Sadly im not getting them... The guys too far and wont meet me somewhere :(

Ill look in shops for cheap ones though :P lol

Flick :)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suuree did! ;)

I just got bad from Big Als! :)

With 5 Nassrius snails, 5 black turbo snails, and a gorgeous green chromis! ::D :D :D Im drip acclimating them now, and will take pics soo oncei n the tank! :D

noobwithatank

ah one thing in this hobby is dont rush .... lol also i know u dont want to hear this but..

dont get the tang. as when its bigger and time to remove.. tryin to catch him in a tank with rockwork/corals/fish in quite the PITA trust me. hahah.

also have u tried any canadian reef forums.. as i myself am from niagara. i know theres a decent ammount of reefers in southern ont.

-mike

Thanks for the reply! :) Yeah, im nto rushing though :) I know rushing only results in failure... so im spacing things out, or trying to the best i can :P lol

I dont mind how you gave me advice, about the tang... thanks! :) I just hate when cocky people say it so rude, p*sses me off! lol. I realised that... So im still undecided. I may go with a flame angel, or if there are yellow false heraldi angels i get one of them for sure! I LOVE their body shape, and size, adn they are perfect for my tank! :D

I also go on:

aquariumpros.ca

pnaquaria.com

They are Canadian, and thats where i got my rock and substrate, also my ramora skimmer ;)

This happened:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1059049

Anyways... i fed the chromis marine flake, doesnt like them at all :( Spit it *ALL* out everytime he tasted a peice of flake :( I then tired spirulina enriched frozen brine shrimp and he ate EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! :D :D :D So i've got a meat eater on my hands! LOL ;) The Nassarius snails dug into the sand the first hour or so once into the tank! haha. Then it was funny, they all appeared out of the sand around same time! Theyve been moving a long, i think they like the tank! :) My turbo snails are loving the tank too! They are cleaning away already! Also, just wondering why the turbos go up to top of tank walls, comletly out of the water, and sit there? I push them back in the water, or re locate them on the rock. The temp is fine at 78, so its not cuz the waters hot... and all params are perfect???

I cant wait to add the clown and cleaner shrimp in few weeks time!!! When do you think i should get them? How long of a wait inbetween getting the chromis and small clean up crew, to get my single clown and cleaner shrimp? ;) Thanks guys!

Flcik :)

Ok... I just re aquascaped it all!!! :P lol

I think it looks awesome now! :) I made MANY caves, braught up the rock higher, and made it more of an ocean setting. I bragged the rock on, and positioned *many* caves amoungst the rocks!!! :D I also chipped off one of the mushrooms on the largest peice of rock, and put it in the front of the tank! That way, i can see it where it is, and watch it grow! I also made more ledges, and platforms, if im getting frags of mushrooms, gps, and others! :D

I took new pics! Here they are!!!

IMG_3099.jpg

(excuse water level, i topped it up)

IMG_3102.jpg

Growing like wildfire!

IMG_3104.jpg

See! Spreading like nuts on all rocks!!!

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

I've also decided on my fish list guys. I am NOT changing my mind anymore! Ive thought about the life of the fish if i put a tang in here, and i sure as hell wouldnt want to be him! :( So, ive decided on a final fish list of:

-2 green chromis

-2 clowns

-1 cleaner shrimp

I have 1 chromis now. So, when its time, im going to go get another chromis, and my cleaner shrimp at the same time. Then, wait a few weeks, and go out and get my two clowns!!! Im soooo excited! I love the colours, variety, and style that the selected fish will being to my tank once togther! :) Plus some frags of mushrooms, and green star polyps will make the tank even brighter, and nicer!

I like the aquascaping. Would you consider placing the mushroom as high as possible. With the limited light that you have, you will get better results with it higher.

All of those caves are WAY COOL!

:) cheers

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I thought of that... But so far he looks like he likes it, and i have heard mushrooms like to stay on the floor bed... not up high? I *do* see what you mean about the light though :)

Flick

Thanks Mike! :)

I thought the pics looked TERRIBLE!!! :( :( :(

The water washed out all the colour of the xenia, rock, chromis, and everything! :(

I cant wait till it settles back to normal and is clear, then ill take *good* shots ;) lol

I know i said im not changing my mind on fish list anymore... BUT!!!! Ive got a great idea! :D I LOVE bi colour blenny's! And they are the same price as clownfish here! So, what im thinking is getting:

-2 chromis'

-1 clown

-1 bicolour blenny

-1 cleaner shrimp

Would that be good? I feel bad for the clown being lonely though :( Thats the only thing im sad about the current fish list :( lol I know hell be fine, but i like seeing them in at least pairs... Should i get a bicolour blenny and a clown, or 2 clowns??? What do you think? I like how colourful the clowns are, and 2 of them look adorable together! But i also like something going in and out of the rocks, and love watching the bicolour blennies wiggling around at my LFS...

i really don't see why you couldnt still have the stocking list from above with a bi-color blenny, too. Thats only 5 (relatively) small fish. I wouldn't go any more than that and add them slowly. Should be fine. Anyone disagree?

Money's the only issue :( lol

I dont want to go over $115 on fish alone...

And with 1 clown, 1 blenny, 2 chromis, and 1 cleaner shrimp, thats $113.93 ;)

Thats why im settling with that i think :) Good point though! Your very helpfull! :) lol I think this gives a nice, colourful, good mix of things in the tank, from fish to shrimp! :D

HAHA!!!! True that! :P

You know what! I think i will get a blenny and 2 clowns. Ill make sure water quality is perfect all the time, i have my skimmer working now (no bubbles :D ) and the tanks great for 5 lil fish.

***UPDATE*** (for 5th time today :P lol)

Final fish list will include:

-2 green chromis

-2 clownfish

-1 bicolor blenny

-1 cleaner shrimp

Sounds Pretty darn awesome to me!!!! What do you all think? 5 small fish, and a cleaner shrimp in a 46g nowfront tank? ;)

Flick :D :D :D

I just read throught the entire thread... There are a few things that I would like to comment on.

#1 I may not be an expert in reef keeping, but I do know some about biology and chemistry (I teach HS bio, chem, and advanced chem.) and I did keep a tank A LOT like the one that you have for about 5 years, but that was 10-15 years ago.

#2 The only reason that a tank has a "cycle" is that it does not have an established bacteria bed, and when things die (like in transport) they make waste that cannot get broken down by the bacteria. Since you have LR that was established it should be good (if you brought it home submerged). If you were also careful about bringing home your substrate submerged, then the die-off would be minimal and you may have no "cycle." Just like you wrote.

#3 If there was mininal die off, and no cycle, then you should be good to SLOWLY add whatever fish you choose. One or two at a time.

#4 do you have crushed coral, sand, or a mix of the two? It seems that you talk about crushed coral, but then you also talk about sand...

#5 Others say that CC traps nitrates. I do not agree. CC traps organic waste that breaks down to make ammonia... nitrites... and then nitrates. But it DOES NOT trap nitrates. Nitrates are extremely soluble in water, and there is nothing in aragonite that would "trap" nitrates. Many people find that sand is better, and that is what I plan on using because it has greater surface area for bacteria, it is easier to clean, and CUC animals tend to be able to sift it easier. However, your CC has established bacteria, and you would be asking for trouble if you just remove it all at once. If you want to replace it with sand ask me and I'll tell you how I did it when I had my 45 long (the one that I talked about the lights in your other post.)

#6 if you are looking for a CUC, there is nothing that says you must buy local. I am considering ordering from IPSF.com (the 9 for $99 special looks good) or sealifeinc.net, or even GARF.org. Each of these places have their own set of invertibrates that you can buy, and not pay a fortune for.

#7 I personally would go with BOTH the two clowns and the bicolor. Not that I think that the single clown would be lonely, it is a fish incapable of emotion like that. I just like the look of two clowns together, and they may actually pair up and breed. You may end up with more critters to raise and sell. :)

#8 I am impressed that a HS age person can fund each pet purchace on their own. I have a lot of experience with HS kids (13 years of teaching) and those that are motivated to keep fish are few and far between. Most people your age are more interested in Xbox, Wii, iPod, etc.

#9 I agree on what others say about the yellow tang. A 3 foot long tank does not give them enough room to swim. They are built for swimming long distances, and they practically bonk their noses on the walls each time they try to swim. Also feeding macro algae is a pain. If you cannot grow your own in a refugium you will be on a constant search for more. Buying it from the LFS becomes expensive, and romane lettuce is a poor substitute. Do you really want to see one of these fish grow sick and die in your care? Besides in an tank that small you are just asking for it to be stresses, and a stressed tank is a tank covered with ick!!! They are never the same after that.

#10 You talk about cleaner shrimp cleaning off ick from fish. I may be wrong, and will admit it if someone gives evidence otherwise, but I do not think that cleaner shrimp can get ick off a fish. Ick is a parasite that lives UNDER the skin of fish. Unless the shrimp can scrape the skin off, eat the ick, and then replace the skin and scales, there is no way for the shrimp to eat the ick. They may take off the white bumps, and they clean many other ectoparasites, but not ick.

#11 You stated that you will probably not take your tank with you when you go to college. WHY NOT? I had a 20 gal hex in my dorm room for 2 years, and when I got married and moved out of the dorms we had a 45 long tank in the apartment. Like I stated in your other post about lights for corals, it took most of my money that was supposed to be for my education... but that is living and learning. You may need to downsize, get an aquapod, or a nanocube, but the bonus of those is that they have better lights, and you will be able to keep almost any coral in one of those, even the PC models. Get the MH models and the sky is the limit. KEEP REEFING it is much more difficult to get back into it if you leave. (I've been out for 10 years, and a lot of what I "know" is so out of date that I feel like I am learning it all over again.

cheers :)

hahah!!! WHOA!!! :P

You wrote an essay!!!

Thanks i am a motivated young man! :) I breed budgies, have 16 in total. Have a cockatiel, a dog, a cat, have been breeding bdugeis since i was 8. Bred gerbils, had hamsters, ride horses (am getting one soon) and yeah, im in LOVE with pets. I fund the money i need for them all by myself! I buy equipment, cages, toys e.t.c for all the birds, fish, rodents, and all the food also. I dont have a job, so i save my hard earned money (from breeding budgies, and from xmas and birthdays). I budget, and only use what i can, as i budget for the year :)

Im not getting a tang ;) lol Your right...

When i go to college ill get a 20g i think! But i just wont be able to bring my 46g :( It depends on how far away to univeristy i go. If im close ill bring rock, fish,a nd equioment from home tank, if not, im not spening my beer money on new reef :P lol

Ive seen cleaner shrimps clean ick ;) Members have proof! :P lol (piccies)

Umm thats about it..im poooped, gtg bed! :( lol Thanks for adivce, nice to hear someone so positive and helpful! :D

Flick

Im baaaaackk! :P lol

Thanks again for comments :)

When could i add my next fish? I *have* decided on getting:

-2 chromis

-2 clowns

-1 bicolor blenny

-1 cleaner shrimp

I want to get the cleaner shrimp, and other chromis next time... :) Then, after that, im going to get the two clowns... Then after that get the blenny... What do you think???

So, how long of a wait should i have inbetween getting my 2nd batch of fish? I got my current green chromis on the 24th...

Great thanks man! :)

Thats what i was thinking... Im going to add the chromis and cleaner shrimp in 2 weeks... then 2 weeks after that ill get the 2 clowns :D :D :D

Ive decided NOT to go with a blenny :) Im sticking with clowns, shrimps, and chromis; :)

Flick

Sweet thanks! :D

Awesome tank! :)

Chromis is doing great! :D I CANNOT wait to get my clowns, cleaner shrimp, or other chromis!!! :D lol

Flick

Hey you! :)

I eamiled you... im guessing it didnt work? :(

My parents said i could come pick it up this weekend form you! :) We go to cambridge a lot anyways ;) What time works for you???and which day? :)

Thanks! :) Hes an awesome addition! :D I cannot wait to get your GPS frag possibly this weekend, my cleaner shrimp, and another chromis next weekend, then my two clowns after that! :D Such an awseome tank! I LOVE ittt!!! :D

ps- Got any other frags you dont need, or have to much of? If so, what kind, and price!?!?

Flick

Current Dilema:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1062146

Should i get this 130w for $100 and can i put frogspawn, torch, mushrooms, GPS, toadstool, and xenias in the tank??? (Xenia, mushrooms, and toadstool came as hitch hikers on rock, i am getting a frag of GPS from a fellow reefer any day now, and ive wanted, and will buy the torch, and frogspawn if this lighting is ok). Ive gotten advice saying it will work great, and i should go ahead and do it for only $100 :D

Right now the tanks only got 43w i think of TERRIBLE freshwater, and screw in house lamp flourescent bulbs :( It was *suppose* to be a FOWLR ;) Not anymore!!! LOL

Archived