Cultivated Reef

Phixion's Finnex 30g glass

Phixion

fraggle rockette
lol, I think I'm safe. She doesn't like putting her hand in the tank.

her hand? what's on the other arm, a hook? :lol:

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okies, new FTS, w00t!! Glass still dirty for Adin and Maeda. ;)

tank_moved2.jpg

Link to full sized

And a pic of my not-so-bastage-clown-anymore hosting it's new frogspawn, courtesy of Atwater. B)

phizzle_hosting.jpg

Enjoy as always!

I'm going to throw a pin cushion urchin in your tank when you're not looking. You're going to wake up and say "where'd all the algae and coraline go?"

I'm going to throw a pin cushion urchin in your tank when you're not looking. You're going to wake up and say "where'd all the algae and coraline go?"

We can call him toxy the toxic crusader.

:D

are you using rodi?

Sure am, from my Water General system I have. Still testing out at 0 TDS too. Maeda suspects it could be my DSB, or possibly the Koralia kicking up junk into the water column that creates proper conditions for cyano to form on the sand. it wasn't forming before I put the Koralia in the tank a few days ago... =/

Some updates! So yesterday *or was it the day before?) I put in a fresh new sack of PhosGuard. I know it can leach iron and blah blah blah, but I gotta get this cyano and RHA under control... Come today when I come home from work, there isn't much cyano on the sand surface, w00t!! Granted I bought a new baster and sucked a bit of it out yesterday, not much returned today. I'm not sure how much longer to leave the Phosguard in for though, the container says about 4 days, then replace and then another 4 days, then to go a long period with it after that... I'll see what happens.

Anywho, I took some pics of some stuff I've added over the past week, including part of my newest purchase that I made at the SCNRS BBQ this past weekend at Fraggle Reef. There I splurged $120 on a new CLAM, a huge yuma on a rock (though I'm thinking it might be a large ric...), and a frag each of blue organism zoas, and aqua blue propellerhead palys. B) Then last friday I hung out with Accord86 at another friend's pad and he brught me another clam as well and some other frags from his tank he's tearing down that I had reserved dibs on. And of course Phaellox sold me a pretty sweet frogspawn frag. :) Needless to say, I'm getting back on track. Without further adeu, some pics!

The new green/orange/white ric pair from PTF...

cool_rics.jpg

My new clam from Fraggle Reef (thanks Miguel!)

fraggle_clam.jpg

And last but not least, a new FTS taken less than 24 hours ago. :) One day I'll clean the damn glass... *sigh* :P:lol:

recovery.jpg

As always, link to full size of FTS

If the pics look different than my others (bad white balance or whatever) it's because I took the pics with my g/f's Canon ELPH SD600 digicam and didn't putz around much with the settings.

I'm wondering how long I should keep the bag of Chemi-Pure in my tank for... And I'm planning to do a 1/6th (15% ??) water change tonight.

Not too much to report here. Tested my Phosphates and Ca levels...

Phosphate is between 0.05 and 0.1meq/L

Ca is currently around 460ppm. B)

Cyano is back, and RHA is kinda growing where it was at. Not sure where my phosphates are coming from, maybe my substrate?? I top-off and mix salt with 0 TDS RO/DI for those I know that will ask. ;)

Thanks!! They are actually Florida rics though, but I do a have a nice big yuma I scored recently. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure where my phosphates are coming from, maybe my substrate??

How many times do I have to tell you! YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

:P

Check your TDS too. I noticed that temp swings can also help the algae a lot(not sure on a real scientific reason why..yet).

Gravel vac time~! Take out like 50% of that substrate.

What's wrong with you matt!? A magfloat AND a nimble? why!?

Your tank IS looking nicer though, I must admit.

HATERS! :P:lol:

Ok, the Mag I had first, and then got the Nimble. But hey, at least I have a Nimble, right? ;) The crap on the glass is super hard now, it's razor blade time. =/ I plan to remove a bit of the substrate soon for sure!!! Just gotta leave a bit for Dusky. My TDS is still 0, w00t!! And I don't have temp swings, I have a chiller, remember? ;) Also even with a cheap phosphate pad AND ROWA, my G/RHA is still growing, what the fsck?? :(

nanotrigger
Some updates! So yesterday *or was it the day before?) I put in a fresh new sack of PhosGuard. I know it can leach iron and blah blah blah, but I gotta get this cyano and RHA under control... Come today when I come home from work, there isn't much cyano on the sand surface, w00t!! Granted I bought a new baster and sucked a bit of it out yesterday, not much returned today. I'm not sure how much longer to leave the Phosguard in for though, the container says about 4 days, then replace and then another 4 days, then to go a long period with it after that... I'll see what happens.

Anywho, I took some pics of some stuff I've added over the past week, including part of my newest purchase that I made at the SCNRS BBQ this past weekend at Fraggle Reef. There I splurged $120 on a new CLAM, a huge yuma on a rock (though I'm thinking it might be a large ric...), and a frag each of blue organism zoas, and aqua blue propellerhead palys. B) Then last friday I hung out with Accord86 at another friend's pad and he brught me another clam as well and some other frags from his tank he's tearing down that I had reserved dibs on. And of course Phaellox sold me a pretty sweet frogspawn frag. :) Needless to say, I'm getting back on track. Without further adeu, some pics!

The new green/orange/white ric pair from PTF...

cool_rics.jpg

My new clam from Fraggle Reef (thanks Miguel!)

fraggle_clam.jpg

And last but not least, a new FTS taken less than 24 hours ago. :) One day I'll clean the damn glass... *sigh* :P:lol:

recovery.jpg

As always, link to full size of FTS

If the pics look different than my others (bad white balance or whatever) it's because I took the pics with my g/f's Canon ELPH SD600 digicam and didn't putz around much with the settings.

I'm wondering how long I should keep the bag of Chemi-Pure in my tank for... And I'm planning to do a 1/6th (15% ??) water change tonight.

how much did those rics cost at PTF? i just bought 9 of them well 8. one floated away somewhere and i cant find her anymore.

Do you have any hermit crabs in the tank? If not go buy like 10-15 true scarlet hermit crabs and they will take care of that algae....Then when its gone sell the hermits....My uncle did this to his tank and it worked really well

Do you have any hermit crabs in the tank? If not go buy like 10-15 true scarlet hermit crabs and they will take care of that algae....Then when its gone sell the hermits....My uncle did this to his tank and it worked really well

But I'd have to pick much of it out before they'd touch it, right? Right now I just have a zebra hermit and an electric blue leg... =/

As bad as it'll be, I was thinking I could get a baby yellow tang, let it go to town and sell it in a few weeks to a month... But there's other options than that. Another was to replace the rock with all new and fresh rock... I definitely gotta scoop out at least half of my substrate for sure either way I go.

Archived