Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

If you ever need eggcrate, every home improvement store or light store should carry them. They are sold as light diffusers. Additionally, any reef store probably has some. Although they don't usually sell them if your a regular customer you should be able to get them to part with a piece for such as small tank.

Keep reading. ;) Ca, Alk, 8 Mg need to be kept in balance. Often you may find that when Alk is low, Ca is high. Stony corals will consume more. If your having trouble sustaining Ca & Alk at the saturation levels you require then you need to test for Mg because that would be an indication of low Mg. Generally you won't need to test Mg as often unless you have a problem. I bet more people test for Mg as a result of Tech M dosing for bryopsis then anything else. BRS has a good video explaining it all.

I know it's more of a cosmetic thing, but I wanted black :ninja: They only have white at Home Depot (haven't checked other stores) and online, after shipping it's stupid expensive (for what it is...)

Thanks for the info, i'll also check out that video. :)

I tested using the Hanna checkers again and got repeatable results. The Alk as well... I don't know why it's low, but I will do some more comparisons and testing when I mix up some more salt (probably this weekend)

Today VS yesterday for those who want to know:

Ca - 431 VS 427

dKH - 6.3 VS 6.4

PO4 - 0.03 VS 0.03

So this is looking good so far as for accuracy (as far as i can tell) Unfortunately I don't have other test kits to compare it to, but when I do the water change, this will give me a good indication VS the target salt levels.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good, but again I'd look into the source of your low Alk, which could be a number of things. Start by testing freshly mixed saltwater. What did you use for substrate? Your substrate often provides buffering. Also consider that your specific gravity is not what you think it is due to a calibration issue as a lower salt level will result in decrease levels of these minerals.

Black is obviously nicer I agree. BRS sells it cheap, however I don't know what shipping is like to you. One of those things I wouldn't order separately however for $12 or so adding it to other items makes sense.

Looks good, but again I'd look into the source of your low Alk, which could be a number of things. Start by testing freshly mixed saltwater. What did you use for substrate? Your substrate often provides buffering. Also consider that your specific gravity is not what you think it is due to a calibration issue as a lower salt level will result in decrease levels of these minerals.

Black is obviously nicer I agree. BRS sells it cheap, however I don't know what shipping is like to you. One of those things I wouldn't order separately however for $12 or so adding it to other items makes sense.

Well I just watched the BRS videos. It seems simple enough honestly. As long as you are testing and have a target in mind. I'm still not sure why Alk is low since nothing is in the tank yet. Oh well, water change should help.

The salt values are at SG 1.023 @ 77°F

pH - 8.1

Alk - 8.12dKH - 9.8dKH

Ca - 460 ppm

K - 380-400 ppm

Mg - 1250-1300 ppm

I run mine at SG 1.025 and 80°F so I should actually have higher values, no?

I am using CaribSea Fiji Pink Arag Alive! substrate. I have seen much success with this substrate, and it's the same Hype uses as well, not to mention countless other reefers.

My Refractometer was just calibrated a few days ago, and from the time I originally calibrated it (with solution may I add) it hasn't change even a hair.

I'm not going to stress over all this too much, unless maybe the Checker/Reagents are bad? I'll test freshly mixed saltwater when I do my water change. If i'm still getting low dKH readings, I will buy/try another test kit.

I have to agree about black looking snazzy :P I wish I picked some up with my last big BRS order, but the shipping is insane, and I only ordered there twice. Once for the dry rock, and another time for the RO/DI unit. My frag rack looks nice in its new home :happy: I'll take pics once i get my lamp in to show 'The Whole Package' Speaking of the Par38 Lamp, still nothing. It's now at 17 days since I ordered. This is ridiculous...

Well I just watched the BRS videos. It seems simple enough honestly. As long as you are testing and have a target in mind. I'm still not sure why Alk is low since nothing is in the tank yet. Oh well, water change should help.

pH - 8.1

Alk - 8.12dKH - 9.8dKH

Ca - 460 ppm

K - 380-400 ppm

Mg - 1250-1300 ppm

I am using CaribSea Fiji Pink Arag Alive! substrate. I have seen much success with this substrate, and it's the same Hype uses as well, not to mention countless other reefers.

My Refractometer was just calibrated a few days ago, and from the time I originally calibrated it (with solution may I add) it hasn't change even a hair.

I'm not going to stress over all this too much, unless maybe the Checker/Reagents are bad? I'll test freshly mixed saltwater when I do my water change. If i'm still getting low dKH readings, I will buy/try another test kit.

I have to agree about black looking snazzy :P I wish I picked some up with my last big BRS order, but the shipping is insane, and I only ordered there twice. Once for the dry rock, and another time for the RO/DI unit. My frag rack looks nice in its new home :happy: I'll take pics once i get my lamp in to show 'The Whole Package' Speaking of the Par38 Lamp, still nothing. It's now at 17 days since I ordered. This is ridiculous...

Jordon, I nominated you for TOTM. ;) Get something in your tank already!

I wouldn't think your reagents are bad, if they were you wouldn't be getting a consistent test result. Test freshly mixed saltwater and see if you can get similar results as what the package is labeled. I switched from Seachem salt because it had low Alk and high Ca on freshly mixed saltwater. It just wasn't balanced. With Red Sea Pro, I can match the stated levels with my Salifert kits.

17 days and no where in sight? Cancel the order and move on.

Jordon, I nominated you for TOTM. ;) Get something in your tank already!

I wouldn't think your reagents are bad, if they were you wouldn't be getting a consistent test result. Test freshly mixed saltwater and see if you can get similar results as what the package is labeled. I switched from Seachem salt because it had low Alk and high Ca on freshly mixed saltwater. It just wasn't balanced. With Red Sea Pro, I can match the stated levels with my Salifert kits.

17 days and no where in sight? Cancel the order and move on.

LMAO about TOTM.

With my tank not being stocked, I started to think i'm cursed. The fish I want, out of stock, the corals I want, can't QT. The LFS I visit, garbage... QT Tank, delayed... And in a few weeks i'll be out of town on a course so I don't want to get corals, and just have them there for a week without me able to do water changes (no live rock in QT) :(

This weekend I plan to do a water change. Just no time during the week really. I'll test then again. If it's the salt, i'll be swithing fo' sho.

I would cancel the order at this point, but just yesterday it was finally updated saying it passed customs clearance and is now in 'CANADA' Where in Canada? Who knows... Seriously USPS sucks balls - at least for deliveries outside of the US. Hopefully I get it by the end of the week, but either way, I won't be able to do a coral order until I get back from my course...

I don't necessarily blame LEDTRiC for the shipping fiasco, as it is beyond their control. BUT - If a shipping company they are using is this bad, they need to change.

pH - 8.1

Alk - 8.12dKH - 9.8dKH

Ca - 460 ppm

K - 380-400 ppm

Mg - 1250-1300 ppm

Did you calibrate your refractometer to natural sea water?

I understand most are calibrated using a brine solution. Check this out

Maybe it's something to consider regarding your low alk?

I use 35ppt Salinity Calibration fluid by Aquacraft. It's specifically for Refractometers, so I don't think it's that. I use a BRS Refractometer which has great reviews.

I'll give that a read though. ;)

How can USPS suck balls for deliveries outside the US? They drop it off at customs then it is up to the Canadian post to deliver lol

How can USPS suck balls for deliveries outside the US? They drop it off at customs then it is up to the Canadian post to deliver lol

USPS sucks balls for deliveries inside the US. They do, at least, in my region.

LMAO about TOTM.

With my tank not being stocked, I started to think i'm cursed. The fish I want, out of stock, the corals I want, can't QT. The LFS I visit, garbage... QT Tank, delayed... And in a few weeks i'll be out of town on a course so I don't want to get corals, and just have them there for a week without me able to do water changes (no live rock in QT) :(

This weekend I plan to do a water change. Just no time during the week really. I'll test then again. If it's the salt, i'll be swithing fo' sho.

I would cancel the order at this point, but just yesterday it was finally updated saying it passed customs clearance and is now in 'CANADA' Where in Canada? Who knows... Seriously USPS sucks balls - at least for deliveries outside of the US. Hopefully I get it by the end of the week, but either way, I won't be able to do a coral order until I get back from my course...

I don't necessarily blame LEDTRiC for the shipping fiasco, as it is beyond their control. BUT - If a shipping company they are using is this bad, they need to change.

USPS is the only carrier in the USA that I know of that will not charge you duty fees at the boarder. They always pass off to Canada Post. Takes forever but saves you money in many cases. Don't let UPS ship from the USA, you will pay duty in many cases. Average shipping time from my experience is 2-3 weeks if it doesn't get held up in customs.

Christine

It sucks as it took 17 days to get to the border. That is what sucks about them. What the hell are they doing anyways, sending packages by bicycle?!

USPS sucks balls for deliveries inside the US. They do, at least, in my region.

I've only ever had problems with them and UPS.

USPS is the only carrier in the USA that I know of that will not charge you duty fees at the boarder. They always pass off to Canada Post. Takes forever but saves you money in many cases. Don't let UPS ship from the USA, you will pay duty in many cases. Average shipping time from my experience is 2-3 weeks if it doesn't get held up in customs.

Christine

Good advice. Advice that I could have used when I started online shopping many years ago :P I think it'll be okay for duty as it's value is less than $100 which Customs don't usually bother with.

I usually don't mind waiting a bit for packages, but this is pretty bad. Still hasn't been updated yet today, so I have no idea if its enroute, or just sitting there collecting dust.

Purolator is my absolute favourite for shipping (Canada)

I highly highly doubt it took USPS 17 days to take a package inside the US and drop it off at customs. There is a difference between USPS taking 2-5 days to get it to customs and having it sit in customs for weeks.

They are all each others biggest customers, so relatively all the same. Except ups and fx will charge 5x as much.

Anyway, are you going to a new lfs this weekend?

I highly highly doubt it took USPS 17 days to take a package inside the US and drop it off at customs. There is a difference between USPS taking 2-5 days to get it to customs and having it sit in customs for weeks.

Well whether it was sitting there, or in transit, it didn't help that there were no updates in the tracking. Either way, I just received the light yesterday! Woo-hoo!

I've had pretty good experiences with all carriers including USPS, UPS, & FedEx. Even DHL back in the day.

Well that makes one of us! It's 50/50 for me. Either great, or terrible. Nothing in-between.

They are all each others biggest customers, so relatively all the same. Except ups and fx will charge 5x as much.

Anyway, are you going to a new lfs this weekend?

I won't be going to any LFS until I get back from my trip. I am way too busy at work, and now I am working 6 days a week. :o When I get back toward the beginning of May, i'll be ordering online, and visiting some other LFS ;)

Glad to hear the Ca checker is working for you! It's the only Hanna tool, I won't use. :)

From what I can tell. I'll be performing a water change this weekend, which will give me a chance to play around some more. So far at the least, it has been consistent, which is always a plus! :lol:

Usps does not provide real time updates for most services... In case u didn't know that.

That sucks that u have to Wait longer. U sure are patient!

I am in anguish waiting for this tank to mature, yet there's no coral yet.

Canada is cold, northerly, expensive. We know. But you have built a suspense like no other. Stock this dang thing!! I need at least 15 to 47 new pieces by Sunday. Yes, Need.

I'll settle for pictures of the rest of your pad, I want to see the TV, It has to rival that monitor well.

Usps does not provide real time updates for most services... In case u didn't know that.

That sucks that u have to Wait longer. U sure are patient!

Patience is running thin!!! It's really killing me :( Good news, is I was able to budget a nice amount for some corals. No huge colonies or anything, but it will be a start.

I am in anguish waiting for this tank to mature, yet there's no coral yet.

Canada is cold, northerly, expensive. We know. But you have built a suspense like no other. Stock this dang thing!! I need at least 15 to 47 new pieces by Sunday. Yes, Need.

I'll settle for pictures of the rest of your pad, I want to see the TV, It has to rival that monitor well.

I know what you mean shane. Hopefully my rock is packed with lots of nitrifying bacteria. Good thing is through my testing parameters/salinity are stable, which is very important for SPS (what I plan to stock) so although theres nothing really in the tank, at least we can say it's maturing nicely :P (mature=stable)

Ya, sorry for all my complaining lately. I'm getting just as frustrated as you guys waiting...

Yeesh! I would go broke stocking that much at once. I get back from my business trip in the second week of May. So the moment I get back, I plan to place and order for delivery that week!

Pics hmmm... Well i'll see what I can do. ;)

vht3fa.jpg

Introduction

This is a BONUS ROUND tank journal for my Coral Quarantine tank "Remorbis"

The Name

Remorbis is a pseudo word from two latin words merged together. Regenerō and Morbus. Regenerō meaning: to heal, regenerate; and Morbus meaning: Disease. Being that this is a Quarantine tank specifically for corals, these two words merge together to Cure disease, rid of pests and Regenerate tissue. This will be a safe temporary haven for new arrivals before reaching their destination: Nitoralis.

History

Seeing many reefers constantly dealing with outbreaks of pests and disease causing entire colonies of corals to be decimated and causing complete tear-downs of systems, I felt it to be a top priority to do my due diligence to make sure any new purchases o corals to be thoroughly inspected, dipped, and quarantined for a period of two weeks prior to placing them in my display.

Although nothing can be 100% in this hobby. I will do my best to prevent any disasters before they strike.

Equipment
  • Tank - 5.5g AGA
  • Lighting - LEDTRiC Par38 Full Spectrum Plus
  • Heater - Cobalt Aquatics 50w Neo-Therm
  • Circulation & Filtration - AquaClear 50
  • Filtration Media - TBD

Photos to come shortly.

Photos as promised...

2a6k1af.jpg

33opdsx.jpg

346m7hk.jpg

ixzic1.jpg

dz9jcz.jpg

Why do you have to be so cool with your names haha. "Tristan's PicO" isn't exactly a game changer lol.

Because I spend too much time planning, and not enough time stocking! :P

Very cool, looks suitable for display! I have to admit frag rack looks very nice but only about 10% of my frags I purchase actually come on plugs - which is why I just went with egg crate I already had on hand. Do you plan on transferring yours to plugs or just putting on top of the rack?

Again, wish I had an AC50 as opposed to an AC70. I've got things going where the AC70 isn't too much flow on reduced mode however it doesn't fit on the side of the tank as I would have liked. I thought I planned this out but apparently not well enough. Do you find that your AC50 makes noise? Especially since you said it's going in the bedroom.

Archived