Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Meepduino: 2.0 RELEASED!

MeepNand

also another idea, the arduino has a 5v output which is taken up by the TFT shield, but would it not be possible to solder the DS1302 to the same pin for power? so the ds1302 would be in a parallel power circuit with the TFT?

That's what I did. I soldered a small piece of perfboard to the 5v pin on the Arduino and connected all the 5v devices to it like the temperature probes and ds1302. I did the same thing wit the ground.

I also used right angle headers on the perfboard to allow for fast connecting and disconnecting of devices.

Hey meep,

I am trying to get my controller running but have no idea how to download all the libraries, Code and such from the google page. Please help

• Like 1

First off, I recommend downloading from the googe docs page. That has the most up-to-date version from now on.

So here is how to download the libraries and sketch:

1. Close Arduino program. Make sure you have Arudino 1.5+ installed.

2. Download the .zip folder labeled "Touchscreen_controller_Revx_x_x".

3. Unzip the folder.

4. Unzip the folder in "Touchscreen_controller_Revx_x_x" labeled "libraries for x.x.x"

6. Select and drag all of the folders inside of "libraries for x.x.x" to your Arduino libraries folder. The address will be something like,

"C:/program files(x86)/Arduino 1.0.5/libraries"

7. Click and drag the .ino file in "Touchscreen_controller_Revx_x_x" into your Arduino folder under "My Documents".

8. Open the Arduino program and load the sketch labeled "Touchscreen_controller_Revx_x_x". If it says something about creating a folder, click "yes".

9. Upload.

meep, thanks for the directions. I am pretty sure I followed them to a "T". Files all upload correctly and all I have is a white screen on my controller. I was thinking I had it when it all uploaded. I have all my wiring matching your diagrams exactly. I have my drivers hooked up, only thing not attached would be my strings of LEDs. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Everything uploads, and only a white screen? And it compiled and uploaded without problem?

Are you certain you uploaded the sketch at all?

Did you connect the clock?

Meep, had a problem not being able to change the comm port on my home computer. I have it working. but my times keep flipping between three times. I have all the newest libraries from the newest google download page. Any input or advice would be helpful

EDIT: Hey man after turning on and off multiple times, I can say that when the controller is plugged to a wallwart it jumps between 3 times. When plugged in with a usb, it seems to work just fine. I am confused about why its acting like this...

• Like 1

Nope not just yours. Maybe I should try one of the older versions... Anyways I left it at the office over the weekend,

Thanks for all the help and work you put into this controller.

• Like 1

It still didn't work right with 1.5 and with the DS1302 example sketches, so that's a lot cause. I'll try a couple of capacitors across the input of the DS1302.

Meep. Have you seen the LDD boards on RC?

Yes. I considered it, but decided that buying them would cost too much.

Also, I enjoy making led drivers from scratch, instead of buying ready-made drivers. For instance, I finished desgining an LM3421 led driver yesterday. It operates in boost mode off of 12-24v DC and gets an average of 95% efficiency, and a maximum output of 60v. I can make 5 for only $63. That costs a bit more than LDDs, but it puts out 25% more volts and is more efficient, and I can run it off a $15 power supply on ebay.

word on the street is i will be getting my LEDs tomorrow...ill see if this kid keeps his word. i dont know when ill have the time to sit down and redo my entire light

• Like 1

Are you talking about me? I can release a 1.6 right now, but you'll still only have one temperature probe. I want to add a second before releasing it. I'm having a bug with my probes right now, but I will fix it tomorrow. The main display is better though.

what is the benefit of adding a second temperature probe? does it increase accuracy?

You just get to measure two different temperature. I can theoretically add as many as I want, but making the display for more than 2 will take longer and use more space.

Hey meep, any fix insight for my 3 times? Looking get this set up.

Truth be told, I haven't gotten around to it. I'll do it right. now.

Leaving the computer.

For sure.

Truth be told, I haven't gotten around to it. I'll do it right. now.

Leaving the computer.

For sure.

Hey meep, thanks for the time you put into this controller. I might have messed something up, I was trying to re upload the code into my board, now all I am getting is the evil white screen. I am not sure what I did wrong.

• Like 1

Hey meep, thanks for the time you put into this controller. I might have messed something up, I was trying to re upload the code into my board, now all I am getting is the evil white screen. I am not sure what I did wrong.

I tried a bit of capacitor work, putting it both ways across everything (data pin to sclk, rst to sclk, vin to gnd, pinson the IC, etc.) and nothing seems to work. I got a normal reading when I put it across SCLK and GND (or VCC2) for a second, but then it went bad again a few second later. If you have any 1uf or 10uf capacitors, try doing that and see if it does anything.

As for the white screen, reconnect the clock and see if that fixes it. This is meant to work with almost any combo of items.

In 1.6, I am adding an option to utilize the internal clock instead of using the clock and auto-detect if the clock is disconnected, as well as the aforementioned pump control and probes. The display and button-holding also works much better after I tried some new stuff yesterday.

I think a simple fix would be getting one of those cheap usb wall charger instead of a wallwart. Thats what im planning on doing when i actually get around installing my LED and controller.

• Like 1

I think a simple fix would be getting one of those cheap usb wall charger instead of a wallwart. Thats what im planning on doing when i actually get around installing my LED and controller.

That doesn't work for me. :(

I tried cellphone chargers and computer USB, but neither worked. Adding a capacitor across the output was also unhelpful.

It could be a power problem, with the screen taking up all the power so the clock power is bad. But it doesn't work with the basic sketches either.

its weird how you guys are getting all sorts of power problems...

stupid question but had to ask...you guys supplying 5v or higher with the wallwart?

• Like 1

I am using the one mentioned at the start of this thread. I have the end cut off and I soldered the wires to the bottom soldering of the power jack. Now I also have my RTC soldered into that same spot. Sharing the wallwart power between the arduino and the ds1302. If there is another way I should be wiring it please tell me(actually I need pictures to understand)

Another question, isn't there some of RTC out there we could try for this project? Any particular reason we are using this one? I have absolutely no knowledge of this stuff so if those were stupid questions I don't know.

Meep, are you saying that with the newer code release we will not have to use the ds1302, or any other RTC, that the arduino has a built in clock... Also you are talking pump control, is that going to be a simple on/off?

• Like 1

its weird how you guys are getting all sorts of power problems...

stupid question but had to ask...you guys supplying 5v or higher with the wallwart?

I use 5v. Technically though, I think the board might be able to function with 3.3v. Not sure if that would screw up the regulator though, so I'm not trying.

Come to think of it, I have yet to try using a 12v power supply or something. I might do that.

I am using the one mentioned at the start of this thread. I have the end cut off and I soldered the wires to the bottom soldering of the power jack. Now I also have my RTC soldered into that same spot. Sharing the wallwart power between the arduino and the ds1302. If there is another way I should be wiring it please tell me(actually I need pictures to understand)

Another question, isn't there some of RTC out there we could try for this project? Any particular reason we are using this one? I have absolutely no knowledge of this stuff so if those were stupid questions I don't know.

Meep, are you saying that with the newer code release we will not have to use the ds1302, or any other RTC, that the arduino has a built in clock... Also you are talking pump control, is that going to be a simple on/off?

That is exactly how you are supposed to wire. One member did something like that and posted pics, I forget who...

Anyway, on the RTC, I can try to swap out for a DS1307. Thank you so much for mentioning that; I actually have a DS1307 sitting in the closet right now that I can try out. As the code does not access some of the deeper functions of the library, and Henning (guy who made pretty much every library I use) uses the same "prefix" for all the DS1302 and DS1307 functions. And the functions are pretty much the same.

Hold on. I will try that out now. See if you can acquire a DS1307 in the meanwhile.

The reason behind using a DS1302 or any RTC is because the keep more accurate time than the built-in clock. The Arduino internal clock drifts by about 1 minute each day, so you would need to reset the time every week or so to prevent excessive drift.

Pump control: Simple on/off for now. You can set the minimum and maximum time on, with the time off being the same. As with almost everything, it's saved in the EEPROM.

Meep, I will hold off on trying to acquire the DS1307 till I know if it will work right with the controller. If it does work right then I will order or try to track one down. Let us know what comes of trying the ds1307

• Like 1