Pod Your Reef

Tamberav's 75g reef build

Tamberav

Been doing 20mL of alk from BRS daily, Alk around 7.6 currently.

Either I tested wrong or overshot my Mg dosage, it read 1420 today. Will test again later.

I've had a good response to PO4 with Brightwell XPORT-PO4.

Thanks Kat, I have some GFO on hand so I will give that a try to use it up and look into this, I hate how dusty GFO is. How often do you change it? Do you run it in a reactor?

CronicReefer

Haven't changed it yet. Used 5 grams of it, they're like cubes, I just put it in a media bag in the sump. They are not to be used in a reactor.

In my experience they would dissolve over time and would have to be replenished as needed. I was always impressed at how little was needed to achieve results as well.

• Like 1

Haven't changed it yet. Used 5 grams of it, they're like cubes, I just put it in a media bag in the sump. They are not to be used in a reactor.

Wow, how long ago did you put it in there?

In my experience they would dissolve over time and would have to be replenished as needed. I was always impressed at how little was needed to achieve results as well.

That sounds really badass, I don't really want to run a reactor, will definitely give it a shot, debating if I should run GFO at all now. This sounds like less tinkering.

• Like 1
CronicReefer

Wow, how long ago did you put it in there?

That sounds really badass, I don't really want to run a reactor, will definitely give it a shot, debating if I should run GFO at all now. This sounds like less tinkering.

I use GFO in my tank but I usually only run about 20-30 grams (I have a 75 gallon just like yours) and I hang it in a media bag next to my protein skimmer outlet, no reactor needed. I've taken it out for the past few days to see how my tank handles phosphates on its own since my sulfur denitrator has started maturing with bacteria.

Divers Den had an unusual shrimp goby I had never seen before, couldn't find any info on the fish, went back and forth about the purchase but decided to give it a try. I have a few unique fish there isn't much info on, it's kind of an adventure discovering their behaviors. It is called a Yellow Lined Shrimp Goby, Vanderhorstia flavilineata.

I also picked up a firefish and a springers damsel as they were on my wish list for this tank.

Here is a nice google image of the unusual goby:

https://flic.kr/p/gisUN

74d068e3.jpg

• Like 2

Went ahead and picked up the Brightwell XPORt PO-4 since Marine Depot was offering free shipping today. They know how to get me.

• Like 3

Divers Den had an unusual shrimp goby I had never seen before, couldn't find any info on the fish, went back and forth about the purchase but decided to give it a try. I have a few unique fish there isn't much info on, it's kind of an adventure discovering their behaviors. It is called a Yellow Lined Shrimp Goby, Vanderhorstia flavilineata.

I also picked up a firefish and a springers damsel as they were on my wish list for this tank.

Here is a nice google image of the unusual goby:

74d068e3.jpg

Nice! How big do they get? I haven't heard of that one either

Nice upgrade btw!!

Nice! How big do they get? I haven't heard of that one either

Nice upgrade btw!!

Thanks! From what I could find, I think about 3".

It wasn't expensive or anything, cheaper than a yasha. Wonder why I haven't seen one before.

• Like 1

The fish arrived alive today, so far so good. I put the Diver's Den fish in the DT, my plan was to QT them but I discovered my glass top to the 20g got broken in the move :/ It was early morning and I slept poorly, so I was too lazy and grumpy to drive and get a new top. Praying no disease, will have to order a new top. The firefish arrived with its tailed a little frayed, hopefully nothing serious, he/she is out and eating.

The goby is beautiful, was out for a bit but found its shrimp and is hiding under the rocks now while the shrimp builds, derp. The goby does have that brilliant blue color depending which angle the light is hitting it.

The damsel is in a 6g QT.

Kat, how has your springers been? peaceful? Debating on whether I should be keeping the damsel in the fuge until I have all the other fish I want stocked.

• Like 2

Looks like 5g is just less than 2 pieces? Going to stick it in a bag between the baffles I'm thinking.

28328638945_5619d6f911_o.jpg

• Like 2

Fuge, just has my hubbys clown in it, we call her Big Mama Clown :happy: The NPS suffering a bit, they didn't get fed over the month of moving :( Trying to bring them back.

28305289556_87a37f6f0c_c.jpg

Fishies

27722975984_c66105817e_c.jpg

28305374396_346eee5bf5_c.jpg

27722970544_afa996473f_c.jpg

27722968034_c38b88078a_c.jpg

• Like 5

Fuge, just has my hubbys clown in it, we call her Big Mama Clown :happy: The NPS suffering a bit, they didn't get fed over the month of moving :( Trying to bring them back.

28305289556_87a37f6f0c_c.jpg

Fishies

27722975984_c66105817e_c.jpg

28305374396_346eee5bf5_c.jpg

27722970544_afa996473f_c.jpg

27722968034_c38b88078a_c.jpg

That's a very sweet little blenny the last photo what's the little dude/dudettes name? Given and species?

• Like 1

That's a very sweet little blenny the last photo what's the little dude/dudettes name? Given and species?

He/she is a Pictus Clown Blenny, Ecsenius pictus.

Really really like this tank setup. love the scape, i think it will grow in very very nicely.

Thanks so much, that is encouraging!

• Like 1

More cleaning up corals today, removed more mushrooms and a leather coral. I glued down my two montiporas, the green one was threatening to take over the frag rack. Go the pH prob dialed in and running.

I was planning on a mixed reef but thinking more SPS, LPS, and zoas + ricordias. I am thinking the leather corals may hinder SPS growth.

Plan on making the IM10 a softy centered tank, guessing I will have to constantly frag the leathers in there to keep them reasonable size!

• Like 2

I have 2 springers and they avoid each other. Sometimes I see them do a chase but they've lived together for 1.5 years now and haven't killed each other.

Maybe I did it wrong. 5 grams of Xport came to about 5 pieces for me, did you account for the bowl they were put in?

Also the 5 grams was calculated based on the level of phosphate i had, volume and where I wanted to be.

The decline in phosphates was slow and steady, it reduced the level by half every 3 days.

Right now phosphate is holding steady. When it rises I will replace it.

It's been in the sump now since 6/27. I took them out for about 2 days while I did the huge water change, didn't want to add to any shock that the tank was going through.

• Like 1

I only started my leathers several mos back so I have a long while to go before mine need trimming. I actually want to place them far enough from each other that I won't have to trim. I still haven't glued any as I'm not sure where they will be quite yet. I still want a a yellow fiji coral.

• Like 1

I have 2 springers and they avoid each other. Sometimes I see them do a chase but they've lived together for 1.5 years now and haven't killed each other.

Maybe I did it wrong. 5 grams of Xport came to about 5 pieces for me, did you account for the bowl they were put in?

Also the 5 grams was calculated based on the level of phosphate i had, volume and where I wanted to be.

The decline in phosphates was slow and steady, it reduced the level by half every 3 days.

Right now phosphate is holding steady. When it rises I will replace it.

It's been in the sump now since 6/27. I took them out for about 2 days while I did the huge water change, didn't want to add to any shock that the tank was going through.

The scale was zero with the bowl.

I wasn't sure where to start or how much to put in because math is hard... lol I figured my tank is somewhat near your size and... I figured I probably had more phosphate. I will take a look at the instructions again and test again soon. That's good to know it reduced it so quickly.

• Like 1

I only started my leathers several mos back so I have a long while to go before mine need trimming. I actually want to place them far enough from each other that I won't have to trim. I still haven't glued any as I'm not sure where they will be quite yet. I still want a a yellow fiji coral.

I have a little baby fiji, for right now I am leaving it in the 75g as I read they are more sensitive than other leathers. I also have some blue cespitularia I want to keep, its so pretty! I'm just not sure how I will fit it all in the 10g lol

• Like 1

The damsel in QT seemed 'off' somehow to me, could just be stress. She did arrive with a small white spot on her side, not sure if its early stages of uronema or just a dead scale/old injury. I started CP treatment tonight.

Damsel seems better today, active and behaving like a damsel should.

Tests for today:

Ca: 440

dkH: 8.2

Mg: 1520

NO3: 0

PO4: 0.03

PO4 has come down already, hurray! Mg is rising a lot, my salt has very high Mg so it could be the water change or maybe it is time to replace my test kit.

• Like 2

I'm glad things are moving in the right direction!

I just added a Pictus Clown Blenny to my potential stock list, he's cute! :lol:

• Like 1