Coral Vue Hydros

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

I have chaeto growing really well in a small fuge for my 12 g with just a simple white Marineland LED submersible strip but I attached it to the lid of fuge. It is working really well. I have to throw out a melon size ball every two weeks of chaeto. It harbors lots of pods, little stars, snails, etc. It is easy to grow (for me and I am sure most people) and I do not do anything special for as far as flow, tumbling or intense light.

Good luck! :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know. I know the majority of my Nitrate is from my feeding to start the cycle, and the fact that I was dosing ZEOfood7 for a bit as well. I'll be keeping my eye on it, but think I may try chaeto. I'll see if my LFS has it on Sunday. Besides, maybe i'll get a few pods in the mix :)

As for the test kits. I am using the ELOS Nitrate one, which does 0,1,2.5,5,10,25 Do you know of any other kits that can test lower more accurate amounts between lest say 0-5?

Sorry, I've never had the desire to test at this level so I wouldn't know.

Whoops, that was a spelling error... MY BAD.

No problem, when I first read your post I thought you were speaking of a chemical remover or some sort until I reread your post.

Just the reason i'm asking is I have read so many different points of view that it needs strong light, it needs no light, it needs to tumble, it doesn't need to tumble ... blah blah. I'm just trying to get some honest answers.

Thanks You :) I'll have to see what I can come up with, as this would be in one of my back overflows. I would prefer a small submersible light, which I have seen around. Looks like more research needed. Thanks for the response.

You can turn it once a month and it will be fine. A small submersible light will sustain it, but what you really want is exponential growth because that is the only way you will be able to have an impact on nitrates and phosphates with chaeto. Make sure you inspect your chaeto well because while it most likely will be crawling with pods, it could harbor nasties as well. Honestly, I don't think you have a large enough chamber to run chaeto and if you wanted to run chaeto, that would needed to have been considered in the design stages of your tank to include a refugium. Now your only options would be a sump or a HOB, but frankly I just think you need to practice good methods such as limiting food and being Johnny on the spot with those water changes.

Did I mention a hundred times already that I rarely, rarely feed my fish? or CUC? I feed my corals only and the rest would be considered the exception. My fish are all healthy, active, and have beautiful colors.

Wishing you luck with the decibel level of your AC50 in your bedroom. You might end up divorced.

I would prefer a small submersible light, which I have seen around.

I bought this light from inTank. I'll let you know how well it works, I'll be using it to grow Chaeto in my AquaClear110 w/ InTank media box. Eventually I will be replacing it with a high intensity DIY LED grow light, but until then I hope this works.

I bought this light from inTank. I'll let you know how well it works, I'll be using it to grow Chaeto in my AquaClear110 w/ InTank media box. Eventually I will be replacing it with a high intensity DIY LED grow light, but until then I hope this works.

Hello all. I used the light you link to above. I really liked it. It is great for small spaces. A word of caution with that light. My light started burning out bulbs every month after about three months. I think the seal around the wire that goes to the bulb loosened and it leaked a slight amount of moisture into the bulb space. I saw condensation on the inside of the glass dome. Be VERY careful when handling the light not to loosen that seal. Had I known I may have dolloped some marine safe silicone on that seal. It may have prolonged the life of the light.

I switched to a submersible white LED strip from Marinland and it grows chaeto really well. However it would not fit into the media basket for the AC110. My fuge is bigger so it accommodates the LED strip.

Good luck!

Sorry, I've never had the desire to test at this level so I wouldn't know.

I was looking around yesterday and couldn't find anything that tests very low for Nitrate, only Nitrite. I suppose anything under 10 is okay, but we are always going to aim for 0 or close to. Thanks.

No problem, when I first read your post I thought you were speaking of a chemical remover or some sort until I reread your post.

Haha, yup never heard of that 'cXaeto' :P Sounds like a cool name for a chemical filtration that uses some sort of Chaeto substitute (patent pending) :P

You can turn it once a month and it will be fine. A small submersible light will sustain it, but what you really want is exponential growth because that is the only way you will be able to have an impact on nitrates and phosphates with chaeto. Make sure you inspect your chaeto well because while it most likely will be crawling with pods, it could harbor nasties as well. Honestly, I don't think you have a large enough chamber to run chaeto and if you wanted to run chaeto, that would needed to have been considered in the design stages of your tank to include a refugium. Now your only options would be a sump or a HOB, but frankly I just think you need to practice good methods such as limiting food and being Johnny on the spot with those water changes.

Thanks for the tips. I will see if my LFS has it, and may give it a shot. I guess if I kill it, it won't be a huge investment lost :P Yes, my chamber is quite small (5"x3"x10") I'll have to keep an eye out for nasties. If I don't get my light this week (I have received the AC50 and Heater though!), I may set up the QT tank anyways, and just have that in there checking for anything I don't want. I'm sure I could always fire up an incandescent lamp near it for light.

I didn't really consider chaeto at all TBH. But I am always interested in more natural filtration approaches. I figure the main thing is find the source of my 'problem' but I don't reeally consider this to be an ongoing problem, as i'm pretty sure of what my source of this was, as I mentioned in my previous posts.

Did I mention a hundred times already that I rarely, rarely feed my fish? or CUC? I feed my corals only and the rest would be considered the exception. My fish are all healthy, active, and have beautiful colors.

Nice, I usually hear the opposite. People not feeding corals, and only feeding fish. You seem to have much success this way. I plan to rarely feed fish as well. Maybe a few times a week. I am not really into this feeding 3 times of day bull- I have also picked up some "coral food" from Fauna Marin, and will try that.

Wishing you luck with the decibel level of your AC50 in your bedroom. You might end up divorced.

LOL, Hopefully it's not that bad!

Nice, please do report back :D

Hello all. I used the light you link to above. I really liked it. It is great for small spaces. A word of caution with that light. My light started burning out bulbs every month after about three months. I think the seal around the wire that goes to the bulb loosened and it leaked a slight amount of moisture into the bulb space. I saw condensation on the inside of the glass dome. Be VERY careful when handling the light not to loosen that seal. Had I known I may have dolloped some marine safe silicone on that seal. It may have prolonged the life of the light.

I switched to a submersible white LED strip from Marinland and it grows chaeto really well. However it would not fit into the media basket for the AC110. My fuge is bigger so it accommodates the LED strip.

Good luck!

Good to know, thanks so much for your feedback! I wouldn't mind trying out a submersible LED as well, just to know. I heard success with both, and failure with both. I think it always has to do with more than just the light though (maybe in cases of being unsuccessful, the chaeto was starving - no nutrients?)

An entire strip woudn't fit (well maybe sideways) but we'll see.

Bummer about the seal leaking though. I suppose with a bendable strip I could curl it around the chaeto for full coverage as well. I better start planning this out :P

jedimasterben

For chaeto to grow well, it needs strong and even lighting. This is usually accomplished by 'tumbling' or manually rotating it very often. If you do not, it will start to break apart into little bits, this is how chaeto goes 'sexual', instead of releasing spores like caulerpa or other macros. I experience this in my refugium, which is massive. As soon as the chaeto starts to fill up the area and it becomes more difficult to light evenly, it starts breaking up and I get little chaeto bits in my tank.

Jordon,

For low NO3 testing, which I believe you asked for, the NEW Red Sea NO3 kit is highly recommended. Tests between 0-4ppm.

Christine also uses this, and has some pics and info on her thread.

Jordon,

For low NO3 testing, which I believe you asked for, the NEW Red Sea NO3 kit is highly recommended. Tests between 0-4ppm.

+1 I actually recently picked this up myslef as I wanted more precise measurement than API offers. It's pretty straight forward and is easy to read. Mine measured out at about 0.3 ppm when I last tested. That was before I started my Prodibio dosing. I should probably retest since it's been a week and a half since my first dosing.

For low nitrate, Red sea pro, Salifert, or Lamotte 3110

I haven't used either but what I read people prefer LaMotte, then Red Sea Pro, then Salifert in this test.

I've been busy but I normally feed a liquid something 1x or 2x / week and Mysis 2x week. The liquid I put right in the tank but Mysis I target feed everything.

For chaeto to grow well, it needs strong and even lighting. This is usually accomplished by 'tumbling' or manually rotating it very often. If you do not, it will start to break apart into little bits, this is how chaeto goes 'sexual', instead of releasing spores like caulerpa or other macros. I experience this in my refugium, which is massive. As soon as the chaeto starts to fill up the area and it becomes more difficult to light evenly, it starts breaking up and I get little chaeto bits in my tank.

Ah good to know. I guess that's why I have heard light as well as tumbling, but it's the combination that gets good results. Thanks Ben!

Jordon,

Thanks for the info Bello. If Chrstine uses it, it must be good :happy:

+1 I actually recently picked this up myslef as I wanted more precise measurement than API offers. It's pretty straight forward and is easy to read. Mine measured out at about 0.3 ppm when I last tested. That was before I started my Prodibio dosing. I should probably retest since it's been a week and a half since my first dosing.

I will look into that. As I plan to keep SPS, I am looking to keep Nitrates and Phosphates very low. The Red Sea Pro kit sounds exactly what I am looking for.

For low nitrate, Red sea pro, Salifert, or Lamotte 3110

I haven't used either but what I read people prefer LaMotte, then Red Sea Pro, then Salifert in this test.

I've been busy but I normally feed a liquid something 1x or 2x / week and Mysis 2x week. The liquid I put right in the tank but Mysis I target feed everything.

I never actually heard of Lamotte. I will look into that too. When it comes to test kits, I generally look at a few dozen individuals reviews and experiences, then make up my own mind. It's always good to have options.

What is the liquid you feed? Is that your coral food? Care to share? :D

Ah good to know. I guess that's why I have heard light as well as tumbling, but it's the combination that gets good results. Thanks Ben!

Thanks for the info Bello. If Chrstine uses it, it must be good :happy:

I will look into that. As I plan to keep SPS, I am looking to keep Nitrates and Phosphates very low. The Red Sea Pro kit sounds exactly what I am looking for.

I never actually heard of Lamotte. I will look into that too. When it comes to test kits, I generally look at a few dozen individuals reviews and experiences, then make up my own mind. It's always good to have options.

What is the liquid you feed? Is that your coral food? Care to share? :D

smoothie, phyto, etc.

Good news everyone!

Nitrates have dropped a bit. So before water change they were 25, after 50% water change they dropped to 10, and after testing today, they are now 5.

I am chalking this to Zeostart3, but I have also added Purigen and Carbon on Monday, so those may have help a bit I suppose. This is good news :D

I have been dosing 1 drop of Zeostart3 every day, and 1 drop of Zeobak every other day.

Good news everyone!

Nitrates have dropped a bit. So before water change they were 25, after 50% water change they dropped to 10, and after testing today, they are now 5.

I am chalking this to Zeostart3, but I have also added Purigen and Carbon on Monday, so those may have help a bit I suppose. This is good news :D

I have been dosing 1 drop of Zeostart3 every day, and 1 drop of Zeobak every other day.

What are you filtering? ;)

What are you filtering? ;)

I'm preparing... :lol:

Bro I bet he totally has... like a micro snail in there.

Jordon! Put! A! Coral! In!

Well tomorrow is Friday and I still don't have my Par38 from LEDTRiC. :( If I can't QT my corals, I won't be getting any until I get the light. That's not to say life won't be in this tank this weekend though...

Hey J....

I know your gonna qt your corals and fish. But may I suggest you getting a couple inverts so you have something pooping in the tank

Hey J.... I know your gonna qt your corals and fish. But may I suggest you getting a couple inverts so you have something pooping in the tank

That's what I am planning to get this Saturday. I think I won't be QT fish and only because I may just have one. Inverts this weekend (depending on stock) I am not settling that's for sure. ;)

Hey I'm just sayin! I'm filtering from die off but u have nothing to filter so that is why i question. To each his own!

Well I have rinsed the Filter Pad I have in there every few days and quite a bit of junk is being pulled from the water column. Nothing too nasty (most of that is gone from my WT) But enough to make me appreciate that I added filtration right now. I want to make sure my water is as stable as i can get it at this point for adding livestock :)

I know how you may be confused though, as I don't really have anything in the tank, but it's more of a preventative measure ;)

What inverts are you hoping to see at your LFS? :D

I'm hoping to see a semi-smaller Blood Shrimp. I would like it to grow in the tank (no particular reason, just for me!) I have really battled around skunk cleaner and Blood Shrimp, but have decided on Blood. They are quite shy from what I have heard, but I just love the colors! Even if I only see him/her for a little bit at a time :)

Other than that, I would really like to get a TailSpot Blenny. I checked if my LFS has a mated pair of Neon Gobies, but they didn't. I absolutely love the TSB though, and that's a for sure thing.

I would also like to get one or two porcelain/anemone crabs as well. I may have feed them as there isn't much particulate matter in the tank as they are filter feeders.

I want to check out other inverts such as other shrimp, and maybe a few snails. I prefer not to have too many though. I think 3 or 4 tops. I have a list somewhere of snails I chose a few months back when I did that research :P

Lots of people Skip qt if they only get one or two fish.

Ya I thought this one through (probably over-thought, as I do with everything!) but have to agree there. One or two fish, not worth the time IMO. If I was stocking more, I would definitely QT. It never hurts, but in this case I rather not.

Shrimp-wise I think the Fire/Blood Shrimp is much nicer looking then the Skunk (deeper, richer red.) Shrimp are great to watch, some of my favorite inverts for sure. If they have them, check out the Coral Banded Shrimp (especially the blue ones,) sexy anenome, pederson, and harlequin shrimp (harlys only eat starfish!) Porcelein crabs are sick, as are Pom Pom Crabs - I'd snatch up a pair if you see them. If you're a crab guy. You seem like a crab guy.

You're putting acros in this tank right? Think about maybe some acro crabs? I'm a sucker for symbiotic relationships in home aquaria.

Okay so I was curious, and figured I would test my RO/DI and Tap water for Nitrates. The reason being (besides being bored) was this is run-off season here in Alberta and the water processing uses more Chloramines to treat the water, so generally the water isn't quite as high in quality.

The EPA (US) and Health Canada (Canada) have guidelines for allowable Nitrate. It happens to be the same - 10mg/L or 10ppm (same) Canada works a bit differently and allows each province to set their own guidelines. As far as I am aware, most if not all provinces seem to use the 10ppm "guideline"

Anyways, I am happy to report that both my RO/DI and tap water have 0 Nitrates. At least what is recorded on my ELOS Nitrate test kit. Yay!

First image RO/DI, and second is tap. The results are identical. The second image has a bit of a fog to it as the tap water was a little warmer.

2wqvbsy.jpg

2h3bxhs.jpg

Shrimp-wise I think the Fire/Blood Shrimp is much nicer looking then the Skunk (deeper, richer red.) Shrimp are great to watch, some of my favorite inverts for sure. If they have them, check out the Coral Banded Shrimp (especially the blue ones,) sexy anenome, pederson, and harlequin shrimp (harlys only eat starfish!) Porcelein crabs are sick, as are Pom Pom Crabs - I'd snatch up a pair if you see them. If you're a crab guy. You seem like a crab guy.

You're putting acros in this tank right? Think about maybe some acro crabs? I'm a sucker for symbiotic relationships in home aquaria.

I agree. I know the skunk has a bit more 'personality' but the Fire/Blood shrimp is so pretty :wub:

I will be getting Pedersons/Anemone shrimp as well, but feel I should wait until I have some corals, otherwise they may get a bit stressed. Haha I seem like a crab guy?! LOL. Well, I do like them crabbies. Non-agressive though... Pom Pom are cute.

Acros yes. How many, maybe one , maybe more? I don't know yet, but would love an acro crab. You read my mind.

I have to keep some things left to the imagination :P

Canada has good water, well western Canada anyway. They just started putting chlorine in our water last month, we had the best water in Canada in our small town, so much for that.

Christine

Canada has good water, well western Canada anyway. They just started putting chlorine in our water last month, we had the best water in Canada in our small town, so much for that.

Christine

Very true. I have to say that right now I am disappointed in the quality though. I have lived here all my life and experienced the dreaded 'runoff season' but this year is exceptionally bad. I won't even drink the water. I guess I am also highly sensitive to the smell and taste, but for now Dasani is my friend :P

I just wanted to post saying how amazing the service at Aquariums West is. It's a small Canadian store/online shop in Vancouver that carries mostly an assortment of Planted tanks and accessories. I ordered an ADA Thermometer, after AngelFins sent me the wrong one.

I seen that shipping was coming up at over $30 for a thermometer, which I thought was "off" to say the least so decided to email them. I received a response not even 20 minutes later saying basically that it was a glitch and they agreed that it was extremely frustrating.

Not only did they offer to ship it to me for free, but are also giving me a free "Book of ADA" I know it's all planted tanks, but damn this is as good as porn for us Aquarists... :P

The owner responded to my emails, and I just had to mention it! It's so rare to find truly amazing customer service!

Archived