Cultivated Reef

New 46g bowfront tank!

flick

Your fish list doesn't look bad. I actually considered a Lemonpeel, but noone had one when I bought the Coral Beauty. Now, the LFS constantly gets them. Just make sure you add him last and personally, I'd wait until the tank has matured a little (6 months).

Well, I started my CUC with about 20 turbos, 10 blue legs and 5 zebra hermits. I've got 2 blue legs and 1 HUGE zebra hermit left. I cannot add a snail or otherwise it would be zebra hermit food before morning. :angry: I would get more snails than hermits, but it's mostly because I hate hermits.

Mel

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what kind of lighting do you have? wpg really doesn't mean anything. Xenia doesn't need a lot of light.

$30 won't be enough if you're shopping at big al's. I'd recommend more snails then crabs since they do more and don't tend to kill each other.

Hey guys!!!

I just got my rock, sand, and everything else i need!!! :D

I got A LOT of GREAT live rock (40lbs, but fills the tank pretty good), 40lbs of crushed coral mixed with live sand, AND!!!! He also sold me his Ramora Skimmer for ONLY $100!!! :D THATS A GREAT PRICE!!! So, i left his house with 40lbs of great rock, a new ramora skimmer, and 40lbs crushed coral for only $230!!! :D :D :D lol The sand fills up 2" on floor (which is perfetcly what i wanted), the rock fills the tank well (i made a nice mountain peice that is stable, filled with caves, looks great, and looks natural, and the Ramora protien skimmer that has a maxijet powerhead, and a DIY overflow box to skim the surface of the tank! :D Im soo pleased!

I took pics of me taking down the tank, and also of me setting it back up. So there ar e about 50pics in all. I will upload them soon, and post them asap! :)

The guy have a 55g reef which was stunning! a yellow tang, 2 hosting clowns, green chromis, and a few other fish! Soo nice! Filled with soft, and hard corals, a huge amazing refugium, and lots of extra gadjets (sp?)!!! It was great! And he told me a few good shops near us. They quaranteen their fish for a month before they get put for sale, so they are very healthy, and in perfect shape! So, ill upload pics soon!

ps- My lighting is 48w. 2 flourescent bulbs that screw in a incandescent canopy, and 50/50 marine flourescent tube :) There is probably 100 xenias on the rock, and i hope they make it! Also, i found lots of crabs, and snails, also a bristleworm in the first 5 min :) so lots of life, and a fast cycle is headed my way! lol

Flick

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

The tank is very murky there :(

It has now settled, and i will take new piccies! It looks AMAZING!!! :D :D :D

Flick :)

tank looks great ... but the crushed coral may give you some problems later on ... i started my tank with it and couldn't get the nitrates down even after countless water changes it was any where from 10 - 20 ppm. So i changed to live sand and it now stays at a constant 0.

Whoa really? :( TEAR!!!

I had aragonite sand in my 15g, and it was great! Another member said ill get high nitrates :( Darn!!!!! :( :( :( How would i reduce them? LOTS of water changes?

the water changes didn't really help me much ... the stuff that i siphoned out of my crushed coral was like brown .... i don't mean to discourage you or anything but i find that with live sand maintenence is easier because debris (flakes food etc) stays on the surface and the cuc takes care of it .... and live sand will lower your nitrates

Hows the xenia doing?

If I were you I'd take the crushed coral out now before problems arise and you have more life in your tank, and add more rock now so that it can cure along with what you have in there instead of having to cure it in another tank or bucket.

:( Oh well.. lol

It's not a bad thing, it just makes it look like a different tank size. I like how yours is developing. Cant wait for more pics.

UPDATE:

Thanks for advice! Is there a chemical i can add to the tank to lower nitrates? I have a lot of 'prime' ;) lol

I just tested the water and it is:

Ph- 8.2

Nitrate: 0

Nirtite: 0

Ammonia: 0

:D :D :D The tank is 2 weeks old about, and it has already cured live rock, the cured crushed coral, and 18g of water from the established saltwater tank i got the rock from, is it time for a cleanup crew??? ;) The tank started to get brown algae on the floor, and some of the rocks. Not a lot though, and has stoppped growing :)

Soo...

If i dont mix it around it will trape nitrates? So i should mix it around every once in a while (ones a week maybe?)

Are my parameters ok for clean up crew? I had no die off of my hundreds of glove xenia! :D And the crab that came with the rock, is running around cleaning, fine :) Is it time for CUC?!?! :D

Heyy! :)

Here are some new piccies! :D :D :D

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

Is that a mushroom?!?!?

IMG_2463.jpg

Close up of glove xenia...

IMG_2464.jpg

FTS

IMG_2466.jpg

What creature is this?

IMG_2465.jpg

Great thanks! :)

How do you like the tank guys? Do you like the layout, and the rock structure i setup? Hope it looks as good in your eyes as it does in mine!!! :D :D :D

Thanks! :)

They are amazing! Everything is 0 dead on!!! :D :D :D And ph is 8.1!!! :D So its all perfect! I went to get Clean up crew today, store had NONE except red legged hermits for $6.99 each... no way man :( I almost got my green chromis though..i was soo tempted! Params are perfect, and tank is fully cured, but i feel like i should get the CUC first, just to be safe, then get first fishie. What do you think??? :) Thanks guys!

bump

Should i get my first fish now? All params are safe and constant :) There are many chromis at my LFS... Or do you feel like i should get my clean up crew before the first fish? Thanks guys! :)

And for clean up crew, what list should i get? (ie, how many crabs, and snails, and which species of each).. thanks! :)

Flick

Archived