Pod Your Reef

SNG's Reef Tank. 10 months old 2/22/2015

slowngreen

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maaaaan.... Now I want to go back to black sand. :(:(:( Is that the Hawaiian Black or the other Caribsea one? I'm really diggin the tank. I like someone who isn't afraid to go all out with the "cheap" softies. I think they're some of the best coral.

Love the new scape. The contrast with the black sand is awesome! I also like the new bulbs better, those ones you had just a while ago were making all those stunning corals the same color as the rocks :(

Love what you've done!!!!! :)

The sand is Caribsea something or other lol, I forget now. I went in thinking black would hide algae better.

Thanks DannaM, the lights that made it all look the same were from earlier today, two blue + and 2 purple +, didnt work out like others tanks seem too with that combo, maybe the black sand throws off the way the light travels or something, I dont know, but atleast the color are back now. In person though you dont see the coraline on the rocks very much with this setup....

Im not sure what else to try bulb wise, I love the blueness but miss the clear crisp look too. Bulbs cost so damn much its hard to experiment.

What would a 6500 in the mix in place of a 12k do?

The sand is Caribsea something or other lol, I forget now. I went in thinking black would hide algae better.

Ok, the same stuff in my fuge then. Looks a lot different under your lighting. The algae thing is true to an extent, you don't see diatom as easy but that depends a lot on your lighting as well. When I had Hawaiian Black under my par 38's the tank always had a very night-like feel to it and you couldn't see algae on it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah kinda odd how badly the new lights look compared to the stock 12000k's and actinics. I take a new fts tomorrow with it running 12000k, 2 blue +, 1 purple + and 2 actinic. The corals up close really pop under the new lights but doesnt look like much when you step back.

New lighting is perfect! You have one of the few reef tanks that I've seen pull of the black sand look succesfully. Too often you see grayish sand, bleached white rock, and overly blue lights that wash everything out and undoes the pop effect that you're going for in the first place. What all fish do you have in there?

Thanks you two. Thats an untouched cell pic too, promise. The colors are really good in person now.

I have a mandarin goby, zebra dart, yellow tail damsel and a yellow eye kole that is shy of the camera still.

Oh yeah? Ima have to try it and see what it does. I did them on Auto with the iso at 100, everything else is preset, says daylight on the white balance and all the image adjustments are all in teh middle.

Oh yeah? Ima have to try it and see what it does. I did them on Auto with the iso at 100, everything else is preset, says daylight on the white balance and all the image adjustments are all in teh middle.

I've found on all the roms and cameras I've tried on my phone setting it to cloudy or cloudly/daylight seems to get the best life like coloration, but that's with me trying to take pics under leds, which is a royal PITA. I normally open the iso as wide as I can as well.

But yeah, those pics you have have that same overblown, oversaturated, distorted look that the crappy hdr setting produces on cell phones. That distortion is from the camera taking three different images at different exposures and the individual images not matching up because the camera was moved during the process.

I tried it with the hdr and it sucked. I turned the saturation down a little but it doesnt actually match up with what the tank actually looks like, the pics from yesterday, although a bit more red that in person is just about how it actually looks with the light setup now.

Alittle more crisp pics would do it, not so much glow around edges.

Im going to stick with this light setup, should I replace the 12000k's? They are 6 months old 7 hours a day every day.

Archived