Top Shelf Aquatics

Surprise Attack! Trying Something New!

Marc.The.Shark

Marc.The.Shark

Very nice, can't wait to see you put this together. I bought parts to do one but never get around to it :(

Didn't even contact you about making these, they only want $17 for them. Know u couldn't do it for that :( lol

• Like 1

Didn't even contact you about making these, they only want $17 for them. Know u couldn't do it for that :( lol

No big deal, save money when you can :). It looks like simple square cuts...good deal though.

• 2 weeks later...
Marc.The.Shark

My tank will be ready Monday!! Going to pick it up Tues. I better get working on my light, had to order a couple of things & Ben helped me out with being able to control the fans with the Bluefish. Got all that stuff & had my buddy use the Bridgeport to mill out some of my heatsink fins for mounting purposes. Think I'll work on it some tonight & post a few pics later. A lot of work yet to do, but have most of the plumbing, pumps, etc, to get a rock solid start when the tank gets here.

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

Made some progress on my light, got the heatsink all drilled & tapped for the V3's...

post-12858-0-85831900-1439247394_thumb.jpg

Got the acrylic base that the heatsink attaches to, glued to the 1/2" clear acrylic splash guard. Also polished the edges.

post-12858-0-21365400-1439247586_thumb.jpg

Drilled holes in the top for 2 fans & exhaust ports.

post-12858-0-69579200-1439247665_thumb.jpg

Small hiccup. Received my SCW adapter from O2 to control my fans with the Bluefish and didn't realize that it plugs into a LDD slot, then the SCW into that. This currently makes it too high to fit in my light housing. Brainstorming a solution, but may just have to use it seperate of the LDD board & solder some wires directly to the adapter?!?!

post-12858-0-54010600-1439248153_thumb.jpg

Pick up my tank tomorrow!!!!

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

Picked up my tank today!! 36x12x10, Starphire 3/8" all 4 sides. Two 1" overflows center back wall. Fits the stand well. Now the work begins!!

post-12858-0-71053100-1439331797_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Picked up my tank today!! 36x12x10, Starphire 3/8" all 4 sides. Two 1" overflows center back wall. Fits the stand well. Now the work begins!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Two 1" Overflows.... but no returns? I don't understand!

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Two 1" Overflows.... but no returns? I don't understand!

OH SHIT!!! I knew I was forgetting something! Lol.

Using 1/2" CPVC over the rim returns, 4 of them across the back. The middle 2 will be behind my rockwork and the other 2 in the corners, should still look pretty clean. Didn't want all those bulkheads showing in the tank & the CPVC is less intrusive. I'll alternate 2 at a time with a SCWD.

You'll have some flexibility to move your returns if you go with over the tops too if your going to rely solely on them for flow. Bulkheads are a lot less flexible if your rock scape ends up in front of one of them.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

You'll have some flexibility to move your returns if you go with over the tops too if your going to rely solely on them for flow. Bulkheads are a lot less flexible if your rock scape ends up in front of one of them.

Yeah, I use the CPVC in my current tank & like it a lot, just use an adapter back to regular schedule 40 or flexible tubing in the stand. Have to paint the lines, but not that big of a deal. Then I cement the locline directly to the CPVC, fits perfect & don't need the locline adapter.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice work so far Marc. Love the dimensions of that tank.

Marc.The.Shark

Nice work so far Marc. Love the dimensions of that tank.

Thanks man, came out really well, exactly what I was looking for. Makes the tank look bigger than it really is cause it fits exact dimensions of the stand minus the 3/4" trim. Plus the 3/8" glass gives it a very bulky look of a bigger tank.

Thanks man, came out really well, exactly what I was looking for. Makes the tank look bigger than it really is cause it fits exact dimensions of the stand minus the 3/4" trim. Plus the 3/8" glass gives it a very bulky look of a bigger tank.

Yeah I love it!!! Made me wish I can have one of these built locally, how much did you pay? curious if it was cheaper than Mr Aqua 22L low iron. Saving up for one.

Marc.The.Shark

Yeah I love it!!! Made me wish I can have one of these built locally, how much did you pay? curious if it was cheaper than Mr Aqua 22L low iron. Saving up for one.

Bout the same price, $300, plus the cost of drilling the 2 holes (didn't want to do it myself & screw it up, plus I woulda had to buy the glass hole saw anyway. He charged me $15 bucks a hole.) so the total was $330 for Starphire 3/8". Pretty fair I think.

• Like 1

Bout the same price, $300, plus the cost of drilling the 2 holes (didn't want to do it myself & screw it up, plus I woulda had to buy the glass hole saw anyway. He charged me $15 bucks a hole.) so the total was $330 for Starphire 3/8". Pretty fair I think.

Nice but what about holes for returns? or did you have other plan for that?

Marc.The.Shark

^^look back up a few posts, I explained how I'll do the returns.

Edit: Here's a rough sketch (disregard all the measurements on the drawing, I'm not good with that crap & didn't know how to delete the #'s)

post-12858-0-92179900-1439485959_thumb.jpg

Marc.The.Shark

Got my light about 90% complete. Finished cementing the acrylic shroud around the heatsink, got all the connections to the Bluefish done & fired it up! Daves boards are awesome! I only peeled back half of the protective paper on the 1/2" acrylic splash guard, but everything works perfect, except for the fan control. Tried to wire directly to O2's SCW board & while I got it to work with the bluefish, it would only work in steps from 97% - 100% with Bluefish control & sounded kind of wanky. I'll revisit that in a few days, but have a backup plan if it's a no go. Also can't decide if I want to cover the fan exhaust holes with black or aluminum screen? The silver color would be a little contrast to the black casing. IDK. Here are a few pics.....

post-12858-0-41165800-1439523193_thumb.jpg

post-12858-0-79226300-1439523236_thumb.jpg

post-12858-0-82927100-1439523277_thumb.jpg

post-12858-0-64472400-1439523310_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Thanks man! Only squirted WeldOn on myself 3 or 4 times! Lol. Don't have your skillz, thats for sure! Glad its all 90 degree angles! Lol

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Finished the light, details in my light build thread (link in my sig). Have to take it apart one more time & add some diffuser material to the inside splash shield.

post-12858-0-49772200-1440015816_thumb.jpg

Now on to the tank plumbing. Not sure if I need a mat underneath the tank or not. 3/8" glass was a little overkill so maybe I can get away without it? Any suggestions?

Also ordered a Marine Color dosing pump. Debated on a Bubble Magus, but decided to give this a try after reading positive reviews on it & good customer service. I wanted 3 heads with controls on the front, so we'll see if it holds up. If not I'll just sell it to Harry! Lol

post-12858-0-09940100-1440016102_thumb.jpg

That's about it until I start the plumbing prob this weekend; appreciate any feedback on the mat under the tank

• Like 1

Always wise to put something under a tank (foam mat/polystyrene etc) as it will prevent the glass being loaded if the base isn't 100% level or a bit of grit gets between the tank and the base as you put it down.

A friend of mine is using the same doser and is very happy with it.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Ok, thanks Benny. Homedepot sells a tool box mat that will work. I have used it before in my tool box, nice and heavyweight, not cheapy. Good to know on the doser, Ive read some write ups & reviews and all good. Figured for $100 I'd try it. Wasn't gonna buy a Jebao, too many bad reviews. Plus I'll use 2 heads & wanted a spare plus the controls on the front.

Marc.The.Shark

Well, because of space issues with my return pump, I'm going to have to leave out one of the baffles on the MrReefer sump kit to accommodate a bigger fuge area. Not that big of a deal, it's how I run my current sump, just an over & under bubble trap. A lot of commercial sumps are made this way, Trigger being one & I patterned my current cube sump from theirs. The Jebao return pump was quite a bit larger than I thought, even tho I had the dimensions! Lol. Oh well, I wanted something oversized & controllable & the DCT6000 has 10 flow levels & soft start.

post-12858-0-42903700-1440091658_thumb.jpg

• Like 1