Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tamberav's 75g reef build

Tamberav

Thanks all :)

So my urchin wasn't doing well since the move, sort of sluggish and not sticking well, he perished a few days ago :( I didn't take the body out right away and woke up to this today.... it is sort of morbid and cute lol

The blenny thinks he has a new clubhouse complete with spy hole....

28626670011_01c26ee468_k.jpg2016-08-01_02-32-10 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 8

Blennys are just too adorable :)

Not sure where I will put this....but got this girl for a whopping $5 at the LFS... it is either a N. wennerae or N. bredini. She is about an inch big, right now. She is in a breeder box while I decide if she will live in the fuge or have her own tank.

28450643400_3b2897e4b5_b.jpgDSC_0054 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

28450643430_5246a601c9_b.jpgDSC_0058 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

You can see the white meral spots in this shot.

28450643450_403582db1b_b.jpgDSC_0060 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Also picked up a 2g glass jar/vase thing, might do something with it.

28732872475_15a9fb82ba_b.jpg2016-08-02_08-54-27 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 6

$5 of awesome!! What a deal. Now imagine my Gert was 1/2" big. While Gertie went from complete maroon to green, this is like a combination of both! I'll be curious to see how she changes through molts.

• Like 2

Water change day! 10g changed... test day too.

Ca: 415

dKH: 9

Mg: 1360

NO3: 1

PO4: 0.03

Dialed back the alk doser. Will probably add a little bit of Ca, it dropped from 440 last week so may need to start dosing a tiny bit of that too.

$5 of awesome!! What a deal. Now imagine my Gert was 1/2" big. While Gertie went from complete maroon to green, this is like a combination of both! I'll be curious to see how she changes through molts.

One mans trash is anothers treasure! Pretty much made my day to find this girl, I am curious how she will change too. Looks like she couldn't make up her mind last molt.

• Like 3

Blennys are just too adorable :)

Not sure where I will put this....but got this girl for a whopping $5 at the LFS... it is either a N. wennerae or N. bredini. She is about an inch big, right now. She is in a breeder box while I decide if she will live in the fuge or have her own tank.

28450643400_3b2897e4b5_b.jpg

I'd say N. wennerae. When I got mine awhile back he had the same mottled pattern. First molt he went all green though. I've never seen them keep that coloration in a tank. Very cool! Have you decided where it'll be living?

• Like 1

I'd say N. wennerae. When I got mine awhile back he had the same mottled pattern. First molt he went all green though. I've never seen them keep that coloration in a tank. Very cool! Have you decided where it'll be living?

N. wennerae and bredini are completely indistinguishable visually but I am going to go with N. wennerae since that is the name we all know.

I decided against the fuge because I just know she will climb over the baffles. Plus she will get larger and if anything happened to my husbands clown in the fuge he would be pretty mad!

I have the old fluval spec V I think would work great. Right now it is being used as a QT but I can just use a 5g bucket or anything for a QT really.

I don't plan to have a light over the spec V, or at least nothing powerful, not sure if that will effect her colors or not. I would assume ambient lighting might still change her. Will put my suns in with her. She may molt before I even get the tank up though ;p

• Like 2

N. wennerae and bredini are completely indistinguishable visually but I am going to go with N. wennerae since that is the name we all know.

I decided against the fuge because I just know she will climb over the baffles. Plus she will get larger and if anything happened to my husbands clown in the fuge he would be pretty mad!

I have the old fluval spec V I think would work great. Right now it is being used as a QT but I can just use a 5g bucket or anything for a QT really.

I don't plan to have a light over the spec V, or at least nothing powerful, not sure if that will effect her colors or not. I would assume ambient lighting might still change her. Will put my suns in with her. She may molt before I even get the tank up though ;p

Yea that's right but I'm not sure N. bredini ever have that mottled green/ purple coloration. Not that it matters, badass whatever it is :lol:

The spec V would be perfect for that little guy!

• Like 1

Picked up a new urchin today, this one is red which I like.

28198268103_00abb75e1c_c.jpg2016-08-06_07-39-43 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

And this tiny little angel was a good price, could almost buy two at the LFS for the cheapest one on Live Aquaria. Shes getting acclimated into a 20g L QT.

28708243502_c3461a1b3f_c.jpg2016-08-06_07-41-10 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

The springer damsel is still in the Spec V QT and doing well, I think it has been 3 weeks now. I'm doing a 2nd round of prazi (double strength) and she finished CP, may add her to the fuge next week. She can hang out there until I'm ready to add her as the last fish. More of a passive damsel, but better to be safe.

• Like 4

The angel is out cruising the QT (treating with prazi), ate nutramar ova with gusto this morning.

Anyone else get stressed out when they have new fish? Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night to peak at the tank to make sure they are still alive. I swear each new fish probably raises my blood pressure the first month or two.

• Like 3

What kind of an angel is that and how big do they get? I've never seen one like that before.

I did a some research before the purchase... here is what I came up with:

It is a female bellus angel, Genicanthus bellus. They are open water swimmers and eat of the water column but snack on algae off the rocks too, one of the safest angels with coral as it is not part of their natural diet. They are listed as peaceful. There are exceptions to the rule and some ppl reported them eating coral or being bossy.

LA has them listed as up to 7" in the wild but in captivity they seem to get around 4-6 inches average. Everything I could find suggested they are very slow growers. They are hardy and the most common issue it decompression because they are from deep water around 150-300ft.

They are active swimmer and do need room to move around.

• Like 1

Explain the decompression. Like they don't make it because people don't acclimate correctly?

The people who catch them not acclimating them properly. For deep water fish, you want to be sure they are swimming correctly and not pointing their nose down, ect.

This video explains it better than I can :)

• Like 1

How did I miss this! Tank is looking great so far :).

I missed this as well!! Looking great, Tam!!

Thanks guys! I discover new threads every day and I'm like wtf where I been!

• Like 3

That's exactly what I thought when I found yours! :lol:

Same!!

Lovely tank Tam! That lined dartfish is so beautiful! And that rare goby too! :wub: Do you have any pics of the goby in your tank?

Omgsh that angel is the cutest. How do you find all these awesome fish??

• Like 2

Tux is settling in and finding many new hats.

28594326390_a9dec2cfed_c.jpg2016-08-09_04-36-56 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Same!!

Lovely tank Tam! That lined dartfish is so beautiful! And that rare goby too! :wub: Do you have any pics of the goby in your tank?

Omgsh that angel is the cutest. How do you find all these awesome fish??

Diver's Den mostly but that angel was from the LFS here. They seem to have really inexpensive fish.

No pic of the goby yet but he is getting braver, today he was out snatching food but when he saw me he darted into the rocks and was eyeballing me from his cave. He doesn't trust me yet.

I think he just needs time, my dartfish didn't come out for several months, then he would only snatch food and hide again for another month. I have had him awhile now though (maybe a year?) and now he is out all the time. He has a huge big fin but he was being a booger and wouldn't put it up for me when I had the camera out.

• Like 4

The angel is out cruising the QT (treating with prazi), ate nutramar ova with gusto this morning.

Anyone else get stressed out when they have new fish? Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night to peak at the tank to make sure they are still alive. I swear each new fish probably raises my blood pressure the first month or two.

This is totally me!

The tank looks great and I love the new angelfish :)

• Like 1

This is totally me!

The tank looks great and I love the new angelfish :)

Thanks, so far so good. I'm glad to know I am not the only one lol These fish go through a lot of stress but it stresses me out too!

• Like 1