Innovative Marine Aquariums

Meepduino: 2.0 RELEASED!

MeepNand

Question: any discouragement from using an arduino Due instead of the popular Mega. Just want to be super sure before ordering my stuff. Thanks

I have not tested it with the Due. It will probably work, but the Mega will do fine as well. Has anybody tried this with a Due?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Meep, your wiring for 2.0 is different from the previous ones does this mean you don't need the smaller 12v power adaptor?

You can use any adapter up to 16v. I just used a stock photo of a 12v power supply.

This is a drawing of exactly what I did. Can some one please help me out and tell me what I did wrong?

post-79903-0-45187100-1390956060_thumb.png

just to clarify things, the fan isn't connected to anything and I was wondering where to attach the wires. Thanks in advance!

post-79903-0-45187100-1390956060_thumb.png

• Like 1

If that piece caught fire, then you were drawing too much power from the board. I would get a multimeter and test for shorts just make sure nothing is shorted.

That piece is the bit that steps the 12v down to 5v. If you draw too much, it taxes the thing until it dies. It will probably be unusable. Try hooking up a big 5v power supply directly to the 5v pin on the board. Make sure to test for shorts before doing that though.

just to clarify things, the fan isn't connected to anything and I was wondering where to attach the wires. Thanks in advance!

I think the positive(red) wire of the fan goes to a spit you do on the 12V wallwart you have. The other thing you split the 12V wallwartt for is to connect it to the arduino (like the starting diagram). I would personally use a less than 12v source for the arduino like meepnand said. The higher voltage you put in the stepdown chip (arduino) the more the chip will output it as heat.

Correct me if im wrong. Im still learning how to electronics.

A question comes to mind: MeepNand when you say big 5v power supply, how much output current big?

• Like 1

I think the positive(red) wire of the fan goes to a spit you do on the 12V wallwart you have. The other thing you split the 12V wallwartt for is to connect it to the arduino (like the starting diagram). I would personally use a less than 12v source for the arduino like meepnand said. The higher voltage you put in the stepdown chip (arduino) the more the chip will output it as heat.

Correct me if im wrong. Im still learning how to electronics.

A question comes to mind: MeepNand when you say big 5v power supply, how much output current big?

A 2a 5v power supply should be plenty and safe. A 1a might suffice, but if you are controlling many leds or mechanical relays in addition to teh touchscreen, and are using an Ebay 1a power supply, then it might break. A 2a won't even get warm and only costs a ltitle.

Sorry but I'm not too sure how to check for shorts

Set your multimeter to the thing that looks like a little radio wave or a triange witha line. If you touch the probes together, it should emit a beeping sound. Same goes for if there is a short between the two probes. Youtube should have a tutorial.

EDIT: If you don't have a multimeter, you should invest in one. They are cheap and invaluable.

Here, $5 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cen-Tech-7-Function-Multi-Tester-Digital-Multimeter-/131105545928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e867fdec8

Anyone running this right now? I'm about to set it up for led control only with no fans hooked up. Meep I read that you weren't actually running it, or are you now?

I am not currently running because I want to keep it near the computer. I believe Disaster is currently running it.

It should work fine for led control only. I tested that multiple times to be sure.

• Like 1
I am not currently running because I want to keep it near the computer. I believe Disaster is currently running it.

It should work fine for led control only. I tested that multiple times to be sure.

Ok cool thanks

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

questions from the newcomer. are the fans in the first page diagram actually controlled by the arduino pins? If so would they show as a "pump" and can they be temperature controlled?

Also what kind of alarm(s) is/are recommended...

Thanks

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

This is a drawing of exactly what I did. Can some one please help me out and tell me what I did wrong?

Erm...what voltage is that power supply connected directly to the Arduino board?

• Like 1

questions from the newcomer. are the fans in the first page diagram actually controlled by the arduino pins? If so would they show as a "pump" and can they be temperature controlled?

Also what kind of alarm(s) is/are recommended...

Thanks

Alarms isn't aptly named actually. It's more like a time-triggered event. The pins the pumps and fans are connected to show up on the screen as pump and fan pins.

For alarms, feeding, water change, and top off are good ways to use them.

Hi all

i followed this forum an it is a gerat project

i have now prototpying my Meepduino an the features are great :-)

i will look forward for Lunar Cycle and Weather

thanks a lot for this project

greatings from Vienna

• Like 1

Hi all

i followed this forum an it is a gerat project

i have now prototpying my Meepduino an the features are great :-)

i will look forward for Lunar Cycle and Weather

thanks a lot for this project

greatings from Vienna

Thanks for the praise!

As for future features, robotics has let up so I have more free time. Lunar cycle can be added easily, however, weather takes more time to add. I might not work on this for another few weeks while I finish up mroe important projects.

Thanks for the praise!

As for future features, robotics has let up so I have more free time. Lunar cycle can be added easily, however, weather takes more time to add. I might not work on this for another few weeks while I finish up mroe important projects.

for Lunar Cycle i use Channel 7 thats ok for me and i think for my fishes too :-)

is there a way to set the time and level of the PWM Outputs with a arduino code because on the display it is very time intensive :-)

i'm not a prfessional programmer but i will then try to make a Windows Programm for the Settings

• Like 1

for Lunar Cycle i use Channel 7 thats ok for me and i think for my fishes too :-)

is there a way to set the time and level of the PWM Outputs with a arduino code because on the display it is very time intensive :-)

i'm not a prfessional programmer but i will then try to make a Windows Programm for the Settings

It's tricky to set it with just code. The time it would take to write the program and fill in the blanks would be longer than just setting it manually.

Use the click-and-drag functionality. It gets you in the ballpark area, and that's what matters.

• 1 month later...

Could you add something like this?

I dont have programming knowledge so i dont know how hard it would be but it would be awesome even if you maybe make it as a separate project or addition to the current controller.

• Like 1

Could you add something like this?

I dont have programming knowledge so i dont know how hard it would be but it would be awesome even if you maybe make it as a separate project or addition to the current controller.

The testing is easy, but for me wifi would be a whole new world. It doesn't look like I'll have any time for a while, and I'm not really up to learning that stuff now.

For somebody with prior phone-to-device experience it would probably be child's play.

Short answer, no, it is not easy for me.

disaster999

Hey Meep, question about 2.0. Why doesnt my program "save" its setting after the power is disconnected from the arduino? I didnt noticed this when you first released it since I just set the program and left it. Recently, I had to mess with the DS1302 as it starting to tell the wrong time. Repositioning the battery on the DS1302 would jump start the clock again, but a few seconds later it would slow down and stop time. I changed the battery on the DS1302 but that doesnt seem to work. I suspect if the power to the arduino is cut, the battery on the DS1302 would try to power the arduino until is runs out, which doesnt take long with that small button battery. Im ordering a DS1307 hoping this would fix my problem, but turning the arduino on and off lead to another problem

The program would partially save my settings, but not completely. The lighting program would be mostly saved, but I still have to make small changes whenever it power cycles. The colors for the different channel never seem to remember its setting. Its kind of frustrating to do this step every time the arduino restarts.

• Like 1

Wait, the battery actually ends up connected to the Arduino? I didn't think that would be a problem. Although I can't think of a solution for that. I have noticed some weird problems with DS1302 though, so that might be it.

The clock is normally powered off Arduino power anyway, so the clock should not slow down or stop while the Arduino is on. Check the clock with an example sketch to be sure.

I thought memory control for this version was pretty good, but apparently I was mistaken. Do the lost lighting values appear to be random every time, or is there a pattern like a shift to the right?

If it's just the colors for displaying the channel, I can't really help without doing a code rewrite. I neglected to add those because I thought it would be an uneeded extra. When I start work on this later I'll add it in.

disaster999

As far as the DS1302 goes, it seems that way. It still keeps time, but only with a perfect connection on the battery. the DS1302 gets super hot to the point it can burn you if you dont run it with the battery. Its been pretty weird lately. DS1307 is on order.

I noticed that lighting values doesnt completely save. Like my lighting curve would be mostly there, but I would still need to make some minor changes. Esp on the channels im not using. They would be all zero when I set them, then when I power cycle the arduino it recalls the precious setting which i find it very weird. Its not enough to bother me, since Im not using that channel, but if I am later down the line, this will be a problem

• Like 1