ReefCleaners.org

SNG's Reef Tank. 10 months old 2/22/2015

slowngreen

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Markalot, did you lose anything do to the power outage you had a little while back? All my acros have officially fully bleached from the rapid temp drop I got from a power outtage. With your experience, you think if everything stays stable now they might color back?

Hey Markalot, did you lose anything do to the power outage you had a little while back? All my acros have officially fully bleached from the rapid temp drop I got from a power outtage. With your experience, you think if everything stays stable now they might color back?

Ouch. How long was the power out and how low did it drop? When you say bleached, did they bleach but still have polyps, or lose skin?

If bleached then my best guess would be 2 to 4 weeks if all is stable. It can take longer, depending on the acro.

I didn't lose anything to the power outage, it only lasted just short of 3 hours and with a big tank the temp drop was slow. My 29 dropped a couple of degrees but nothing suffered.

It got down to 64*. They still appear to have skin although no polyp extension. I'll just try to keep it stable and cross my fingers.

• 3 weeks later...

My flower pot finally came out of my tank :(

He did very well for over a year then when I changed from black sand to white substrate he wouldnt extend much so I just tried to wait it out but he never came back.

Still waiting for some sign on my acros. Slight color change but still no polyp extension. Still looks like they have their.....skin?...as their not pure white, just a light tan color.

My flower pot finally came out of my tank :(

He did very well for over a year then when I changed from black sand to white substrate he wouldnt extend much so I just tried to wait it out but he never came back.

Still waiting for some sign on my acros. Slight color change but still no polyp extension. Still looks like they have their.....skin?...as their not pure white, just a light tan color.

Can you get any clear closeup pics of the acros?

For the flower pot, I doubt it. I kept my sand fully siphoned and no perams changed after words. My clown started hosting it around that same time, with I always wonder if that might be it but who knows. Then again, I remember when I got it people said they usually to good for 6 months then take a turn, so I guess it might have just been waiting to happen?

Mark, heres a pic. I have a feeling I dont wanna know.

http://s183.photobucket.com/user/slowngreen/media/random%20stuff/20141224_110721.jpg.html'>20141224_110721.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

:( bummer. Thanks Mark, appreciate it.

So I was re-looking at that picture and noticing the lack of algae or anything else growing on the rocks. Is your tank really that clean? Remember that ironically while acros like low nutrient water they also need a constant source of particulate food in the water. That might be an issue.

I still have it in my tank and its finally getting alittle algae on some of the tips. Its definately not too clean I wouldnt think. I feed pretty heavy and daily as well as spot feed all my coral twice a week with reef chili.

On another note, I moved this week and will be moving my tank either today or tomorrow. Wish me and it luck.

Move went perfect. Drained basically all of the water and removed most rock and coral. Had 80 gallons of newly mixed ro/di and reef crystals ready to go. So I was able to have the tank, stand and all equipment moved and every one back in the tank with all new water in about 30 minutes and one very sore back ;) ...

Used Reef Crystals as the place I had always ordered Kent salt from emailed me and said they quit selling it and I was already committed to moving so I ran to petsmart and RC is what they had. Not sure if its what I'll stick with or not yet but it did mix nicely.

Still some stuff closed up.

http://s183.photobucket.com/user/slowngreen/media/random%20stuff/001_1.jpg.html'>001_1.jpg

Whew, glad to hear the move went well!

I liked Kent as well but I switched to RC and probably won't switch back unless I have a really good reason.

Thanks Mark. I was paying $26 shipped for a 50g Kent jug. Paid $28 at Petsmart for 50g bag of RC. But the coral shop I go to in Boise sells RC 200g for $50 so I think I just might go ahead and stick with RC and just buy from him only. Also sells Redsea 200g bags for $55.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over 10 months old now. Change my bulb configuration one more time.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Hooked up my diy scrubber a couple weeks ago, its doing pretty good

005.jpg

Archived