Cultivated Reef

SNG's Reef Tank. 10 months old 2/22/2015

slowngreen

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mandorin died too today. Guess I didnt quarantine him soon enough or the move stressed him too much. Really really sucks, down to just a chromis now. RIP Marvin Musquin.

llama roadkill
My mandorin died too today. Guess I didnt quarantine him soon enough or the move stressed him too much. Really really sucks, down to just a chromis now. RIP Marvin Musquin.

:( Sorry for your loss...

• 1 month later...

Been a month since my mandarin died. No sign of ick at all. Think I might stop by my lfs tomorrow and see about a new fish. No more ordering fish online for me.

• 4 weeks later...

My mandarins never got ich when all my fish did. When I upgraded to my 40br I let them in there first while I treated the rest of my fish for a month. Its been 6 months since my ich outbreak and my pair are going strong. Had the male for 8+ months, and the female for 6 months.

How long did you have your mandarin? He could've just died from starvation, was he eating frozen or pellets?

Thanks glenn, all the zoas I got from you have exploded! I need to do some fragging this weekend .

My mandarin was eating frozen brine and frozen pods, he seemed to eat well. I had him around 7 or 8 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Month 11. Quick picture. Tanks alittle dirty. Current livestock are reef chromis, bangaii card, clown, cleaner shrimp, scallop, emerald crab and 2 blue legged crabs.

IMAG0523.jpg

Looks terrific!

Thanks! Everything is growing very fast it seems. Ive trimmed back and given away some stuff too like the daisy. Still thinking this spring I may start up a 75 so everything has more room to keep growing.

• 2 weeks later...

Beats me... lol. the water runs down the mesh and grows algae taking the nitrates away from the water....I guess? Seem really effective for most but it doesnt make too much sense to me how it works lol.

Can't hurt and isn't taking anything extra really. My chaeto and other stuff does good but I wanna try this

Out too.

Looks good man. How do those work?

Beats me... lol. the water runs down the mesh and grows algae taking the nitrates away from the water....I guess? Seem really effective for most but it doesnt make too much sense to me how it works lol.

It's basically an area that has high concentrations of light, agitation, air, and surface area. The algae grows like mad on it. You need to put some there to get it started, it won't magically start growing just because you put the fixture there.

Archived