Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Sorry about the BTA but the new one is sure pretty!! I bought here sets of foam guards for the mp40 when I was running it. I would swap them out twice a week. It made cleaning easier as i would clean then when I had time.

• Like 1

Sorry about the BTA but the new one is sure pretty!! I bought here sets of foam guards for the mp40 when I was running it. I would swap them out twice a week. It made cleaning easier as i would clean then when I had time.

Yup quoting myself. Darn phone. I bought three sets, not here sets.

Also the sponges also cut down on flow if not cleaned.

• Like 1

At one time, my 30 gallon tank was a mixed reef, but those days are over. Presently it is home to a surly YWG, some nuclear green palythoa, two photosynthetic gorgonian's and a bunch of BTAs. I started with one green bubble tip and something I can really only describe as a flame BTA. I now have nine green BTAs and two of the flame BTAs. A few of them have six or so inch discs and I am surprised they haven't split again.

Anyway, I have also lost one or two to the blades of my MP10. Usually once they have a good spot that they like, they will stay put. After they attach to something, I think it is better to leave power heads on so that they get used to the actual tank flow.

I have attached photos of my anemones. My cell phone really washes out the green colour of the green ones. They are green like in the second picture, with a nice pink tip on each tentacle.

2016-08-19%2017.18.03_zpsmwxunwk1.jpg2016-08-19%2017.20.39_zpsgxcz1dlr.jpg

• Like 3

I glued up a few frags, finally. Here are some monti caps, along with a blue plating sponge. I'm hoping the monti caps will grow together. There's also a tiny booger-sized frag of Idaho Grape monti cap but I think it might be STN'ing. You can just see it partially cut off on the right of this picture:

28345618356_38e4cbd53e_b.jpg20160717-untitled-020-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Where did you get the sponge ?

• Like 1

where in the tank is the BTA now? FTS time =P

Here's my super-lazy FTS taken with my cell phone from the chair in the family room :lol:

I'll get a better one this weekend.

29180359806_26c1e6009c_b.jpg20160824_204317.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Teeny. My ghost is very quiet and was that way from the start. All you can hear is a small, faint hissing sound. It also pulled a cupful of fairly thick green skimate the first week it was running. In light of these two good things I just mentioned, maybe they sent me a defective one Hahah.

Yeah, you definitely got a non-standard one :lol:

But ever since mine quieted down I've been really happy with it.

It looks Hungary to me.... Better feed it!

Done!

Yup quoting myself. Darn phone. I bought three sets, not here sets.

Also the sponges also cut down on flow if not cleaned.

Thanks! I used to keep sponges on my MP10 so I have some of those laying around. But I had to order some for the MP40.

I saw the same thing - flow was reduced, but not too bad. But you have to change them about twice a week.

On the other hand, the additional mechanical filtration is great as long as the sponges get changed on time.

At one time, my 30 gallon tank was a mixed reef, but those days are over. Presently it is home to a surly YWG, some nuclear green palythoa, two photosynthetic gorgonian's and a bunch of BTAs. I started with one green bubble tip and something I can really only describe as a flame BTA. I now have nine green BTAs and two of the flame BTAs. A few of them have six or so inch discs and I am surprised they haven't split again.

Anyway, I have also lost one or two to the blades of my MP10. Usually once they have a good spot that they like, they will stay put. After they attach to something, I think it is better to leave power heads on so that they get used to the actual tank flow.

I have attached photos of my anemones. My cell phone really washes out the green colour of the green ones. They are green like in the second picture, with a nice pink tip on each tentacle.

2016-08-19%2017.18.03_zpsmwxunwk1.jpg2016-08-19%2017.20.39_zpsgxcz1dlr.jpg

Wow, those are beautiful :wub: Thanks for sharing!

• Like 4

Where did you get the sponge ?

I got the blue sponge from fellow N-R member Zia. He originally got it from reefgardner.net. They don't show them on the website right now, though.

I don't have any frags right now but if you're interested I have a couple tiny ones growing out now.

Your coral beauty is so nice! I saw 5 at the lfs but none had as much orange as yours.

Thanks! I found it on Divers Den and I was really impressed with the colors :)

• Like 1

Sadly, the sponges are not doing very well. The blue sponge has turned dark purple, and the red sponge has also turned sort of purple. I think this is because they need more light. When I had my blue sponge in a shaded spot in the 4g tank right after I got it, it turned dark purple, and then turned bright blue again when it grew into the light.

I've increased the lighting on the QuadW a bit, and I think I will move it more towards the back of the tank. PAR at the back of the tank is not as high as PAR at the front, so that may be part of the problem.

Here's what they look like now:

29107279162_8a9bec4e28_b.jpg20160823-untitled-012.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

On the bright side, the RBTA seems to be doing well. He moved up a little higher, out of the crevice I put him in, into a new crevice. And he's attached himself to a rock at the top of the foot, too.

29180397276_2bfb13a8ae_b.jpg20160824-untitled-002.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

Thanks! I used to keep sponges on my MP10 so I have some of those laying around. But I had to order some for the MP40.

I saw the same thing - flow was reduced, but not too bad. But you have to change them about twice a week.

On the other hand, the additional mechanical filtration is great as long as the sponges get changed on time.

Wow, those are beautiful :wub: Thanks for sharing!

I find that the filter sponges sold near me are far too dear to be replacing them once or twice a week. The only place I have found them is a store online has them for $17.99 for three. I actually use some filter floss and hold it on with an elastic. Its not pretty but it really works.

Thank you. I am really fond of them, especially the red ones. The smaller ones will form bubble tips but only if they move someplace with less flow. The aquarium is an old ugly 30 gallon breeder with rims and a cross brace. I think it is pretty ugly so I have been considering going to a IM10 but I have no idea what I would do with these anemones. They would take up the whole tank!

• Like 1

Looking great, teeny!!! I like your lazy fts!! I couldn't keep my red sponge alive for whatever reason. I also just about killed the purple plating I had gotten from Zia so I bought some from Felicia Thinking it was done for and now I see it coming back where it had turned white and disintegrated! I can't wait to see how your red does.

• Like 1

sooo....Roger is getting rid of some of his BTAs so I will be getting one this weekend =P. Hope I can get mine to stay in one spot. After reading your recent posts, I found a nice spot with a crevice for it. And if it stays there, it wouldn't sting other corals.

• Like 4

I got the blue sponge from fellow N-R member Zia. He originally got it from reefgardner.net. They don't show them on the website right now, though.

I don't have any frags right now but if you're interested I have a couple tiny ones growing out now.

Thanks! I found it on Divers Den and I was really impressed with the colors :)

I would absolutely love some when it is availabke

• Like 1

I have a couple of pieces of the same sponge if you are in a hurry. It does really like very bright light to keep its color.

• Like 1

Your coral beauty is so nice! I saw 5 at the lfs but none had as much orange as yours.

You want one from Fiji if you like them super orange. The ones out of Indo and The Philippines are a lot darker.

• Like 1

That's looking like it's attached! Whoop whoop!

It's still attached tonight, too! I still don't have foam guards, but I've turned on the pumps occasionally and let them run for about 30-60 minutes at a time. Under close supervision of course. I'm hoping that he'll get used to occasional changes in flow. Once I get the foam guards, I'm going to start the pumps at a lower level and ramp them up day by day. Just like light acclimating corals :)

I find that the filter sponges sold near me are far too dear to be replacing them once or twice a week. The only place I have found them is a store online has them for $17.99 for three. I actually use some filter floss and hold it on with an elastic. Its not pretty but it really works.

Thank you. I am really fond of them, especially the red ones. The smaller ones will form bubble tips but only if they move someplace with less flow. The aquarium is an old ugly 30 gallon breeder with rims and a cross brace. I think it is pretty ugly so I have been considering going to a IM10 but I have no idea what I would do with these anemones. They would take up the whole tank!

Oops, what I meant was "replace them with the spares so I can wash them". There's no way I could afford to buy new ones all the time. When I was running the foam on my MP10 in my other tank, I was able to make the foam guards last for at least a year just by gently rinsing them out and letting them air dry.

I've already seen the same thing with the bubble tips. If I turn all the pumps off, the RBTA slowly shrinks up and gets bubbles. Once the flow gets going again, the tentacles get long with no bubbles.

Looking great, teeny!!! I like your lazy fts!! I couldn't keep my red sponge alive for whatever reason. I also just about killed the purple plating I had gotten from Zia so I bought some from Felicia Thinking it was done for and now I see it coming back where it had turned white and disintegrated! I can't wait to see how your red does.

I took a closer look at the sponges, and I have more problems than just lost color. "Well there's your problem..." :huh: Arrgh. I trimmed off a piece of the red sponge and put it in the frag tank so I can preserve it. The blue sponge is just as bad, but I have plenty of blue sponge in my other tanks.

28616585363_c43b2b8fce_b.jpg20160825_184156.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

From what I've seen with my blue sponge, they should grow back eventually from little pieces of tissue stuck to the rocks. Only the portion that has plated out seems to degenerate.

• Like 1

sooo....Roger is getting rid of some of his BTAs so I will be getting one this weekend =P. Hope I can get mine to stay in one spot. After reading your recent posts, I found a nice spot with a crevice for it. And if it stays there, it wouldn't sting other corals.

Good luck! So far from what I can tell, when it says "medium flow" in the articles I've found, that translates to "low flow" in my tank.

My urchin ate my foam guard :P

:lol: That cracks me up! I hope mine don't get any ideas!

I have a couple of pieces of the same sponge if you are in a hurry. It does really like very bright light to keep its color.

I'd be happy to share but it will be a while, especially since I just found out mine is disintegrating right now, so I'd take Slowtwitch up on his offer.

• Like 2

You started this thread when I was in my anti-reefing mood.

I just read the whole thing and all I can say is WOW!

Well done! It's beautiful so far.

Wow, thanks Roger! That means a lot coming from you with your tank. Even though it's going through a down spell right now I know you will have it looking fantastic again very soon :)

You want one from Fiji if you like them super orange. The ones out of Indo and The Philippines are a lot darker.

I can't remember for sure, but I think mine was from Fiji (from Divers Den). They offer both in the regular section, which is nice.

Your not so teeny tank is looking terrific! I like your lazy FTS btw.

Thanks! I may do more of those cause it was really easy compared to getting out the camera tripod and taking a hundred pictures hoping for all the fish to come out at the same time :D

• Like 1

It's still attached tonight, too! I still don't have foam guards, but I've turned on the pumps occasionally and let them run for about 30-60 minutes at a time. Under close supervision of course. I'm hoping that he'll get used to occasional changes in flow. Once I get the foam guards, I'm going to start the pumps at a lower level and ramp them up day by day. Just like light acclimating corals :)

Oops, what I meant was "replace them with the spares so I can wash them". There's no way I could afford to buy new ones all the time. When I was running the foam on my MP10 in my other tank, I was able to make the foam guards last for at least a year just by gently rinsing them out and letting them air dry.

I've already seen the same thing with the bubble tips. If I turn all the pumps off, the RBTA slowly shrinks up and gets bubbles. Once the flow gets going again, the tentacles get long with no bubbles.

I took a closer look at the sponges, and I have more problems than just lost color. "Well there's your problem..." :huh: Arrgh. I trimmed off a piece of the red sponge and put it in the frag tank so I can preserve it. The blue sponge is just as bad, but I have plenty of blue sponge in my other tanks.

28616585363_c43b2b8fce_b.jpg20160825_184156.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

From what I've seen with my blue sponge, they should grow back eventually from little pieces of tissue stuck to the rocks. Only the portion that has plated out seems to degenerate.

My blue sponge did this once in my bare bottom tank. Someone (Ben? Felicia?) told be that it "might" be from a lack of silicates in the water. It did eventually bounce back and is growing like a champ now.

• Like 2

Hey teeny,

I see you are running 2 MP's in there. Wow.. I have a WAV which I cannot run much past 75% without pissing off my hammers. Are you running yours max or do you have 2 because it enhances the wave effect?

• Like 1

It's still attached tonight, too! I still don't have foam guards, but I've turned on the pumps occasionally and let them run for about 30-60 minutes at a time. Under close supervision of course. I'm hoping that he'll get used to occasional changes in flow. Once I get the foam guards, I'm going to start the pumps at a lower level and ramp them up day by day. Just like light acclimating corals :)Oops, what I meant was "replace them with the spares so I can wash them". There's no way I could afford to buy new ones all the time. When I was running the foam on my MP10 in my other tank, I was able to make the foam guards last for at least a year just by gently rinsing them out and letting them air dry. I've already seen the same thing with the bubble tips. If I turn all the pumps off, the RBTA slowly shrinks up and gets bubbles. Once the flow gets going again, the tentacles get long with no bubbles.I took a closer look at the sponges, and I have more problems than just lost color. "Well there's your problem..." :huh: Arrgh. I trimmed off a piece of the red sponge and put it in the frag tank so I can preserve it. The blue sponge is just as bad, but I have plenty of blue sponge in my other tanks. 28616585363_c43b2b8fce_b.jpg20160825_184156.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr From what I've seen with my blue sponge, they should grow back eventually from little pieces of tissue stuck to the rocks. Only the portion that has plated out seems to degenerate.

That's what mine did!! They grew well in my biocube but didn't do well at all in my 66 for the first three or four months. I'm having better luck now!

My blue sponge did this once in my bare bottom tank. Someone (Ben? Felicia?) told be that it "might" be from a lack of silicates in the water. It did eventually bounce back and is growing like a champ now.

good point! I actually started dosing silicates and that may be why mine is coming back!
  • Like 2