Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

Congratulations Christina! I bet you'll have lots of fun in San Diego!

That's so sad about Leafy! I wonder what happened. You've had him for quite a while right? They're supposed to be pretty hardy fish aren't they?

phobos2deimos

Got back from my UCLA/UCSD trip the other day, and I have good news and bad news.

Good news NRR: I've decided to attend UC San Diego :) I'll be heading there this fall for a Marine Bio major (can't remember if I already told you guys that)

Other good news: This tank is very happy atm, so much to prune!

Bad news: The macros are happy because Leafy died when I was gone :tears::tears::tears: I have no idea why he died, I topped off and fed him before I left (5 days)

Congrats on choosing UCSD! Great reefing community here (hop on SDReefs!) and Scripps provides filtered natural saltwater to everyone for free, so no more mixing salt!

Bummer about Leafy... at least it didn't nuke the tank I suppose?

• Like 1

Congratulations Christina! I bet you'll have lots of fun in San Diego!

That's so sad about Leafy! I wonder what happened. You've had him for quite a while right? They're supposed to be pretty hardy fish aren't they?

Thank you Felicia :)

Maybe it was old age? I guess I'll never know.

Btw, here's a link to that etsy shop where I got the necklace I was wearing today

https://www.etsy.com/shop/indolentjellyfish

Congrats on marine bio major!

Corals and macros sounds to be happy and healthy. But sorry about leafy.

Thanks, I'm excited :)

Yeah, at least everything else is happy

Congrats on choosing UCSD! Great reefing community here (hop on SDReefs!) and Scripps provides filtered natural saltwater to everyone for free, so no more mixing salt!

Bummer about Leafy... at least it didn't nuke the tank I suppose?

Oh good! I passed by AquaSD twice but didn't have time to go in (or to any other LFS)

Ohh that's great! Then I'll just need RODI

No, I know this is kinda weird, but I just left him in there since the extra nutrients will benefit the macros

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm with you on thinking maybe it was old age. That's the only explanation I can think of. Aquarium and fish issues can be such a mystery sometimes.

LOVED that necklace! Thanks for the link. I may just have to get myself one :) It was nice to chat with you today!

Yeah, I'm with you on thinking maybe it was old age. That's the only explanation I can think of. Aquarium and fish issues can be such a mystery sometimes.

LOVED that necklace! Thanks for the link. I may just have to get myself one :) It was nice to chat with you today!

It was nice to talk with you too :)

Today I ended up getting quite a few new inhabitants for this tank. I'm actually pretty excited I can have shrimp in this tank again, yay no more aiptasia! I was thinking about getting this adorable baby cherry scorp, but I also wanted a YCG, so I went the goby route instead. I normally prefer ocellaris, but I found 2 percs that were really pretty so I brought them home too.

Here's the list of what I got:

2x Solomon Percula Clowns

1x Yellow Clown Goby

1x Cleaner shrimp

1x Peppermint shrimp

2x Scarlet hermits

Everythings still in the bags atm, so no pics tonight

• Like 1

It was nice to talk with you too :)

Today I ended up getting quite a few new inhabitants for this tank. I'm actually pretty excited I can have shrimp in this tank again, yay no more aiptasia! I was thinking about getting this adorable baby cherry scorp, but I also wanted a YCG, so I went the goby route instead. I normally prefer ocellaris, but I found 2 percs that were really pretty so I brought them home too.

Here's the list of what I got:

2x Solomon Percula Clowns

1x Yellow Clown Goby

1x Cleaner shrimp

1x Peppermint shrimp

2x Scarlet hermits

Everythings still in the bags atm, so no pics tonight

You have nice taste. Scarlet hermits are the only hermits I use.

Solomon percs are personal favorite. Their colors are gorgeous. I have a pair that's going on 5 and half years. Then the little male turned into an onyx. So I wouldn't be surprised if your clowns color darken up as they get older.

You have nice taste. Scarlet hermits are the only hermits I use.

Solomon percs are personal favorite. Their colors are gorgeous. I have a pair that's going on 5 and half years. Then the little male turned into an onyx. So I wouldn't be surprised if your clowns color darken up as they get older.

haha thanks. I actually don't mind bluelegs, but I have 1 scarlet in the tank, so I just got more to match, and they are a little prettier :)

Yes, lots of Solomon Clowns come in with extra black, even onyx. Mine both have bold black lines, and the smaller one has extra black on the body too.

haha thanks. I actually don't mind bluelegs, but I have 1 scarlet in the tank, so I just got more to match, and they are a little prettier :)

Yes, lots of Solomon Clowns come in with extra black, even onyx. Mine both have bold black lines, and the smaller one has extra black on the body too.

Then I vote for a pic of your new clowns. :)

Awesome! They already look good.

Had then quarantined at the LFS so they're already on pellets, although they were separate the whole time so I'm glad they paired up instantly

congrats on getting into UCSD, its a nice school. i don't remember, but you're a grad student right?

Thank you!

Not quite, I'm transferring from a community college. Eventually I'll be a grad student :)

• Like 1

Wow! Nice choice for restocking this tank. I normally prefer ocellaris too, but the percs have been growing on me lately. Those are a pretty pair.

Got back from my UCLA/UCSD trip the other day, and I have good news and bad news.

Good news NRR: I've decided to attend UC San Diego :) I'll be heading there this fall for a Marine Bio major (can't remember if I already told you guys that)

Other good news: This tank is very happy atm, so much to prune!

Bad news: The macros are happy because Leafy died when I was gone :tears::tears::tears: I have no idea why he died, I topped off and fed him before I left (5 days)

You'll enjoy it here but your reefing hobby is going to take a hard dive. I hope you enjoy burritos with fries in them though.

(can you bring down a red mini carpet for me? thanks)

You'll enjoy it here but your reefing hobby is going to take a hard dive. I hope you enjoy burritos with fries in them though.

(can you bring down a red mini carpet for me? thanks)

Hey it's supernip!!

I actually don't know if I can keep a tank here :unsure: I'm going to live on campus in the transfer apts...so idk

I had carne asada fries! They were awesome.

Haha you want one? I should be able to bring you one. I think Joleen still has some

You should be able to keep a tank up to 10gals in the doors. A lot of people keep planted tanks. Scripps is close by so all the last minute water changes you want. The reef culture here might be slightly different from what you're used to and we only have 2 decent stores. I hope you brought a car! (and the thousands of dollars for a parking permit).

Joleen still keeps a reef?

I'm just worried that my roommates might not approve.I would only bring my Pico.

I don't think I can bring my car...permit is too expensive :/ idk yet

Ok, I finally had time to clean this tank and prune some more today! I'm pretty happy with how it looks, and the gorgs aren't even open atm :)

tomorrow I'll get a FTS!

• Like 1

New macro today :) Little weird thing I pulled off a zoa rock

20150611_204318_1.jpg

I just fed the tank some new food, grouper eggs! Everyone loved it :)

I'll be posting the new FTS tonight! :D

• Like 4

Ok technically it's tomorrow, but photobucket was working against me!

Here's today's FTS

IMG_153222r.jpg

I'll be posting some close ups soon :)

• Like 12

Love the color pops from those orange gorgonians! Looking really good in there.

Where did you get grouper eggs? From a grouper at work? Or are these a new frozen food?

Love the color pops from those orange gorgonians! Looking really good in there.

Where did you get grouper eggs? From a grouper at work? Or are these a new frozen food?

Thanks, they're really bright!

I ripped them out of a grouper's ovary :) Got a bunch of ovaries from big food groupers

I just rinsed them and made my own frozen "flat packs" if you want some!

Love the colors!

Thank you!

• Like 1