Cultivated Reef

SNG's Reef Tank. 10 months old 2/22/2015

slowngreen

Ok thanks Mark, I knew you would come through ;)

What types should I aim for? The place I go has a large selection of various sps frags.

Oh man, I would say whatever looks good to you. I would say if a piece catches your eye at the store and is reasonably priced then go for it.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I wanted to go in a new direction SO I did a full substrate swap on Sunday. Went 50/50 white and crushed coral. Only 40 lbs like before so its thin enough I can keep it clean easily. Added my black sand to my fuge.

Having light trouble so this is with only part of my t5's going, its alittle brighter but about the same color.

http://s183.photobucket.com/user/slowngreen/media/random%20stuff/IMAG0700.jpg.html'>IMAG0700.jpg

Think Im going to pull the trigger and get two EverGrow led setups. Alittle premature but you guys think I should plan on running a couple t5's with them?

How would I know if its "too" much light before bleaching? Best to just slowly brighten the leds over time? They are dim-able.

Yea, start out low and slowly ramp up. I have a PAR meter so I don't have to guess, but I have over 200 PAR hitting some LPS that like lower light and they are doing well, but I'm not sure why. Might be heavy daily feeding.

So I have 3 functioning t5's sockets and balist I can add to this...somehow. Should I try for just two of them and go one in front and one in back of the leds, keeping them centered across the tank? Not real sure how I would mount them though, would be pointless without the reflectors right?

Hopefully someone will chime in. Even though its only day 3, Im just wondering some stuff. I have all the leds on 20% and raised about 14" off the water. Everyone is opened, some, but not much. I dont see any color change as in maybe bleaching but would it be too soon to tell? I was wondering if maybe everyone is wanting more light and I should turn the lights up already?

Very hard to say. I ran My LED's at 100% blue, 50% white with no issues after converting from T5. Bleaching seems to take about a week unless it's really extreme, but again hard to say.

Im really not liking the color of the led's. Just makes everything looked washed out? I think thats what you would say. Sure some stuff really pops but everything else just looks like theres no contrast anymore. Really not sure what to do at this point. Might consider going back to t5's.

A mix is really the best. LED for shimmer, T5 for coverage. I can get the T4 look using the Maxspect Razors plus BuildMyLED strips to help increase the coverage.

Cool update! My plate coral that died like a month or more ago, which I even had out of the tank for Id say atleast one day? I put in my fuge just because and noticed a couple days ago it has pink flesh on it again!!! So I moved it to my display and its definitely alive again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Im so stoked! Crazy giveaway. I'll be starting a thread for it soon enough.

Updates on my 75....I removed my 40g sump/fuge so rid some evaporation. Going through 2.5g a day with fuge lighting always on. I am running 10g worth of sump now with no fuge. About a gallon a day now.

Also ordered some new led's to swap into my fixtures.

What what? What did you win?

I said T4 a few posts up. New bulb type. :)

I added some T5's t the front of my tank to add some color and help reduce shadows.

I won the big giveaway here Mark, 5g aio, led light and $300 gift card!

I was thinking t5 but posted a thread and was told the layout on my leds were why the color is all washed out. Have too many cool white and a lot more blue that royal blue. Gonna change some up, add more royal blue and warm white and see where I'm at. Still have bulbs but no fixture for t5. My leds are wide so I think if I added t5's a dual setup might be all I could add without blocking the leds.

Think 2 would change/add anything noticeable?

I won the big giveaway here Mark, 5g aio, led light and $300 gift card! I was thinking t5 but posted a thread and was told the layout on my leds were why the color is all washed out. Have too many cool white and a lot more blue that royal blue. Gonna change some up, add more royal blue and warm white and see where I'm at. Still have bulbs but no fixture for t5. My leds are wide so I think if I added t5's a dual setup might be all I could add without blocking the leds. Think 2 would change/add anything noticeable?

I just added 4, 2 on each side of a 72" tank, to a 150 gallon and it made a huge difference. So yes, I think just 2 bulbs with decent reflectors will really make a difference. So far I've tried Coral+, Coral+ (meh), Coral+, Blue+ (ack, too blue), and settled for now on Coral+, Purple+.

Congrats on the win, that is HUGE. I had no idea it was even going on ... I have this bad habit of only looking at threads I subscribe to and missing out on the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here it is with some more led swapping.

Running....

9 neutral

6 warm

5 red

2 green

26- 450-460

7-420

100% on whites,reds,green and 420's, 50% on blues...Pictures dont show much coral, I just finished the lights, turned them on and took the pics. I'll see tomorrow how everything looks open.

http://s183.photobucket.com/user/slowngreen/media/random%20stuff/IMAG0742.jpg.html'>IMAG0742.jpg

50% whites 35% blues.

http://s183.photobucket.com/user/slowngreen/media/random%20stuff/IMAG0743.jpg.html'>IMAG0743.jpg

the coloration looks good in the picture. LEDs are hard to gauge their intensity and watching the coral reaction is about the best way. Big difference in bleaching and fading. I have found that keeping a "test coral" helps a ton. I use a pink lemonade pocillapora. I can tell pretty quick if it's too much or not enough light based on the green in its base.

Archived