Pod Your Reef

Merth's 3g Grass-covered hills

Merthynia

Sk8n Reefer

25775152791_e1efc8befe_k.jpg

Everyone is out and about tonight I guess :lol:

Thanks! One of these days I'll buy a card reader for my DLSR and maybe take non-potato pictures! :lol:

Absolutely! That's a must! ? What type of lens do you have for it? Non- potato?
  • Like 2

Merth, your tank looks really great! I love your coral, i love your shrimp and i love your fish!

Thank you Dawn! :) There has been a party going on in the mushroom corner this evening for sure! :lol:

I love my hammer but it keeps converting from tiny to too big :)

I think you had just a single head to begin with right? It's probably because you have such a gourmet feast for everything in the tank, it can't help but grow quickly! ;)

Absolutely! That's a must! What type of lens do you have for it? Non- potato

Currently just a stock lens, it has been awhile since I've used it to be completely honest. I've chatted with my mom about getting a nice macro set-up and she is agreeable to the idea after graduation. You'd think since she is a photographer I'd spend more time making better pictures. :unsure:

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

Thank you Dawn! :) There has been a party going on in the mushroom corner this evening for sure! :lol:

I think you had just a single head to begin with right? It's probably because you have such a gourmet feast for everything in the tank, it can't help but grow quickly! ;)

Currently just a stock lens, it has been awhile since I've used it to be completely honest. I've chatted with my mom about getting a nice macro set-up and she is agreeable to the idea after graduation. You'd think since she is a photographer I'd spend more time making better pictures. :unsure:

Well there ya go- has she taken any pics of your tank? Macro's are the shizz for sure so fun to see the detail.

• Like 1

Yes, I started with a single head. I fragged it and now I have a double head in both tanks :)

I used to think a macro lens was really important. But now that I've had mine for a while, I find myself using the stock lens more and more. I can use it handheld, and if I use a tripod and crop the picture tightly, I can get pretty good closeups. Since I have to use a tripod no matter what with the macro, I don't mind just using the stock lens with the tripod.

• Like 1

Well there ya go- has she taken any pics of your tank? Macro's are the shizz for sure so fun to see the detail.

She did when I had my very first salt tank. It wasn't very stocked or pretty, but there are some pretty cool pictures somewhere of my hermit crabs and fish at the time.

Yes, I started with a single head. I fragged it and now I have a double head in both tanks :)

I used to think a macro lens was really important. But now that I've had mine for a while, I find myself using the stock lens more and more. I can use it handheld, and if I use a tripod and crop the picture tightly, I can get pretty good closeups. Since I have to use a tripod no matter what with the macro, I don't mind just using the stock lens with the tripod.

I'm not sure what to do with the coral that are getting too big for the tanks. My duncan keeps half killing things then I move it again away from stuff. It's been banished to the corner of the 10. I personally want the macro so I have the use of both the stock and macro lenses. Eventually I'd like a couple really nice pictures to hang up around my house of some of the coral or inhabitants. A tripod would certainly be helpful, I currently don't have one (just a box!). :lol:

• Like 2

Merthy, you have the fattest UFO shaped CandyCanes I've ever seen. They're perfectly shaped. :happy:

Thanks! They munch food like little pigs when I feed them. Although I think the small tank may be a little deceiving, they are probably only slightly over an inch in diameter, so not too big. But they sure are plump for their size!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

What's the latest on your tank Merth?

It has been a crazy whirlwind of the past month or so. I actually got all moved back to Nebraska, did 3 interviews, got a job offer, went apartment hunting and I'm still getting a few odds and ends caught up before graduation next week! The tanks are currently here with me at my parents house, both are bare bottom. All of the inverts and fish made the trip just fine, but I have lost some of the sps. :(

• Like 1

Welcome back and congratulations on all the awesome life changes!

Thanks Teeny! I hope to get back on track with posting lots of pictures and new things once I get into an apartment and get things moved over! It's so exciting! I just can't believe I'm finally graduating.

• Like 2

Thanks Teeny! I hope to get back on track with posting lots of pictures and new things once I get into an apartment and get things moved over! It's so exciting! I just can't believe I'm finally graduating.

Congratulations!!!! Such an exciting time for you :).
  • Like 1
teenyreef

Thank you! I sure hope so! :lol:

Don't worry, you'll make more money than ever before, and have less of it left over after reefing expenses than ever before :lol:

• Like 2
Merthynia

Don't worry, you'll make more money than ever before, and have less of it left over after reefing expenses than ever before :lol:

I don't doubt this statement at all. My mother asked what I was going to do with my first paycheck. I told her I needed another ATO! :lol:

• Like 3
teenyreef

I don't doubt this statement at all. My mother asked what I was going to do with my first paycheck. I told her I needed another ATO! :lol:

The most disposable income I ever had in my life was when I delivered pizza for Domino's. Now I make like ten times as much but have far less spending money :P

• Like 3
Merthynia

The most disposable income I ever had in my life was when I delivered pizza for Domino's. Now I make like ten times as much but have far less spending money :P

Hopefully I have most of my expenses planned out. I will have some spending money, but not crazy amounts! :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, almost all of the sps is dead now, many of the zoas have melted between both of the tanks. :tears: Large water changes haven't made much of a difference. Parameters are all within normal limits. It is really frustrating to watch these frags die and not be able to do anything about it. It looks like I probably won't get to move into an apartment until middle of next month, this will be another fairly long distance to move everything and probably more die-off. The only coral that seem to be doing well are the lps and the mushrooms.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Merth! Seems like so many people are having big problems lately :(

Thanks Teeny. I got to thinking about it last night. It is probably the RODI water. I know it should be as pure as possible, but when you get it from LFS, you get what you get. I switched from one source to another overnight. Maybe the water I'm using currently has something in it, or is lacking something that was helping them flourish out there. :( I don't know other than the stress of moving itself.

• Like 1

Bummer Merth, so sorry to hear about the losses :(

I'm sure the move caused stress with temp swings and altitude changes, but i've found that corals usually end up fine after those changes. Sounds like the water source for sure. Wait till you're settled into your apartment and start rebuilding!

• Like 1