Top Shelf Aquatics

Phixion's Finnex 30g glass

Phixion

Looking good. Nice pickup on the blues! We might have to do some surgery on that huge colony HAHAHAA ~evil laugh

How your parameters with that huge freakin alk/ca monster at the top of your tank.

Dude, one of the rics I had for you is missing. I think it got in a fight with one of my acans.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that a boy Matt.:) so what did she name it?

One of my B&W clowns died, so Conrad took me to SeaDwelling to pick up a new one. WOW! that place is huge!!!! thousands of fish:) they didn't have anymore B&W clownsm so I got a true perc. They get along really good:) I'll post pictures later of the pair.

thx:)

I definitely will! Oh BTW Miriam, I let the g/f name the new fish. She was with me when I picked it out, finally. lol!

Sad to hear about one of them passing Miriam, but good to hear the new one gets along with the B&W. I was worried about the 6-line with my clown since my clown is a bastard and tries to bit anything that enters the tank. I didn't raise a mean fish, I swear!! :tears: Anywho, I still want to get another Fridmani Pesudo, lol!! She named the 6-line "Pinky" lol!

Andrew, I'll get you those readsings ASAP, I haven't tested in a couple weeks, but don't tell EZ, he'll hunt me down and shoot me if he knew... :ninja: I do drop in 2-3 cubes of Sea-Lab #28 about twice a week to suppliment Ca since I don't change my water weekly like I probably should. But the clam is definitely thriving well!! No signs of malnutrician that I can tell, and it's healthy. I was totally lucky to stumble on the huge blue colony I have. I love it, it's so purdy. I was looking at a pic of it I took and i think it's close to 200 polyps if not more!! Eitherway, I've never seen polyps this color blue before, so I consider it unique. Too lazy to look it up on zoaid, lol! I want to frag a piece for Frank at Tropical Reef Oasis and see what his system and 400w MH lighting can do for them. I told him I'd donate a couple polyps of my orange RPE to him since he's never seen any like that.

Oh yeah, coral fights suck. I had the 3-head ric (the first ric I got, from Strictly Fish, the blue one) was on the rock and then my hammer from Paul grew some looooong sweepers and one found the ric. Some tissue loss later and I relocated it, it wasn't that damaged though thankfully. The torch fell recently from off it's perch and toasted a small xenia cluster almost instantly the other day, lol! No big loss there though.

I think I'm going to have to sneak into your tank and get a few polyps of your OPE's. I want to see what they'll look like under halides.

I would look into dosing B-ionic. It'll take a week or so to get your dosing regimine down with several tests, but it is well worth it and you will know undoubtably that your alk and ca are rock solid. I have my dosing down, and I haven't tested for months. Every blue moon that I do decide to test though, readings are right on par. I get lazy on WC's too, I just make up with bigger WC's.

Even the owner at PTF recommended B-ionic. I think I'll pick up some, it's not all that expensive anyways. You know I got you covered on frags. ;) Yeah, I gave Quy Nguyen a single polyp of the orange RPE and he said he has 3 of them now!! They aren't growing in my tank though, what's up with that?!? You should have much better luck though Andrew, I suck at teh coral growing. :lol:

Even the owner at PTF recommended B-ionic. I think I'll pick up some, it's not all that expensive anyways. You know I got you covered on frags. ;) Yeah, I gave Quy Nguyen a single polyp of the orange RPE and he said he has 3 of them now!! They aren't growing in my tank though, what's up with that?!? You should have much better luck though Andrew, I suck at teh coral growing. :lol:

best freebi every! let me know if you like the goochester.

matt i will gladly trade you my B-ionic 2 part solution for some of your new blues! i used less than 2.5 ml on each bottle(each bottle is 16oz). i decided that when i restart im just going to keep zoo. I dont want sps anymore, because they will be too much for my brother to deal with while im away at the dorms/apt for college coming up fall (yes im finally transfering).

so i wont be needing the b-ionic anymore. let me know if you want to trade =]

best freebi every! let me know if you like the goochester.

matt i will gladly trade you my B-ionic 2 part solution for some of your new blues! i used less than 2.5 ml on each bottle(each bottle is 16oz). i decided that when i restart im just going to keep zoo. I dont want sps anymore, because they will be too much for my brother to deal with while im away at the dorms/apt for college coming up fall (yes im finally transfering).

so i wont be needing the b-ionic anymore. let me know if you want to trade =]

What about for your clam though? It's got a lot of growing to do. ;)

someone came to pick it up right after you left. im planning for a 24 gallon display that doesnt require much upkeep since i wont be home, so im going to aviod the clams and sps

hola chico:)

aw. Pinky, I LIKE!

my clowns eat like crazy. There's thousands of tiny creatures all over the tank that they feed on. Especially on the back wall.

I got a nice size frogspawn hoping they would host it, no luck:(

I will probably just add them to the 90gal when it's ready and replace them with a mated pair of B&W's:)

so how did you train your fish to be sooooo mean? lol

Sad to hear about one of them passing Miriam, but good to hear the new one gets along with the B&W. I was worried about the 6-line with my clown since my clown is a bastard and tries to bit anything that enters the tank. I didn't raise a mean fish, I swear!! :tears: Anywho, I still want to get another Fridmani Pesudo, lol!! She named the 6-line "Pinky" lol!

I think it's mad at me for rarely ever feeding it... =X I say, don't bite the hand that feeds you, it doesn't listen and tries to bite me anyways. :( Sometimes I get lucky and he doesn't notice my hand, ahh well...

I don't hear of too many clowns hosting FS's, but then again many people will tell you that a FS will almost never lose a coral fight, so I guess it would be too rough on the clown. Mine loves my 3-head torch though, look into getting one and maybe it'll host it. ;) I too have pods like mad in my tank, some of them are huge and live in my fuge.

How are the reactors you got working out for you??

I added the driptray with filter floss in it as Finnex sent me part of the "skimmer fix" kit to reduce the micro bubbles it makes. I omitted the huge sponge they include with the driptray and filter floss that's wedged into the tray, and my tank is completely bubble free from the skimmer, w000t! B) Also last night I started using B-Ionic Ca/Alk suppliment for my tank. I didn't test the tank BEFORE putting it in, but I'll test it tonight to see where it put the tank at Ca and Alk wise. Does 7mL for a 30g tank sound about the right amount? I guess I'll find out... :ninja:

I also added a Hydor-Flo to the return line and turned the fuge flow back on and all seems to be working well. The Hydor-Flo does infact work with the stock 475gph pump bearing in mind the GPH loss at the return from both the fuge flow diversion and the head length from the bottom to near the top of the tank, about "17 or so... And lastly, I bought an R2 moon LED light to suppliment the stock Finnex LEDs that the TEK reflectors I have on are covering up. Works out anyways since I'm putting the actinics on a timer to eliminate me having to keep them off when I don't stay at home, thus causing me to run only HALF of the lighting for a day or two.

I'm currently experiencing super high Ca level issues. I guess my clam isn't nearly as Ca hungry as I'd have thought it would be. I started dosing B-Ionic last week. Dosed 7mL for 4 days before noticing my Ca was WAY high. I stopped last thursday (the last day I dosed it) and it's still been high ever since. How high? Well my API Ca test said 620ppm and my Red-Sea Ca test said 700ppm!! That test I don't trust so much because you can only test in increments of 50ppm which is rather vague. My Mg levels were pretty par on though, Accord86 tested that for me when he dropped some frags over, so I'll get the exact number on that. And my ALK is at 3.2meq/L or 9.2dkH depending on your method of measure. Last night I did a near 5g water change in the tank to hopefully knock it down. The tank surprisingly isn't precipitating the Ca as I've heard a high level will do, and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything... Maybe I never needed B-Ionic in the first place, lol! :lol: One of the frags I got was a monti digi so hopefully that'll suck up some plentyful Ca from the water. I'll keep testing and see what happens though. Also of note, my pH isn't high or anything, in fact when i tested it 2 nights ago it was at 8.0

I fragged like 30 polyps of the blue zoas when you weren't looking. The colony is so big though I doubt you'd even notice.

Your mag level was between 1200 and 1230.

Definitely start dosing DT's phytoplankton. There's a few local places that carry it. I would even bowl feed the clam once a week for 30min. or so.

The monti frags probably won't affect your ca/alk levels too much since they are pretty small frags.

Must get more SPS! :D Iz, I need that bird nest, STAT! :lol:

I'd check PTF for the DTs, but they rip you off on the frozen foods, ugh! EZ fed it DT's oyster eggs I believe, is there much differance of those to phyto? What if I put the clam in a bath of the Zoo plex, or any other ingredients that I have for that matter... Is there any way to target feed a clam without removing it from it's spot?

Anywho, I'll try to get another FTS tonight if I can. Oh and Andrew, yeah half the rock could be fragged and I'm sure I'd never notice, hahaha!! Last night, Dina said to me "you need to start selling some of your corals, sounds like good $$$..." :o Oh heck no I thought to myself! What I DO need to sell is my Aquapod though. Anyone local need about 10lbs. of L/S??

Must get more SPS! :D Iz, I need that bird nest, STAT! :lol:

I'd check PTF for the DTs, but they rip you off on the frozen foods, ugh! EZ fed it DT's oyster eggs I believe, is there much differance of those to phyto? What if I put the clam in a bath of the Zoo plex, or any other ingredients that I have for that matter... Is there any way to target feed a clam without removing it from it's spot?

Anywho, I'll try to get another FTS tonight if I can. Oh and Andrew, yeah half the rock could be fragged and I'm sure I'd never notice, hahaha!! Last night, Dina said to me "you need to start selling some of your corals, sounds like good $$$..." :o Oh heck no I thought to myself! What I DO need to sell is my Aquapod though. Anyone local need about 10lbs. of L/S??

nope, i use dts reef blend phyto for my clams.

i also use oyster eggs, kent phyto max, liquidlife coral food 2, etc etc which im sure the clams benefit from as well. where is that fts!

Ahh ok, I thought you fed straight DT pyster eggs for some reason.

So no FTS tonight, my jawfish moved some sand today and moved some of it to infront of the lower intake holes that go to the pump chamber. So needless to say, some sand was sucked into the pump and deposited out into the tank, jamming up my hydor flo and making it look like it snowed in the tank. Everything is pretty closed up right now from all the sand I blew off everything with a pipette. =/ That guy is so messy, ugh!

I was wondering the same thing too! :P

yup, its Hyori. she's done too much too her face and body i can't even recognize her now.

Archived