Pod Your Reef

Anyone with a Lee Mar rimless tank, get in here! Please :(

Seiryoku

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=313953

Recently ordered two rimless tanks from Lee Mar and am having a hell of a time with the quality and customer service.

Both tanks have multiple scratches, one on all three viewing panes (two that are deep), air bubbles in the silicone, spacers visible in the corners of the front panes, sloppy overall (in my opinion) silicone job and chipping (from cutting the glass) along edges that weren't "diamond edged". One even came in chipped, has a funky notch in the overflow (router didn't go straight down and back up) and the right pane isn't squared up with the front pane. The "diamond edge" job isn't nice and uniform and there are some heavy grinding/polish lines at the ends of the panes.

Also orderd two stands from them which are both lacking in quality.

I'm after pictures of the quality Lee Mar tanks I know are out there as well as any personal experiences dealing with Lee Mar concerning quality issues.

Thanks for any help! There are picturs in my build thread if you'd like to take a look.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paid cash :(

This is literlally making me sick to my stomach. I have a lot of money in the two tanks and stands and it seems like Lee Mar is going to try and stick me with four bad products...

If they are going to do that and there are no options

I Would let everyone know how they do business on every forum your on

let them know that too ^_^

after looking at your pics even my mr. aqua from taiwan has a better silicone job

Deleted User 4

Post that on socalireefs.com, reef2reef.com, reefcentral.com. Post the pics and let everyone in the neighborhood. Especially socalireefs. Maybe LeeMar is on there.

• Like 1

Post that on socalireefs.com, reef2reef.com, reefcentral.com. Post the pics and let everyone in the neighborhood. Especially socalireefs. Maybe LeeMar is on there.

I'll have to start threads on all of those forums about it, thanks for the sites :)

Well then your recourse is to take whoever you purchased the tank from to small claims court and/or file a BBB complaint against them. I'd start by immediately sending a letter to whoever you purchased your tank from detailing the problems and include the photos. Send it registered mail so that someone has to sign for it. Request any response in writing.

The good news is that you live in CA and we have excellent consumer protection laws. I suspect that if you show up for court, you'll win your claim. The bad news is that it's a much bigger hassle than you should actually have to go through.

Any major purchase should be made on a CC, even if you pay it off from your phone as you walk out the door. I bought something once and the store clerk was refusing a return for some stupid reason, called my CC and they told me to set it on the counter and walk out the door and that they would refund the purchase price. Any purchase made on your CC comes with buyer protection, loss insurance for 90 days and a whole slew of other consumer protections that are much easier to deal with.

Unfortuantly it benifited me and the LFS I purchased the tanks from to pay cash.

The LFS is aware of the issues with the tanks and is more than willing to make me happy, probably even at his expense. He is communicating with Lee Mar about the issues and I am supposed recieve a call from Mark on Monday (Mark and Brian do not work Fridays). His inital call to Brian, their master tank builder, is what has me worried...

I think this will all come down to what Lee Mar decides to do...whether or not they want to stand behind their reputation...

Well then your recourse is to take whoever you purchased the tank from to small claims court and/or file a BBB complaint against them. I'd start by immediately sending a letter to whoever you purchased your tank from detailing the problems and include the photos. Send it registered mail so that someone has to sign for it. Request any response in writing.

The good news is that you live in CA and we have excellent consumer protection laws. I suspect that if you show up for court, you'll win your claim. The bad news is that it's a much bigger hassle than you should actually have to go through.

Any major purchase should be made on a CC, even if you pay it off from your phone as you walk out the door. I bought something once and the store clerk was refusing a return for some stupid reason, called my CC and they told me to set it on the counter and walk out the door and that they would refund the purchase price. Any purchase made on your CC comes with buyer protection, loss insurance for 90 days and a whole slew of other consumer protections that are much easier to deal with.

Wow thanks for the tidbit of information.I will keep that in mind since i also do alot of purchasing with cash.

Sei if the same thing happened to me i would also be sick to my stomach.You are a long time member on here and so i hope people take your review seriously and not deal with lee mar if this is going to be how they treat their customers.I would email them this thread and show them what is going on with your end of the purchase and see if it maybe puts some fire under their butt.

Also add thereeftank and 3reef to that list.

Sei I would hold off putting them on blast until you hear back from the LFS. If they won't fix the problem send them to the wolves.

Well then your recourse is to take whoever you purchased the tank from to small claims court and/or file a BBB complaint against them. I'd start by immediately sending a letter to whoever you purchased your tank from detailing the problems and include the photos. Send it registered mail so that someone has to sign for it. Request any response in writing. The good news is that you live in CA and we have excellent consumer protection laws. I suspect that if you show up for court, you'll win your claim. The bad news is that it's a much bigger hassle than you should actually have to go through. Any major purchase should be made on a CC, even if you pay it off from your phone as you walk out the door. I bought something once and the store clerk was refusing a return for some stupid reason, called my CC and they told me to set it on the counter and walk out the door and that they would refund the purchase price. Any purchase made on your CC comes with buyer protection, loss insurance for 90 days and a whole slew of other consumer protections that are much easier to deal with.
I agree 100% I think his LFS will help him out. If they say NO I would just say see you in court and follow thru.

Just ridiculous. Every tank I have seen from LE mar has been top notch. Such a shame.

If they don't make it right I'll sticky it on underground reefs

• Like 1

Wow thanks for the tidbit of information.I will keep that in mind since i also do alot of purchasing with cash.

Sei if the same thing happened to me i would also be sick to my stomach.You are a long time member on here and so i hope people take your review seriously and not deal with lee mar if this is going to be how they treat their customers.I would email them this thread and show them what is going on with your end of the purchase and see if it maybe puts some fire under their butt.

Also add thereeftank and 3reef to that list.

I can only hope :)

Sei I would hold off putting them on blast until you hear back from the LFS. If they won't fix the problem send them to the wolves.

I agree 100% I think his LFS will help him out. If they say NO I would just say see you in court and follow thru.

Pretty upset about this, but so far am trying to be as nice and polite as possible in the hopes things are resolved peacefully.

Just ridiculous. Every tank I have seen from LE mar has been top notch. Such a shame. If they don't make it right I'll sticky it on underground reefs

Every tank I've seen from them has also been top notch, which is why I paid the premium for their tanks. I'll keep this thread updated so everyone knows what is happening.

Maybe you should start collecting stamps instead?

Stamps are so boring!

:(

This is from a sponsor (business owner) on socalireefs...

"They will take the tanks back and fix the problems but don't get your hopes up on new tanks.
I had a customer who had a few imperfections and Brian took care of the issues but it took couple months."

Very discouraging as both tanks have glass damage (a chip on one and scratches on both) and nasty polishing makrs so reusing the glass wouldn't make me happy.

Sounds like you paid cash to save on tax and got burned. The reason you pay by card is to get the protection you deserve. You gave that up to save a few bucks and you are now paying the price. Major bummer.

If you can get your money back do it. Go to www.oceansbydesign.com and let Mike build you a tank. Nicest glass tank money can buy IMO. Flawless everything and great guy to work with.

Just looked at the pics and those tanks and stands look like total dog shit! Sorry man those are terrible. Contact oceans by design and never worry again.

Glad to see people backing you on there. I know you feel bad about being pushy to the LFS but your pocket is 3 grand lighter and you have some messed up products. The LFS should refund your money or get you new products. Don't expect new glass? I would expect all new tanks and stands. Boils down to if the LFS has to eat the cost so be it they can write it off as a loss.

Blah, more and more bad information coming out on socalireefs...

No surprising at all. Bring the tanks back to the LFS this weekend and demand your money back. Then order from OBD.

Here are the two possible outcomes that will satisfy me, although one will still leave me in a bad position.

1) A guarantee from Mark (Lee Mar owner/operator) that my replacement (not repairs/fixes) tanks/stands will be flawless and put in the front of their build que (I'm not waiting months for replacements).

2) A, prompt, full refund from my LFS if Mark can't guarantee the above.

I'll settle for nothing less at this point. Really hope the outcome is #1 as I don't want to hurt my LFS at all. He is a great guy with a nice family that is only trying to earn an honest living in a shitty economy. Also, I'm still out tanks/stands if Lee Mar can't pull this off...with a lot of money tied up in equipment for both!

---

I paid about $800 for the cube and $1,200 for the 36x24x20...$1,025 for the two stands.

Don't even want to add up how much I have sitting around the house for these two tanks... Have done a ~$400 dollar order with BRS and marinedepot on top of all the lighting/pumps/etc... Upgraded my RO/DI system/storage in anticipation of a new tank too, including a booster pump.

I've literally spent MONTHS getting everything ready for the new tanks/stands and over a year saving the money.

You paid WAYYYY too much. PLEASE contact Oceans by Design. While they don't make stands Im sure their tanks are much cheaper and MUCH MUCH nicer.

You paid WAYYYY too much. PLEASE contact Oceans by Design. While they don't make stands Im sure their tanks are much cheaper and MUCH MUCH nicer.

I know I paid a lot (too much if you'd like), but I did it to get the best..Lee Mar perfection...

If I end up with a refund I'll be contacting multiple tanks builders for quotes...again...

Archived