SaltCritters.com

Arce's Tank

Arce

I'm so sorry about all this, but at least you have some ideas about the cause now. I'm not a filter expert but I'm pretty sure purple slime on the carbon block is a bad thing :(

I saw this in one of the news articles: The chemical, 1,4-dioxane, is a clear, man-made substance used in paint strippers, degreasers and varnishes. It is also created unintentionally when mixing certain chemicals. It blends with water very easily and is difficult to remove.

I also saw the article was from March this year, so it's been going on for a while. Maybe your RODI unit was decontaminating the water successfully at first but then got exhausted.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry about all this, but at least you have some ideas about the cause now. I'm not a filter expert but I'm pretty sure purple slime on the carbon block is a bad thing :(

I saw this in one of the news articles: The chemical, 1,4-dioxane, is a clear, man-made substance used in paint strippers, degreasers and varnishes. It is also created unintentionally when mixing certain chemicals. It blends with water very easily and is difficult to remove.

I also saw the article was from March this year, so it's been going on for a while. Maybe your RODI unit was decontaminating the water successfully at first but then got exhausted.

Thats my thoughts. And im sure the water company has been upping its dosage of other chemicals to combat the dioxane. So i may have to replace my carbon more frequently.

Im tempted to get another canister and attach it to my RODI and run a second carbon block. Went to my LFS and asked him about chloramines and such yesterday, hes not far from me so is probably on the same water. He runs a 4 stage with 2 carbon filters.

• Like 2

Did a 5 gallon change last night and swapped out "clean" RODI top off. Im planning to do another 10 gallon water change this weekend. Some things have survived, the kat, pink lemonade, garf bonsai, forest fire digi, red monti, blue stag (seriously damaged). Going to set up my reactor as soon as i get the carbon, hoping that will take care of whatever may be in the water. Trying to stay positive...

• Like 4

After reading your experience I ordered new cartridges for my RO/DI unit. Don't want to take any chances with the seahorse/s that are coming.

your getting more?! So exciting, i havent been on anyones threads lately so im behind on news.
  • Like 3

your getting more?! So exciting, i havent been on anyones threads lately so im behind on news.

Yes, it was tough losing Adam and I needed to grieve his passing. Also I needed to see if it was wise to add ponies to a tank that had multiple fish with 1 being a clownfish. I checked with an expert where I got my seahorses and he said it should be fine since my clown never really progressed out of the juvenile stage, (even though he's 7 yrs old). As I look in the tank and see Eve by herself I am feeling ready to get her a friend or two. I will probably do that in the next several weeks, after I get an October trip out of the way.

• Like 1

Arce - Ben had used some sort of filter floss that will tell you by turning colors if you have certain contaminants in your tank. I can't remember for the life of me what it was called but I got some when I wanted to see if I had aluminum in my tank. I figure it can't hurt!

Arce - Ben had used some sort of filter floss that will tell you by turning colors if you have certain contaminants in your tank. I can't remember for the life of me what it was called but I got some when I wanted to see if I had aluminum in my tank. I figure it can't hurt!

That's a great idea. It's called Poly-Filter. And it's very different from generic filter floss that sometimes is called the same thing. I have some but only use it if I want to check for something bad in the tanks.
  • Like 1

Ill give it a look. Thanks!
  • Like 1

Well my motivation for the tank is still barely existent but im trying to keep it in good shape. I haven't gotten a reactor up and running yet, yes i know :slap: . But since the RODI carbon change and dosing prime with the new water, everything has been ok. The only SPS that remain are the Kat, Garf Bonsai, Pink Lemonade, Purple Stylo, Tricolor Valida, Red Planet, and the blue stag / forest fire digi but those are seriously damaged.

My acans are all happy and getting a bit too big, might have to cut or sell them soon. And the clam is doing great but it dropped its foot which hopefully doesn't result to something. I think it happened because I've caught my urchin literally carrying it on the ceramic clam bed across the tank so it probably got pissed.

Despite all the issues this freaking thing continues to shine. Notice new corrallites every day, looks like its about to explode with growth any day now.

29450290963_7c17a70c66.jpg

30043432636_d6755204d9.jpg

• Like 5

:slap:

Dat pink urchin tho....

Kat looks good. That coral is like "bring it on yo" :lol:

I knew that slap was coming.

I love the urchin but its a pita always picking things up. Beautiful colors though.

Yea, honestly i think this piece is now bullet proof after withstanding the crap that went down in my tank and to have that coloration in just a week after...

Kat looks great, makes me wonder if you had a big nitrate spike for some reason since the Kat, lover of all things Nitrogen, looks so damn good.

• Like 1

Kat looks great, makes me wonder if you had a big nitrate spike for some reason since the Kat, lover of all things Nitrogen, looks so damn good.

I'm sure i did with all of the die off that occurred during the water issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Tanks still up and running, haven't given it the attention it needs though. Keeping up with weekly water changes but that's pretty much it. Having another diatom bloom, probably from the die off finally catching up. Changed my DI/Silicate in my RODI just in case its high silicates in my water. Whats alive is doing ok, some have great growth and color, others still healing from the mess. Hoping to get the tank back up to par by November, there's a local frag swap, planning to get some simple stuff just to let it grow out.

• Like 3

Tanks still up and running, haven't given it the attention it needs though. Keeping up with weekly water changes but that's pretty much it. Having another diatom bloom, probably from the die off finally catching up. Changed my DI/Silicate in my RODI just in case its high silicates in my water. Whats alive is doing ok, some have great growth and color, others still healing from the mess. Hoping to get the tank back up to par by November, there's a local frag swap, planning to get some simple stuff just to let it grow out.

I am glad to hear that the recovery continues and that you are planning for new coral. I am hoping you take some pics then?

• Like 1

I am glad to hear that the recovery continues and that you are planning for new coral. I am hoping you take some pics then?

Thanks, yea ill get some, right now the only thing i like taking pictures of is the garf bonsai and kat sps. They have such great color and have been growing like crazy, everything else is ... meh lol.

• Like 3

Thanks, yea ill get some, right now the only thing i like taking pictures of is the garf bonsai and kat sps. They have such great color and have been growing like crazy, everything else is ... meh lol.

Hopefully things will be more recovered when you get the new coral at the swap in November. Maybe picture taking will be more fun then.

• Like 1