Top Shelf Aquatics

Current tank is at his office. New tank at home.

PS- His office is awesome. Had a beer there when I picked up a Kelly Green Psammy from Eric. Really sweet work environment.

If you ever want some more beer or frags let me know.

• Like 1

Man you really went all out. I was looking at getting the light that you have and saw the price. I've never noped out of a light so quick.

The current light I have?

If you wanted an SPS quality light you'd probably see its quite reasonable.

I bought it direct from the factory in China at a price that beats almost anything currently available at that size and controllability level. If you found it on FishStreet or some other reseller they double or even triple the price.

I hope this new build works out. There are lots of little quirks that keep my head thinking.

• Like 1

Do you have a link for it? The guy's i talked too want upwards of 800 bucks with shpping and everyhting.

Its not really a page per say to just "Buy it Now" You'll have to do a little bit of work to get it.

Here is the company page for the light to see what you'd be ordering. You can check out what else they have if something seems more appealing to you.

http://www.aquasanrise.com/ProductsLED.asp?ADD=SanriseProductsFiles/SaltWater/AquaPro.html

Visit their alibaba page.

https://sosciled.en.alibaba.com/

Then click the contact supplier button and tell them you are interested in buying a "SAMPLE" of the Model you are interested in based on the first website. For example mine is the A001-90-C-G1

A001 is the model of the light, 90 is the length in cm, C is the version (They are up to version C, so the 3rd update) and G1 which is the remote option.

If you wanted a 24" version with wifi control it would be A001-60-C-G2.

I'm going to PM you some private stuff about this if you are still interested.

If you ever want some more beer or frags let me know.

For sure. I'd like to get over there and see the tank again. I'm office-ing away from downtown for a bit. When I get back down there, I'll hit you up.

Almost ready to start plumbing. A few straggler parts and the stand top should be here this week.

Until then can I get some help / recommendations / suggestions on ways to improve my plumbing and or sump. Here are 2 of my main designs. I've probably created 3-5 others but they are unfinished as these two seemed to be the best layouts and showed the 2 main styles.

Internal Pump Layout. This one uses less plumbing and allows the pump to be taken offline without dripping water everywhere. The issue with this design if that the large plumbing assembly above the pump is 17.5" tall. The stand interior is only 27.5" so that means the sump can only be 10" tall to allow the sump to be cleanly removed at the union. After looking at it more this isn't a HUGE issue as I could have a taller sump. I'd just have to disconnect both ball valves unions and I could remove a 12-14" tall sump if I really had to. In my example I show a glass AquaMaxx that fits. Its only 9.5" tall. This allows for the union to be in place and for the entire sump to be slide out if needed. The issue with having such a shallow sump is when operating it will only have 5ish inches of water. This barely covers the whole pump and is actually less than the height of my NeoTherm heater which says it should be installed vertical.

7KsdjVk.png

8aOgNNy.jpg
Blue tape is holding the reactors together as I'm missing the thread / thread union to join the two.

The next example is having the pump external. This allows for a taller more cube like sump. Two extra valves are needed to remove the pump from service. I just noticed while looking at this image that I screwed up the placement of the wye check valve. It needs to be above the Tee for the reactor (Like in my internal example) otherwise the water will just back flow through the reactor when the pump is offline. The two examples also show the difference between having both drains on the back of the sump or on the left side of the sump. Is there much of a benefit either way?

VaTY3WE.png

By having them both in the back I could do a custom sized ZeroEdge sump like this.

Series-7-26-Single1.jpg

Or on the side like this
Series-7-36-D-copy1.jpg

For people that have sumps like this, with the filter sock offset from the drains, how much detritus is trapped at the bottom of the drains that never goes over the wall to get filtered out by the socks? I'd imagine going straight into the sock would make sure everything is filtered out but I lose the ability to have a cover to reduce noise and splashing.

If anyone has tips or sees anything that could be rearranged let me know (Just like I noticed my mistake in the order of the tee and wye check valve placement)

• Like 5

Both plumbing/sump designs are well thought out. Personally I prefer the Idea of a taller sump, it really gives you more flexibility with the skimmer you can use. I made a custom sump purely for this reason but I also designed my stand with an internal height of roughly 850mm so I had lots of room to move. Yes, you will get some detritus settling in the drain chamber if the water doesn't pass immediately through the filter sock. This is easily rectified with a turkey baster though when you blow off the rocks. The second sump design shouldn't have this issue though as the drains run directly to the bottom of the chamber where mine stop only about 2 inches under the water surface.

Just to give you an idea of how I did my sump and plumbing, here is a pic of it all finished up.

PQdwO6.jpg

The only issue I had was some leaks from threaded fittings, I would never use them again and only did on my reactors. Glue everything and use unions if you need to remove things. Unions use a lot more space but the flexibility is worth it.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally ordered a custom Series 7 Sump from ZeroEdge. Now the waiting game for the Neptune COR. Been waiting a whole year, a few more months won't kill me, right?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Fantastic job on the build. Looking forward to seeing 2.0.

Have you ever had any issues with your drains restarting after you turn the pumps back on?

How quiet is the drain solution that you used?

• Like 1

Fantastic job on the build. Looking forward to seeing 2.0.

Have you ever had any issues with your drains restarting after you turn the pumps back on?

How quiet is the drain solution that you used?

No issues so far. They are just gravity driven with no siphon or anything fancy so once the water level rises they just equalize. My current setup is pretty darn quiet, most of my noise is from my Eheim 1260 return pump not from the drains or water exit in the sump.

I really hope the next one is just as simple and quiet but of course I'm hoping for even a little better.

New custom sized Series 7 ZeroEdge sump was delivered yesterday.

Got it all unboxed and it fits very nicely. Now all I need is that dang COR.... come on Neptune, don't make me buy a Vectra or DCP 6500.

jCvmYyv.jpg

ojdQ0Lv.jpg

IUnMkXi.jpg

It comes with one 7" wide x 12" tall sock. I searched around and found out Aquatic Experts makes a custom 7" Ring x 8" Tall sock. This sump was designed so I can use those socks without it bunching up at the bottom.

https://www.aquaticexperts.com/collections/all/products/7-ring-x-8-inch-200-micron-filter-socks-long-2-pack

I only wish they made them in 100 Micron Mesh as the 200 Micron Felt ones are a huge pain in the butt to clean.

• Like 3
Cencalfishguy56

New custom sized Series 7 ZeroEdge sump was delivered yesterday.

Got it all unboxed and it fits very nicely. Now all I need is that dang COR.... come on Neptune, don't make me buy a Vectra or DCP 6500.

jCvmYyv.jpg

ojdQ0Lv.jpg

IUnMkXi.jpg

It comes with one 7" wide x 12" tall sock. I searched around and found out Aquatic Experts makes a custom 7" Ring x 8" Tall sock. This sump was designed so I can use those socks without it bunching up at the bottom.

https://www.aquaticexperts.com/collections/all/products/7-ring-x-8-inch-200-micron-filter-socks-long-2-pack

I only wish they made them in 100 Micron Mesh as the 200 Micron Felt ones are a huge pain in the butt to clean.

i use my washer machine to clean my 100 micron felt socks lol works like a charm
  • Like 1

i use my washer machine to clean my 100 micron felt socks lol works like a charm

lol gotta do it when they're not around;)

Ya thats not going to go over very well. And shes always around. :ninja:

• Like 2

The sump looks amazing, looks like they did an awesome job. I tried cleaning my felt socks in the washing machine last time, did an awesome job! I used cold water only, no soap, 15min cycle with a medium spin dry. I'm still going to wash them by hand as best I can but put them through the machine once every 1-2 months. I soaked them in a 50/50 vinegar and water mix for an hour or so before hand.

• Like 1

The sump looks amazing, looks like they did an awesome job. I tried cleaning my felt socks in the washing machine last time, did an awesome job! I used cold water only, no soak, 15min cycle with a medium spin dry. I'm still going to wash them by hand as best I can but put them through the machine once every 1-2 months. I soaked them in a 50/50 vinegar and water mix for an hour or so before hand.

Sounds like the way to go. I might buy the 8 pack of socks and switch them out once a week. Then when I have a big container full of dirty socks wash them every 1-2 months.

That sump looks nicer than my tank. You are setting the bar really high for what the tank is gonna look like.

The actual tank itself is going to be in the same style as my last tank. Everything else though is going to be an upgrade to hopefully make things easier and more consistent.

Hopefully I don't set it so high that it doesn't live up to the hype.

• Like 2

I do see a flaw....the Core is grey and orange. I think the white in the sump messes with your color scheme :lol: In all seriousness that sump is gorgeous. Can't wait to see it up and running.

• 1 month later...

The current tank is still running and I'm still adding frags here and there. Added a few things from AquaSD a few weeks ago and just got a few things from the local swap on Saturday.

Not all of these are new, just some of the macro shots I liked.

liUxhHY.jpg

b070V6S.jpg

am1JZit.jpg

4iUf6Ks.jpg

XwHKDea.jpg

ei0cFD2.jpg

7Fvh7v4.jpg

WkLIDdT.jpg

Blue LEDs

grlnyJD.jpg

Normal Daylight

pw9xL6O.jpg

• Like 13

2.0 is moving along as well. Still very slowly as Im waiting for a pump before I assemble it all together.

Today I just got my probe holder in the mail thanks to ZeroEdge. Will make hooking up an apex that much easier. I also added some nice black push connect bulkheads for dosing lines.

dK86IGN.jpg

C2NukSW.jpg

WtnIi00.jpg

lbgZNDc.jpg

• Like 8