Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New 46g bowfront tank!

flick

bump

Should i get my first fish now? All params are safe and constant :) There are many chromis at my LFS... Or do you feel like i should get my clean up crew before the first fish? Thanks guys! :)

And for clean up crew, what list should i get? (ie, how many crabs, and snails, and which species of each).. thanks! :)

Flick

I'd wait a little longer for fish. For snails, maybe 15 Trochus they are great algae eaters. I'm not sure how Nassarius snails would fair in crushed coral, but if they are good maybe another 10 of them. I would only get a couple of hermits they really don't do much as far as cleaning and just end up killing the snails. I like having a few but I'm glad I don't have too many of them.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok i should wait for the fish then? The tanks been setup 15 days (2 weeks) with cured live rock, and VERY cured, bacteria infested coral substrate. All params are good, temp is perfect at 78, salinity is 1.023, and thats about it. Skimmer is taking out all the bad protein, powerhead making nice current on tank, and HOB filter adding even more circulation :) What should i do? I thought it would be fine to add the first fish? I will next weekend then ;)

I was thinking 5 large turbo snails for cleaning the glass, and 5 hermits...? What do you think with that...

The tanks already cycled ;) I just feel the time is right now lol. And what do you mean about the cock-raoches of the sea? lol. I just like the look of them, and want it to be the guinea pig of my tank to see if its ready for more expensive, bigger fish :)

Flick :)

5 turbos is crazy! i would go for 3 turbos and get a variety of other snails... and def get 1 inexpensive fish to help get the tank going (CHROMIS BABY!)... then you can tell what impact the fish has on the system by testing your parameters - how long has your tank been up for?

haha you read my mind!

I edited that stuff in, then i saw you replied, and you said same thing! :P lol thats funny!

So 3 turbos, and maybe 2 margarita snails? I had those before, they were awesome! But fell of glass a lot, and got stuck in sand upside down, then got eaten by the blue legged hermits :( lol.

Its been up 15 days, a little over 2 weeks with bacteria filled amazingly porous live rock, and crushed coral thats practically moving there are so many hitich hikers, and items from the tank i got it from, that was running for 8 months ;) I think the tank is ready! lol...

Hey guys! :)

***UPDATE***

Water is still safe and fine. Im planning on getting my first fish tomorrow, a green chromis, to add to the tank! :D

Still trying to plan a clean up crew list. What would you suggest? For crabs, and snails? I heard narssacaris (spelling?) are good as the dig deep in the substrate, and are great for a CUC. Your opinions are...???

Also, how many inches of fish do you think my tank should have? I now want 1 true percula, 1 green chromis, 1 angel (thinking of a yelllow, false heraldi) and a cleaner shrimp!!! :D I plan to add the fish in this order:

chromis

clown

cleaner

angel

What do you think with that list for fish? Ill be looking at about 11" MAX of fish in the tank, with a floorplan of 36" x 15". Thanks guys! :)

Flick

*****QUESTION*****

Should i just get 2 clownfish tomorrow instead of the chromis?

I like chromis a lot, but i dont want to get a single one, thats sad :( So im thinking. The tank params are PERFECT!!!! (Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ph 8.2, temp 79). Id rather get 2 clowns, instead of 1 clown and 1 chromis! And i dont want to get 1 clown, then add another later, as id worry about pairing :(

So, should i get 2 clownfish tomrrow instead of a single chromis. I wanted the chromis, but i think i wanted it more to use as a guinea pig to make sure the water is fine for other fish. But if my params are safe and perfect, why not add two clownfish instead of a single green chromis right? :( What are your thoughts???

I want 2 true percs!!! :D :D :D

anyone?

What are your thoughts? Ill take new tank pics soon! I re-aquascaped it all!!! :D :D :D Made MANY more caves and hiding spots for the fish, more ledges for the xenia thats taking over the tank, and made the rock strecth the whole length of the tank! :)

FLick :)

Here are the new piccies!!! :D :D :D

Notice how i made more caves, and i like the lay out MUCH better!!! What do you think? (I made more caves, overhangs, and hiding spots). lol

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

your tank looks huge lol... put a small fishy in there! i wish i could reach my hand thru the computer and rip out that overflow box it is very eye-distracting!

Your tank is not cycled... put a cheaper fish in and see what happens... you may get algae outbreaks and whatnot - this is basic reef chemistry - the necessary bacteria cannot develop unless you give them some ammonia to process...

It *IS* cycled though...

half the water is from a setup healthy display tank, the rock is from the same place, and the bacteria filled subtrate is also from the established tank! :) I only have to use about 20 gallons of new water!!!

So, i should get the cheap chromis to test it out? or..

Flick

Ok thanks! :)

Yes i am in Guelph! :) You???

I want to:

-get my signle clownfish VERY soon *probably this weekend*

-then get my clean up crew, and cleaner shrimp (reason i dont have CUC yet, or why im getting them after my first fish is becuase no shops near me have any snails for few weeks they said :( )...

-then get my last fish. A small yellow tang (shut up tang police, tank is a good size for a small tang, i will sell it once it gets too big, and i dont need your stupid comments)...

Can't wait to get the frst fishie!!! :D :D :D :D :D lol

Thanks! :)

I am getting a horse... so want to save my money! :P lol However i just realised i am breeding budgies now, and am getting $40 EACH baby :D I currently have 4 babies now, and ill let this pair breed once more this season...so thats another batch of $40 each! :P

So i guess i *will* get 1 chromis, 1 clown, 1 yellow tang, and 1 cleaner shrimp! :D That will look AWESOME!!!! :D lol

YES!! :D :D :D

It's FRIDAY!!! AKA First fish tomorrow!!! :P

Im thinking ill:

-get chromis tomorrow with small clean up crew

-clown and cleaner shrimp (in 2 weeks after i get the chromis, so 2 weeks after this weekend)

-the small yellow tang 2 weeks after i get the clown and cleaner ;)

that stocking plan sounds better...even though your tank is cycled param-wise, it'll still go through a small cycle after you've got something producing significant waste (like a fish) and it would suck to lose a clown in that situation. At my LFS ocellaris clowns cost 5 times what a chromis cost. You're stocking order looks good, too.

BTW, I love the new aqua-scape. You're fish will like it alot more than they would've a pile of rocks too. It'll be more entertaining to watch them swim in and out of the caves. Keep up the good work.

Thanks sooooo much man!

Thats so nice to hear such a positive nice reply :) Im trying ;) lol

I LOVE the fish list! It will have blues, yellows, oranges, and reds in the tank! Lots of size, and they all are different shapes, and move differently to make the tank seem like its got a nice mix of fish in it... :D

I LOVE my rock layout now! :D Its AWESOME!!! I can just imagine it now! The Chromis zipping around, the cleaner shrimp under one of the many cliffs, the clown swimming around, and the gorgeous tang going in an out of the many caves, ledges, hiding places e.t.c... CANNOT WAIT TO GET IT STOCKED!! :D lol

Yea you got it! I dont want to waste $30 when i can only loose $10 *if* something does go wrong :( But i have a feeling it wont... As if the tanks params were unsafe, the glove xenia wouldnt be as healthy ;) Ive been adding food (a pinch) once a week to the tank over the past 3 weeks ;) To get use to ammonia buildup... Which will soon be replaced by fish!!! :D lol

Flick

Hey!

Would my tank be suitable for green hairy large mushrooms??? :P

I can get a GREAT frag with 2 large shrooms for only $15 from a fellow reefer near me (kinda)!!! Should i get one of the frags?

My lighting is 48w of PC.... my Glovee xenia (which have same care requirements as large shrooms...low to medium light) are flourishing GREATLY and are spreading like wildfire??? Shoudl i?

I LOVE the look of them, and i think i am going to get a frag of them ;)

That means ill have glove xenia, large green hairy mushrooms, and green star polyps in the 46g bowfront tank! That will look great!!! :D :D :D

Archived