Cultivated Reef

Phixion's Finnex 30g glass

Phixion

No, it's back with a vengance yet again. :( I really need to scoop about 10lbs. of sand out... *sigh* Need any chaeto, my fuge it overflowing with it, lol!!

Come with your scraperz and it's all yours for FREEE!! :D

P.S. My tank is boring right now, it's needs something new and colorful. Ok, the red shroom from EZ actually brightened it up a bit (especially under actinics), but I'm not satisfied yet... =/

what is your clean up crew?

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why not get rid of them all? :)

All of my sand?? My jawfish wouldn't like that much. ;) Not to mention my tank is glass bottom, too risky.

Kerry, my current CUC is 4 nass snails, and one lone hermit, lol! I know I need more things though for sure.

All of my sand?? My jawfish wouldn't like that much. ;) Not to mention my tank is glass bottom, too risky.

Kerry, my current CUC is 4 nass snails, and one lone hermit, lol! I know I need more things though for sure.

yes, get more blue leg hermits After i did my 100% water change and added the hermits all that brown stuff on my sand has not grown back since.

I used to have a hard working electric blue leg (that was a bit bigger than your average blue leg), but then it dissapeared, it's shell laying empty in the sand. Not sure what got to it, as i only had one other hermit in the tank at the time that was much smaller than it.

lol, yes he won't like it but you will :)

lol, true. Less sand has been MUCH more appealing to me, no thanks to Maedas tank. I figure a minimal cover of sand over most of the tank, then keep it about "3 around the immediate area of my jawfish to keep him happy. B)

finally. Where's the pics. Get rid of that sand!

Oh, I haven't scooped out the sand yet, I'm still in lazy-a$$ mode. :P:(

Alright, I quit being lazy for a few minutes and snapped an FTS and other pics.

Here's the latest FTS as of 8/15/07 Please be kind to my cyano, it's nasty and I'm gonna get medival on it's a$$ soon here! :angry:

finnex_goodies.jpg

Full size for a better view ;)

And a piece I've been wanting for a long while now, a watermelon chalice. I won't claim it's a "Tyree" coral or any of that crap, I'm just thankful I have a piece no matter who propegated it.

watermelon.jpg

And lastly a milli I'm not sure of the type that I have in my tank, that I submitted to the latest POTM contest. It's on the sand, and doing well under my 96w T5HO lights. It's probably an easy SPS to keep though I'd imagine...

milli_SPS1.jpg

And lastly a frag of birdsnest I picked up from PotsyGSXR last night, forgive me Paul for not remembering the name of it...

birdsnest4.jpg

cyano... switch to nsw ;)

What the...?!? NSW was the demise of my AP12... *sigh* I'll never use that junk again! RO/DI + Tropic Marin or Red-Sea Coral Pro FOR LYFE!!! :P

How's the milli look dying, John. :( Save my tank!!!

see all that tissue its missing? It looks like it got some kind of patchy necrosis...

You might want to frag a healthy piece to save for back up, and see how the rest of the colony does.

what you're using can't be all that great if you've got the red slime!

0 TDS RO/DI (tested the last time I filled up for top-off 2 days ago) and currently Red-Sea Coral Pro salt... =/ Maybe I should go back to Tropic Marin??

Save my milli, John!!

Bring it here. It just better not have AEFW or I will hunt you down and KILL YOU for every AEFW I find in my tank.

Yes thats right, I will dig up your body, and dip you in the lazerus bath to bring you back to life and then kill you again, repeatedly.

Just dip it before you dunk it! ;)

So how can I tell if it's healthy or not? If i see polyp extension, I assume it's healthy... =/

By the way, RO/DI is still at 0 TDS as of last night! it's definitely NOT my water I'm using, and I'd doubt the salt would be that crappy... I think my rock is fuX0red. :(

matt,

I am in the same boat with you right now.... got every algae known to man and nothing is working.... I think I finally may have found the source of mine..... I found slime in the bottom of my water containers. now I just gotta get it outa the tank..... the guys at PR in torrance rcmded a turbo for a few weeks.....I might try that....if it helps I'd be willing to pass it along.

p.s. was it YOU who picked up the trumpets from Paul??? I think I see them in your new FTS.

Just dip it before you dunk it! ;)

So how can I tell if it's healthy or not? If i see polyp extension, I assume it's healthy... =/

By the way, RO/DI is still at 0 TDS as of last night! it's definitely NOT my water I'm using, and I'd doubt the salt would be that crappy... I think my rock is fuX0red. :(

Polyp extension is no indication of health on sps. You just have to look at the tissue. Even color isn't a good signifier of health in SPS (unless its bleached). The patchyness of the skim looks BAD.

If any more skin starts peeling/flaking/dissapearing, frag the bugger asap. Cut ABOVE the damage line so your frags have 100% healthy tissue. Toss the rest.

I feel safer taking it to you to frag for me, you can have a piece for the efforts. ;) I think I got it from Andrew?? I can't remember...

R20, thanks for the offer of the snails. I bought 4 nass snails a couple weeks ago, hoping they would stir up my sand and eat the detrius. That happened for the first couple days, now they spend the day (and night) buried in the sand. Stupid snails! :angry:

I must admit I did get the trumpets from Paul. My g/f saw them and was suddenly inspired to set up a 10g AGA we have, into a reef similar to mine. She thought the coral was pretty, lol! I think now she can understand my reef needs. ;) Let me see if i can grow it out another head or two, and I'll frag you a piece for sure!

I will hold you to that offer!!! My 'digging' snails come out about once a week, the hermits attack them and they go back into the sand for another week....and keep repeating.... I'm gonna give mine a week b4 I pickup a turbo to see what happens 'naturally'. good luck

I feel safer taking it to you to frag for me, you can have a piece for the efforts. ;) I think I got it from Andrew?? I can't remember...

R20, thanks for the offer of the snails. I bought 4 nass snails a couple weeks ago, hoping they would stir up my sand and eat the detrius. That happened for the first couple days, now they spend the day (and night) buried in the sand. Stupid snails! :angry:

I must admit I did get the trumpets from Paul. My g/f saw them and was suddenly inspired to set up a 10g AGA we have, into a reef similar to mine. She thought the coral was pretty, lol! I think now she can understand my reef needs. ;) Let me see if i can grow it out another head or two, and I'll frag you a piece for sure!

Thanks. It's funny, I'll sprinkle some Reef-Roids in the water and they all come out with their "snork" moving around like to say "I smell foooooodz, where's it at??" hahaha!!!

Archived