Pod Your Reef

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

Mikeymikemike

ONE YEAR OLD! :D

This month the Iwagumi Reef turns one year old. So far it has been a very interesting journey and I am pleased with the result.

14707036_10155098538085110_9074185752779

An update on things over the past month. Recently I switched over to sump filtrationa nd it has made life a lot easier with water changes and running a larger skimmer. The ATO also made life a lot easier and stability has been a lot better.

I ran into a nutrient problem where my nitrates were too low and my LPS suffered. One of my hammers started to recede but it is recovering now. I started to dose more nitrates as sodium nitrate and amino acids to combat ULNS but that resorted in a bit of browning at a 0.02ppm increase. A good friend of mine came over and we both concluded that increasing natural feeding would allow for the colours and levels to return naturally and eventually the brown will go away. I doubled my dose of reef pearls and and now the pinks and blues have returned and the greens are making a very slow comeback. I don't think I will ever get the milli as green as it came in due to that coral coming from a local area where the water is considered to be a bit more temperate and "dirtier" according to the collectors, in my tank it is a light green but I remember the solid green it was once before... Again, this proves that our tanks are very dynamic environments and SPS can change so quickly. All the corals that I have coming from Cairns seems to maintain their colour a lot better from my observation.

On a sad note my large strawberry shortcake decided to hove a fight with its neighbour and died from the base. I tried to frag it to save it from RTN but it was too fast and even the fragged bits lost the battle.

Last week I switched from red sea coral colors program to KZ coral system. The breakdown of elements means I can control my needs. So far my tank needs more potassium and the addition of bromine and iodine is helping the LPS.

14711558_10155098536690110_8725290086071

14700869_10155098536775110_4544405868811

14711040_10155098537380110_2724179724172

14711093_10155098537880110_5867943123709

14707789_10155098537965110_1110939192222

• Like 11

Wow, one year already? How time flies. Tank looks great, I'm glad you are getting everything dialed in. I bet the sump has made a huge difference in both ease of maintenance and stability.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Time does fly online doesn't it. But I think for me to get to this point I'd say I've put in hundreds of hours of work and research to get things this way.

The sump certainly helps with water changes and there are small tricks that make the task very easy.

• Like 2
Mikeymikemike

c0119618_19434048.jpg

I use aquascape scissors like these to nip coral tips that touch. The tips are newly laid so it is still quite brittle.

The problem I had with coral warfare was when the bases start to encrust over each other. My green millipora and strawberry shortcake acro decided to encrust and spread out about 2 inches and join each other. That's where the battle for territory began. The acro lost out and started to melt from the encrusted base. In those circumstances I try to use superglue to stop the fight. but eventually they grow over that too (usually 2 months). It's a slow problem but for now there are only 2 or 3 corals that fight.

• Like 5
Mikeymikemike

I forgot to mention I got this guy, a very underrated deep water acro that that has a stunning gold/green sheen. No idea on the care requirements of this morph as apparently they change very quickly. 3 different tanks and 3 different colours according to the sellers.

14711524_10155098537375110_1055720532017

• Like 2

How has the MAME overflow performed for you. I am considering one but it makes me nervous, especially since it relies on that little tube to restart the siphon. It seems like it would be easy for something to get in there and block it. What return pump are you using with it?

Mikeymikemike

How has the MAME overflow performed for you. I am considering one but it makes me nervous, especially since it relies on that little tube to restart the siphon. It seems like it would be easy for something to get in there and block it. What return pump are you using with it?

The MAME overflow works well and has been faultless. I had a powercut recently and the system started right back up no problems without me even knowing. The overflow is a little bit noisy without the silencer cap or something similar to cover it. I ended up making my own cap. Nothing can really block the venturi if you run a clean system with a filter sock.

I use a Jecod/Jebao DCS2000 as a return pump. at 70% and it works just fine. I like the fact that I can turn down the settings to 30% for feeding to stop back siphoning.

• Like 2

Amazing! I am new to the hobby but I take much of my inspiration from the planted nature aquarium based on Iwagumi. I looked into the MAME overflow and spoke to the team in Japan. They are very nice guys and the product looks amazing. Really inspirational aquarium I will be following along.

Wow time flies! I've enjoyed following your tank this past year - thanks for sharing it with all of us!

I particularly appreciate how you go into some of the details on nutrient balance and such. It's changed so much and I'm sure you'll figure out how to make it even more awesome next year.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Wow I have a million questions but what is your equipment and husbandry schedule look like?

My equipment is quite basic. Protein skimmer, carbon and gfo in a reactor and dosing pumps.

I think husbandry is more important for keeping things clean and nutrients low. I do a 10-20% water change once a week. I blast the rocks with a turkey baster, disturb the sandbed to take out detritus with my pumps turned on max and run a filter sock. I use coral snow with zeobak as it acts as a flocculant and bacteria growth site.

I feed floating pellets to make sure all food is eaten.

All of these factors contribute to keeping the water clean. At times it is too clean and so I am trying to find that balance which is hard to achieve in such a small water volume.

• Like 2

So you don't feed any liquid or frozen foods at all? Something like reef roids or a liquid coral food could help you keep the nutrient level up in the water.

Mikeymikemike

I forgot to mention. I do feed frozen occasionally but I rinse it in RO. I also broadcast feed reef pearls. I feed liquid food as well but that's also occasional. Lately I have increased feeding

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Few questions, been following from the start...

since the switch to articial salt (Ultimate Aquacare?) did you notice a difference in water clarity?

Also whats your dosing program?

What test kits you using?

And where in aus ;) wouldn't mind coming to have a look...