to tell apart, I do not have enough experience to know what to tell you. I know that Xenia sometimes pulses even in the absence of current, and Anthellia does not.

Keep up the good work, set your goals, listen to advice from the people here, and make good choices in equipment. Upgrade your lights, then you will be ready for some corals that need more light.

You are so enthusiastic! I vote for you for most enthusiastic tank owner. I enjoy reading most of your posts, so I try to read ones that come up on the home page when I see them. Keep it up!

Cheers :)

Whoa man!

Thanks a ton!!! :D

The bicolor is my lil pal...lol. Such an awesome fish, i DEFINATELY lucked out! :D

I heard its Glove Xenia... google it, it looks exactly like my stuff :)

Thank, im trying to make this tank awesome! :) I have not yet gotten the new canopy. I decided not to go with it (from advice on here) as PCs are a waste of time. So, im just going to get a $25 50/50 30w bulb at my LFS for now, and once i move out, and tank the tank with me, i will then upgrade to great lighting and start getting better corals! :)

HAhaha, am i really that enthusiastic? Good i guess? lol Im just so happy i decided to turn this tank into a SW, its all working out GREAT so far, and i got the fish of my dreams!!! :D Im speechless! I find myself watching the tank for hours!!! Yesterday i told my mom i was going to walk the dog at 7:10pm (I looked at clock) then i lookd up at 8:21pm, and was still watching the tank! My poor dog! lol Im in love with it, and cant wait to get the clowns!

Also, do you think i should get a sump? I found one for $40. Its a 29g, overlfow box, U tube, all pipes, a 500gph pump, for only $40!!!! :D I inquired, but someone did before me, so im not sure if he got it already :( I think im going to look for one? Even a 10g would be soo awesome!!! As i could put the Remora skimmer in it, the heater, LR rubble, e.t.c... Is it worth it to get one guys? Thanks!!!

Flick

***I'm treating this reply like a Diary, its whats on my mind right now, sorry if its too much of a rant :( ***

I'm actually soo nervous right now!!! I researched on Bicolor angels for years, and knew they were sensitive, but i just uncovered several pages saying they usually die once in the tank!!! I read page after page of peoples angels not eating, starving to death, and dying :( I read a few (1 or 2) people say theirs was doing amazing, then the next die the bicolor angel died :( So im now worried as heck, why on earth i bought this fish... People were saying how these fish must have been sprayed by the liquied to stunt them in order to be caught, then it eventually catches up to them, and they die form it :(

I have heard success storied though! :D And most of the people's fish that died (talked about above) said they weren't eating anything... but Maverick is eating!!! :D I just put more Brine shrimp in the tank, and he came out of hiding at started to eat! :D That was SOOOOO NICE to see, you have no idea! lol. What do you guys think? I think hes a fighter, and he's going to do well! :) His body colour is bright, hes moving around (but 60% of time hes in his one cave), and at least hes eating for me? Plus i think hes still new to the tank, so needs to get use to it. I also read on and on about how these angels go around eating things off the rock... I've only seen him do it once or twice! He doesnt peck, nibble on the rock like the websites say he should be doing... :(

****Eww! Stop thinking about the negatives Nathan!!!****

Ok, so, i've got a healthy fish, thats gorgeous, eating some food, and hes doing awesome! He doesnt look weak, or stressed, but rather content and calm!!! Ok, he'll make it, he has to!!! THINK POSITIVEE!!!! :P

Flick

I'm baaaaackkkk!!! lol

I feel much better now! :) I added the overflow box back onto the skimmer :D Becuase i took it off, and a very fine layer of film (mostly macrobubbles that are getting spit out of the remora) were collecting on the waters surface. So, there is no more film now! :D

***ALSO***

Maverick the great ( :P lol) was swimming around and is getting use to the tank! :D So, he was swimming around, surfing the many currents in the tank, then he decided to go in the cave that Buddy, the cleaner shrimp, is in! Maverick stopped, looked at Buddy, and tilted! :D Buddy hopped right onto Mavericks side, and started sifting his scales! :P It was sooo nice to watch! Not only did it look neat, but it also shows that Buddy is going to help clean my fish (the WHOLE reason i got a cleaner shrimp, paranoid of Ick lol) andl both Maverick, and Buddy are feeling safe in the tank... Im sooo pleased! As you can probably tell! :D

Also, Maverick ate more!!! And he seems pretty plump, and looks full to me? Ill take new pics, and may you help me out? As i don't know exactly where their stomachs are. I think they are located near the front, under their gills kind of?? If so, its pretty fat and full! :D

Flick

Thanks! :)

He's doing awesome still! :D I was just watching him again, theres now a technique! ;) Too indepth to explain... lol

Flick

Archived