Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' custom 150

Chris!

Did'nt realize you had a separate thread up on this beastly aquarium. Caught up in here now. Great camera tips too! Definitely appreciated seeing all those great kandy pics. You have some cherry pieces you're hoarding over there!

16135368579_55f6da7a93_z.jpg

Look's like you super glued him to the scape this way :lol:

• Like 3

Did'nt realize you had a separate thread up on this beastly aquarium. Caught up in here now. Great camera tips too!

I'm glad you found it bro :) Its a tank of a tank for sure lol Yeah the guys definitely had some good tips, I think they worked out pretty good so far, just gotta work on my skills still lol

Definitely appreciated seeing all those great kandy pics. You have some cherry pieces your hoarding over there!

Thanks Z! If see anything you want let me know I have extra pieces of most of them so I can set aside whatever for whenever you have some time to wait for a box bro! :)

Look's like you super glued him to the scape this way :lol:

Who said I didn't?? :lol: He is always pecking the rocks to help keep things nice and clean! Finally ate for the 1st time that I saw yesterday, but he must be finding something in the films on the rock/glass because he is maintaining his size and healthy for sure :)

Thanks Z! If see anything you want let me know I have extra pieces of most of them so I can set aside whatever for whenever you have some time to wait for a box bro! :)

Noted! :)

Who said I didn't?? :lol: He is always pecking the rocks to help keep things nice and clean! Finally ate for the 1st time that I saw yesterday, but he must be finding something in the films on the rock/glass because he is maintaining his size and healthy for sure :)

Man i miss my tangs. Just their utilitarian ways of indiscriminately destroying algae! Made them one of my all time favorite fish. Looking forward to seeing some wrasses in there at some point.

• Like 1

Noted! :)

;) lol

Man i miss my tangs. Just their utilitarian ways of indiscriminately destroying algae! Made them one of my all time favorite fish. Looking forward to seeing some wrasses in there at some point.

Tangs are definitely bad ass algae eaters, but the mollies are pretty solid herbivores as well. :)

There will definitely be some wrasses in the future, well besides the yellow coris that is in there now. I'm hoping to get my hands on a few of the more delicate/ uncommonly seen leopards when the time comes but its going to be a while before I pull that trigger, and may not even be this year before I do.... I want everything totally solid and the wife to decide for sure if we are going to move or stay, she keeps going back and forth. :wacko:

• Like 1

Yea, I seen you acclimated some Mollies over to sw. Didn't see that coming. Considering your appreciation for such exotic sw fish. But pretty neat. I'd like to see how they fit in long term with the rest of the final crew. Whomever that will be. Some hot wrasses I know.

I feel your wife on the whole can't make up her mind on the moving thing. I too have been indecisive on that front. But I'm getting closer to deciding and see alot more sand and sun again in my future. Good luck on your end. Atleast if you move now while the boy's are young. They won't skip a beat. Just another adventure to them. Not really uprooting them from too much. Schooling, long term friends and such.

• Like 1

Yea, I seen you acclimated some Mollies over to sw. Didn't see that coming. Considering your appreciation for such exotic sw fish. But pretty neat. I'd like to see how they fit in long term with the rest of the final crew. Whomever that will be. Some hot wrasses I know.

Thats the beauty of the black mollies, you don't even notice they are there really. I did grab a couple "orangecicle" ones the male met the MP40, but the female is usually out and grazes all day while the blacks lay low during the light period for the most part but she has a fancy tail and decent markings so I don't really mind. Once its all said n done tho I doubt she will even be very noticeable if it all works as planned, at one time I was around 120 fish on the proposed possibility list. Obviously it will get trimmed down but I wouldn't be surprised if there are around 40-60 in the end....

I feel your wife on the whole can't make up her mind on the moving thing. I too have been indecisive on that front. But I'm getting closer to deciding and see alot more sand and sun again in my future. Good luck on your end. Atleast if you move now while the boy's are young. They won't skip a beat. Just another adventure to them. Not really uprooting them from too much. Schooling, long term friends and such.

Yeah she is so indecisive.... she told me she wanted to move, then went and signed up for an expedited nursing program that takes 9-12 months to get her certificate or whatever a couple days later lol There really just isn't enough room here for us to stay that long anyway so we are considering moving a couple towns over... They are the #14 ranked school district in the state, and have always had pretty solid athletic programs as well which are both important to me. I don't plan on forcing them to play sports by any means but I want the opportunities to be there for them if they choose to. The oldest has 2 yrs before he starts actual school so we have some time to get it all sorted out. Where we are looking at is also home to the hospital the Mrs. would ideally work at after she is done with the program too if we stay around here. And I can be cooler then shit on a stick anywhere :lol:

More sun and sand then where your at? I thought where you were already had alot of both.... Where you thinking about movin, West Coast?? :)

• Like 1

Im glad you're enjoying the D3100. I was torn between that and a gopro. It's a great camera and Nikon is a good company to support.

Have a good one, bud.

• Like 1

Im glad you're enjoying the D3100. I was torn between that and a gopro. It's a great camera and Nikon is a good company to support.

Have a good one, bud.

Yeah I really like the D3100, its a nice camera. Its not the best, but it does a damn good job especially if you have the skill to use it..... I'm still working on that part LOL

I do wanna try a gopro at some point, just because I heard you can submerge them :wacko:

How did I miss the new thread?

You did, I coulda swore you were here before...... either way ya found it now so welcome :) lol

NorthGaHillbilly

Hey man, got a question for ya. Ive got the RO set up off of an outside spicket, after the regulator. I was looking at the regulator and its got about 2" of the old grey semi rigid hose before the regulator, its copper below that. Any kind of screw on fitting that would pierce the grey hose and let me tap in before the regulator? I know the self piercing valves exist, but is it ok to use on those old style plastic pipes. Its the stuff with the metal pressure collars on the connection points.

Edit: the main valve for the house is below the grey piece, so I obviously dont want to go below that

Hey man, got a question for ya. Ive got the RO set up off of an outside spicket, after the regulator. I was looking at the regulator and its got about 2" of the old grey semi rigid hose before the regulator, its copper below that. Any kind of screw on fitting that would pierce the grey hose and let me tap in before the regulator? I know the self piercing valves exist, but is it ok to use on those old style plastic pipes. Its the stuff with the metal pressure collars on the connection points.

Edit: the main valve for the house is below the grey piece, so I obviously dont want to go below that

water sav

Shoot me a pic if you can man so I can see what your working with..... I think from what your describing the self piercing valves would be fine but I don't wanna say yes and it not lol

If you have the hose adapter already I prefer to plumb them into their own line with a spigot connection and shut off valve. If you ever take the system off line (to either change locations, or if you move, etc.) you have to leave the self piercing valve behind, or cut and patch the plumbing if not.... if its got a line of its own with a shut off you can just shut it off unhook it and be on your way :)

I don't really see a benefit to tapping in before the regulator tho, you want to cap your pressure at 65 psi, and if your before the regulator who knows what it could be.... personally my house is set at 45 psi (I've removed all the bs water saving crap from faucets and the pressure is perfectly fine....), and I have a booster pump that brings my tanks RO/DI up to 65.

• Like 1
NorthGaHillbilly

water sav

Shoot me a pic if you can man so I can see what your working with..... I think from what your describing the self piercing valves would be fine but I don't wanna say yes and it not lol

If you have the hose adapter already I prefer to plumb them into their own line with a spigot connection and shut off valve. If you ever take the system off line (to either change locations, or if you move, etc.) you have to leave the self piercing valve behind, or cut and patch the plumbing if not.... if its got a line of its own with a shut off you can just shut it off unhook it and be on your way :)

I don't really see a benefit to tapping in before the regulator tho, you want to cap your pressure at 65 psi, and if your before the regulator who knows what it could be.... personally my house is set at 45 psi (I've removed all the bs water saving crap from faucets and the pressure is perfectly fine....), and I have a booster pump that brings my tanks RO/DI up to 65.

Got ya, from what you said, and what I have been reading it looks like Im fine with it as is. I upped the house pressure to 60, and the RO is around 50. I was thinking it was good to get an ro up around 80-100, which i could get from street level, but its looking like 60 is going to be fine.

How old is the new dog again? Shes HUGE!

• Like 1

Got ya, from what you said, and what I have been reading it looks like Im fine with it as is. I upped the house pressure to 60, and the RO is around 50. I was thinking it was good to get an ro up around 80-100, which i could get from street level, but its looking like 60 is going to be fine.

You should be ok, 50 will take a little longer then 65 would to make the same amount of water obviously but if you get enough water in the time it takes to make it and it stays of good quality I wouldn't worry much personally.

How old is the new dog again? Shes HUGE!

She is 7.5 months lol

Your booster only brings it to 65? Crank dat bitch up :)

From AWI- Remember do not exceed (75) pounds of inlet pressure....... Also the housings state not to exceed 75psi.

I set it to 65 because sometimes it fluctuates and will run a little higher (70) so I play it safe at 65. I have no problem making plenty of water rapidly (and keep 2x32g rubbermaids on hand of RO/DI) and my filters last over a yr before showing any signs of tds.... So what would the point be in cranking it up further? I've also read 65psi was ideal....

jedimasterben

From AWI- Remember do not exceed (75) pounds of inlet pressure....... Also the housings state not to exceed 75psi.

I set it to 65 because sometimes it fluctuates and will run a little higher (70) so I play it safe at 65. I have no problem making plenty of water rapidly (and keep 2x32g rubbermaids on hand of RO/DI) and my filters last over a yr before showing any signs of tds.... So what would the point be in cranking it up further? I've also read 65psi was ideal....

Not sure what AWI is, but Dow Filmtec membranes are rated for 150 PSI, and housings are rated for well over 100. http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0920/0901b80380920592.pdf?filepath=liquidseps/pdfs/noreg/609-50165.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

40PSI is the absolute bare minimum, 50PSI is what they're rated at, and 85-100 is the easily attainable 'best'.

Wow! This tank is gorgeous! Looks like it was super well made. I really like the design. Thanks for directing me over here, Chris.

That's cool that you are using mollies as a CUC. That's definitely unique and not something I would have thought of. How hard is it to adjust them over to SW? I get so sick of snails, so that's such a cool alternative, although I bet its more feasible in a big tank like that where you can have a much larger bioload.

I like the most recent photos. Definitely looks like you're on an LPS kick lately. I love that bowerbanki and the acans. I also really like that kole tang. His yellow eye sure pops in those photos. He looks fat and happy :)

• Like 1

Not sure what AWI is

Air Water n Ice

, but Dow Filmtec membranes are rated for 150 PSI, and housings are rated for well over 100. http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0920/0901b80380920592.pdf?filepath=liquidseps/pdfs/noreg/609-50165.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

40PSI is the absolute bare minimum, 50PSI is what they're rated at, and 85-100 is the easily attainable 'best'.

The pressure gauge on my unit goes up to 100psi. The one on my booster pump goes to 300..... That said I had it at 75-80psi when I was trying to get the booster pump set up and could hear like a air leak kinda noise. :wacko:

Wow! This tank is gorgeous! Looks like it was super well made. I really like the design. Thanks for directing me over here, Chris.

Thanks Felicia! Miracles definitely did an amazing job, I told them exactly what I wanted and they made it a gorgeous reality :)

That's cool that you are using mollies as a CUC. That's definitely unique and not something I would have thought of. How hard is it to adjust them over to SW? I get so sick of snails, so that's such a cool alternative, although I bet its more feasible in a big tank like that where you can have a much larger bioload.

I'm not big on snails either, I need to get some nassarius but other then that I've never had more then 15 snails, even in my 180. The mollies do a great job IMO tho not the coolest fish around they do add a little movement if you get the colored ones.... or you can get the blacks and they blend in. They also breed in the tank and provide free food! I don't think a couple would be a huge impact bioload wise, and and IMO are worth it for their desire to chow down on algae. I usually spend a day acclimating them with a 16 oz party cup, and a 5g bucket..... but you can switch them right over and usually don't have a problem.

I like the most recent photos. Definitely looks like you're on an LPS kick lately. I love that bowerbanki and the acans. I also really like that kole tang. His yellow eye sure pops in those photos. He looks fat and happy :)

Thanks! Yeah I have definitely been on a LPS kick. Lifes been crazy lately so I slowed down for a bit, but once I get back going again I will likely start hunting for mostly sps and possible some NPS.... and a few more fish :lol:

Couple pics I shot today...

15745411694_2cece26083_z.jpg

16181636959_c5b8fffd6c_z.jpg

Its hard to capture but the body on this one has a good bit of red in it that shows more under 14k or lower lighting.

16367842835_a6e10287c0_z.jpg

• Like 3

Worked on a little more shooting:

15780211373_94fbc8f74d_z.jpg

15777781354_5d54dbcac8_z.jpg

16399331342_3ceaf39119_z.jpg

16212605268_25991849a5_z.jpg

And for fun I decided to do a comparative of color variations due to lighting....

Whites only (sorry didn't realize it was kinda out of focus, but you get the idea):

16398498821_9217d9ff18_z.jpg

Blues (roughly 14-15k w/ flash):

16214016899_ab3320f277_z.jpg

• Like 2

That 1st pic is awesome- great focus and colors- what tank are all these in....your 150?

Thanks man. These are all downstairs frag tank shots of extra pieces I have. I've got them all in the DT as well already, but kids go to bed at 9 and lights go off at 9 so its easier to focus on getting shots down there anyway where the lights stay on later. + I can get just a few inches away to get some nice macros. :)

All my shots that have black in the background are from the frag tank and generally will be extra pieces I have. ;)

• Like 1