SaltCritters.com

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Nice colony!

Looks healthy too.

There are a number of ways to feed them.

1) target feeding mysis, sliver sides, pellets, etc. seem to have best results. Fastest growth and cleanest way to feeding.

2) Board cast feeding is what the guy at the LFS was talking about. Can be done. SC/dendros in the wild normally take up food this way. I board cast feed with fauna merin's gorg and dendro systems.

3) pods in the tank is also another way for them to get food. I have read of big established tanks keeping dendros and not having to feed them at all.

The amount you feed them is directly tied to how fast you want them to grow.

Once a week? you have the answer right there..you only feed it enought for it to survive, not grow.

I feed my dendro each day and sometimes 2 times per day when I feed my fish. It has grow from one head to 5 heads in a month and each head is now about half adult size and having 1/2" skeleton growing!

Feed it more, each day and good food.

I have had my sun coral now for over two years... I feed it at least once a week and it looks great.. but it hasn't spread at all....I can't believe some of these tanks... they are spreading like zoas!!! What's the secret?
I'm thinking about picking up a sun coral that the LFS has. I've been watching it for a 3-4 weeks now and it's open about 80% of the times that I come in. It looks amazing! The other SCs that they have for sale are 'meh' but this one seems to be really happy for some reason.

Of course, the LFS wants to sell me the coral, but I am concerned about adding yet more complexity to the tank. The kid swears up and down that they never target feed them. He says, just feed normally and add frozen red bar cyclo to the tank once a week.

I've got a nice shaded spot with low-medium flow for the coral, but I want the expert opinions of the people that have been involved on this thread first.

thanks

Here is a pic

post-56028-1294413732_thumb.jpg!

Tubastrea is found in high light and low light conditions, but is nearly always found in areas of high wave energy. IMHO it is a mistake to place them in areas of low to moderate flow.

My dendros have eaten 2 chromis anyone else experience this, the fish weren't dead either kicking and trying to escape but that big head on my colony is a beast and just spit out a skeleton the next day

My upside down sun coral, this is when lights are on later in the day. When lights go out its polyps even extend more.

IMG_0139.JPG

I feed it mysis/rotifers/cyclopeeze/oyster feast/phyto in a cup that I put in the tank. Also my tank is continually feed with phyto 24/7. By far one of my favorite corals.

• 2 weeks later...
My dendros have eaten 2 chromis anyone else experience this, the fish weren't dead either kicking and trying to escape but that big head on my colony is a beast and just spit out a skeleton the next day

i want pics!!!! of the colony...

My upside down sun coral, this is when lights are on later in the day. When lights go out its polyps even extend more.

IMG_0139.JPG

I feed it mysis/rotifers/cyclopeeze/oyster feast/phyto in a cup that I put in the tank. Also my tank is continually feed with phyto 24/7. By far one of my favorite corals.

WOW!! Absolutely beautiful!

Let me get my sunglasses so I can look at it some more! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

As some of you may, or may not know, I experienced a disaster with my tank the first of the year (heater exploded). Basically I'm starting over as far as corals are concerned. One of the corals I lost was a nice softball sized duncan colony. It was also my clowns favorite coral and used it as their host.

I am replacing it with another duncan. But instead of the heads all clumped, I got one that is a branching variety. The tentacles are also more of a purple/pinkish color. Here's a pic from the vendor, can't wait to get it.

duncan8heads79991.jpg

whofeelsitknowsit

I picked up this rhizo a few weeks ago. It's pretty sweet.

7db805bc.jpg

You can also see a Mr. Coral "dendro" behind it. (I have moved the "dendro" since that pic was taken.) I use the quotation marks because I'm pretty sure what Mr. Coral sells as dendro is actually sun coral.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of an online store that sells nice dendro or balano frags?

whofeelsitknowsit
I picked up this rhizo a few weeks ago. It's pretty sweet.

7db805bc.jpg

You can also see a Mr. Coral "dendro" behind it. (I have moved the "dendro" since that pic was taken.) I use the quotation marks because I'm pretty sure what Mr. Coral sells as dendro is actually sun coral.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of an online store that sells nice dendro or balano frags?

Another pic, different angle:

17607920.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone can help ID with such poor pics...sorry I just can't get anything better. Just confirming dendro? It's about 1/2 the size of my pinkie nail.

007-1.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

Honestly, it looks more like a tubastrea to me -- similar looking to the 'baby' sun corals I had popping up in my tank. Although, it is somewhat hard to tell from the pic.

• 3 months later...

Great thread, I just picked up one large head of Dendrophyllia this weekend...

I notice many of bases of people's Dendro's (not the polyps) look different - some flesh color, some pink, and some like mine look like lava rock, and dark, similar to post #114 and #140 - can anyone clarify if this is a different species specifically?

I'll post pics of mine soon... (edit: pic added)

Dendrophyllia%20Coral%204370.jpg

Edited by megability

I just picked up a nice 2 head dendro frag, loves mysis :)

Is it better to feed these guys at night or day? Or just feed it whenever it's open?