Innovative Marine Aquariums

Meepduino: 2.0 RELEASED!

MeepNand

All the things I've read online say that the SD function doesn't work. In any case, what will I use it for? Logging the pH or something?

I can just use a maximum and minimum for each thing and not have to graph stuff. It's just a gamble I don't want to take right now, but that shield does indeed look different. Maybe later.

Lord only knows what you could pull off with it. I noticed the cosmetic differences as well.

Oh well even if you don't do anything with the a SD slot i think I'll pick up one of those different Shields for myself. :P

It's amazing what one little slip up in design can ruin.

• Like 1

Hey Meep, tried putting my ds1307 on the unit. I get the 27:85:85 time. Which u say means my clock it not hooked up. I hqve soldered all connections according to the diagram. At a loss man, any help would be great.

• Like 1

Hm. Did you make sure to download the version of the Meepduino for the DS1307?

If that's not it, just remember this:

VCC to 5v

GND to GND

SDA to pin 20

SCL to pin 21

The SDA and SDL are marked on the Mega board itself, so if that's not right, tell me.

Meep thats how I have it wired. I went back through and re-downloaded the code and libraries, checked my wiring again, checked soldering connections. Still having the problem of 27:85:85.

If i hold my fingers on the four pins coming out of the ds1307 i get a time of 45 something something.

With that being said when I was using the ds1302 when I would hold my fingers over the four pins coming out of it, I would get correct time readings.

I am at a loss, I will try posting pictures of how I got everything, maybe there is just something I am missing

• Like 1

random question, not to do with meepduino specificallu but this is as good a place as any since it looks like we are all working on our [meepduino] builds at similar levels. what is the thickness of the wires that your using for the led arrays, mine is 22 gauge but it looks alot thinner than the wires that the LDD drivers came with. is that ok?

• Like 1

random question, not to do with meepduino specificallu but this is as good a place as any since it looks like we are all working on our [meepduino] builds at similar levels. what is the thickness of the wires that your using for the led arrays, mine is 22 gauge but it looks alot thinner than the wires that the LDD drivers came with. is that ok?

22 gauge is fine. You can go up to 24 gauge at minimum.

Also, a quick note to those with DS18B20s-

TEMPERATURE CONTROL DOES NOT WORK. I am working to fix it, but until then, revert to 1.5.1 is you want temperature.

Meep any idea why my time chip is not working correctly? This is the http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-I2C-RTC-DS1307-AT24C32-Real-Time-Clock-Module-for-arduino-AVR-PIC-51-ARM-/140827188913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c9f45eb1 RTC I ordered. I have right angle headers attached to both sides as I have tested it with both sides. I am getting discouraged, and feel like ordering a storm or storm x.... I know it is not your fault my rtc is not working, just frustrated is all. Should I try ordering a new RTC maybe a ds1302 and ds1307. Is there a way i can use the controller without a RTC? Does the Arduino have the capability to just run a 24 clock over and over?

I like the wave maker function you added with this update. Any chance you will be adding multiple controlled outlets. Would be nice to be able to control most equipment from this controller, Just simple on/off codes, no timed setting like the wave makers. Something like 16 outlets maybe more, for the ones of us trying to control multiple tanks, but if the price is right and I get it working I can build multiple units, just trying to think out loud is all. You could always add a small box on the front screen clickable to go to a screen with 16 or more boxes that light green when on and red when off, maybe even have a spot to have the user label each button in the code. Would something like that be difficult or time consuming to code?

I also see you are looking into modifying the Typhoon controller, what are your goals going to be with that?

Well I look forward to hearing back. And as always thanks for the time you put into this project

16 outlets is unlikely because the shield takes up so many pins. Maybe 5 or 6 outlets that can go on at certain times of day for set amounts of time.

Typhon controller is pretty much finished. It works fine over my tank with a nice bell curve.

The Arduino internal clock drifts about 60 seconds per day, so you would need to reset it every day. And the clock would always begin at 00:00:00 because otherwise it would use too much code.

Could you post a picture or a wiring diagram? Just wire VCC to 5v, GND to GND, SCL to SCL, SDA to SDA on the Arduino Mega. They SDA and SCL are clearly marked.

Yeah man I got them wired that way. I will post pics of everything tomorrow, as I left the controller at my office. The only thing I can think it could possibly be is where I have my 5v and my ground wired to the arduino. I will play around with that some too and see if it makes any difference at all

• Like 1

It would have to be the power wires. Try uploading the example sketch for the DS1307, and change the line (4,5) to (20, 21). Then swap the power and ground and try again if it doesn't work.

It would have to be the power wires. Try uploading the example sketch for the DS1307, and change the line (4,5) to (20, 21). Then swap the power and ground and try again if it doesn't work.

Not sure I am understanding what you are referring too... I looked at the sketch for the ds1307 and it says the pins are (20,21)

This is what I see

//DS1302 rtc(CE_PIN, IO_PIN, SCLK_PIN);

//SDA, SCL

#define SDA 20

#define SCL 21

DS1307 rtc(SDA,SCL);

• Like 1

I mean the example sketch, not what appears in my code.
Go to "File --> Examples --> DS1307 --> DS1307_Serial_Easy".

You will see this near the top of the sketch:

// DS1307: SDA pin -> Arduino Digital 4
// SCL pin -> Arduino Digital 5

#include <DS1307.h>

// Init the DS1307
DS1307 rtc(4, 5);

You need to change the line,

DS1307 rtc(4, 5);

to:

DS1307 rtc(20, 21);

Then upload it to your Arudino. Open up the Serial monitor (button in the top right of the Arduino window) after it's uploaded. Wait a few seconds, and you should see the time being displayed. You shouldn't need to change the wiring.

If that doesn't work, then rewire it, because that's the simplest possible sketch.

Meep, after an exhausting day of wiring and testing, re wiring and more testing. I have not been able to get the time chip to work. I am wondering if I could send it to you, and maybe you could get this thing working. I would be willing to pay for your time... I am very bummed about this... Maybe I just got a bad chip. I have tried to google problems with the ds1307 and saw one thread where the crystal was bad and it had to be grounded. Not sure if this is the case or how one would even do that, also saw a thread where a guy was powering it through a digital pin, and to get it to work right he had to change the vcc pin to a ground then reset it to a positive. I am not sure how to do any of that. Should I try ordering a new chip or two? Is anyone else having these problems?

• Like 1

also there are two sets of plugs on. which side am should i be plugging into the arduino. the two sets of sockets are labled P2 and P1. Reefed419, looks like you have yous plugged into the P1 side? is that correct

• Like 1

my ds1307 arrived today, where do i find the library for it?

In the google docs page, there should be a folder with all the libraries in it. That has both the DS1307 and DS1302 libraries.

Then, load the sketch with DS1307 in its name and upload.

also there are two sets of plugs on. which side am should i be plugging into the arduino. the two sets of sockets are labled P2 and P1. Reefed419, looks like you have yous plugged into the P1 side? is that correct

What do you mean? Like for the DS1307? Check the wiring diagram in the docs page.

What do you mean? Like for the DS1307? Check the wiring diagram in the docs page.

My ds1307 looks different to the one in the wiring diagrams. ive attached a photo.

It basically has two banks of attachments labeled P1/2 and both include DS/SCL/SDA/VCC/GND. whats the difference?

post-50830-0-88245300-1379160899_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Zaedon, I am not sure which bank to wire them to. I tried both and had no luck so I can not be of help. Let us know if you get it working or not, and which bank u used to do it. Share the knowledge. I just sent my hardware to Meep to see if he can get it working for me.

• Like 1

My ds1307 looks different to the one in the wiring diagrams. ive attached a photo.

It basically has two banks of attachments labeled P1/2 and both include DS/SCL/SDA/VCC/GND. whats the difference?

You can use either one, but you only need to connect to the SCL, SDA, VCC, and GND once, regardless of side. The VCC, GND, SDA, and so on and so forth are connected to both pins with their name.

You should not need a wire going to DS though. Only VCC, GND, SDA, and SCL.

thanks guys, just tested it out, update on mine:

• clock stuck at 27:85:85 also.
  • buttons still not working currectly. eg when i go into set time, pressing the plus button will affect the seconds from"85" to "0". and most other buttons simply do nothing. back button doesnt work, so im unplugging to start again
  • I should note i haven't plugged in my temp probe. All i have is the arduino, Display/shield, DS1307 connected.

Meep, let us know how get on with reefed419. Thanks again.

This is becoming problematic. I got the controller from reefed419, and I'm wiring it up tomorrow morning. I have run my controller without probe and it works fine.

Hurry, Hurry! I am on pins and needles! Can not wait to see what I might have done wrong. Or where the mess up is. Just kidding take your time, just not too much. I am running all my new leds off my old drivers will you figure it out, so I am ok for now.

• Like 1