Cultivated Reef

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

For lights, you might want to build your own. Check rapidled.com. you can get a dimmable 9-LED solderless fuge kit for $65 plus a 12" heat sink for $9.

Thanks lecroj! Are LED's themselves not that expensive? Cree LED seems to be the most popular.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to see what you come up with man!

Thanks dude! I'm gonna do some water testing today and possibly another WC to get my nitrates back down if need be. I'm starting to see more microfauna in my tank again since I replaced my filter media and such.

All my critters seem to be more happy, as well! My mini-conchs (Columbellid sp.) are breeding and laying eggs, and I hope to have more running around the tank, as long as Gemma stops eating the egg sacs!

And like I said, I'm setting a goal to have at least one frag by the end of the month; hopefully a Hammer/Torch/Frogspawn. B)

Excited to see the tank! :) as far as my light, I'm very happy with it. When I first got it I was worried it wouldn't give off enough light but it actually started to bleach some of my corals so I had to turn it down quite a bit. Its not the best light for everything in the reef world but it will definitely be good enough for softies and LPS and from what I've heard and my very minimal experience (I have only had the SPS in my tank for a little bit but seems fine) it will work with some SPS as well also nanoclown had some SPS in his tank that did awesome and he also has the Current USA Orbit fixture. Another plus to the light is it is fully customizable and that was one of the main reasons I went with it. But then again take a look at Kijho's tank! He's got the par 38 and everything in his tank is doing really well with it. Either way, I think both options would be good.

Evan, I like your choice for a coral. I love my hammer, torch and frogspawn. You can't go wrong with any of them if you like to see movement in your tank. In my opinion, torches are a little trickier than the other two so if you want a hardier coral I'd go for frogspawn. Mine is indestructible.

My torch has been my best coral so far I think.

Hammer started amazing but for unknown reason shrunk so small.. still alive though.

Frogspawn died in less than a week - think it was just bad from the LFS to begin with :(

Yeah I remember that about your Frogspawn :( everyone seems to have different experiences with each one... There's really no telling what to expect in my tank I suppose! I'm about to go to my LFS and pick up a shrimp or something.

I've been waiting for this job I interviewed for, to call me back. I even left word with them yesterday, and still no answer. I'm getting down in the dumps about it...

Funny enough!! My torch has grown and now reaches/ touches my acans.....

My acans response? Grow some more LOL. Doesn't seem to be bothered at all!!

I think acans (any brain corals) are the most badass corals out there. One of my SPS frags fell on an acan, and the acan totally killed off two branches overnight.

Archived