inTank Media Baskets

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is the fixture so big though? Seems like a lot of unneeded material on the sides.

Its build that way for cooling. Instead of having a fan on all the time the whole fixture acts as one large heatsink keeping temps under control.

You know what this means? New camera time!

:)

I am waiting on my tax return :ninja:

Deleted User 4

Why is the fixture so big though? Seems like a lot of unneeded material on the sides.

It's for the aesthetic, unique and sleekish look I think. Looks appealing IMO.

Your picture taking skills blow me away every time... I don't even want to think about when you start adding livestock.

Thanks :) Really the camera does all the work :P I can't wait to take some photos of something actually ALIVE! haha

Yeah no kidding. Makes me not want to pull out my D90 :lol::lol:

Aww come on! Really, the pics aren't amazing or anything. Did you see Hype's photos?! Now that is something to talk about :P

lol im using an iPhone -_-

Do you want a DSLR? I haven't tried to take pics with my iPhone, but when I get some livestock, maybe i'll do a comparison/tutorial to help you out :)

As Tristan said, it's so it can act as a big heatsink. There are fans, but mine haven't come on once. It isn't even warm to the touch at what i'm running it at.

I think the controller is built into the unit too, right?

That's right. It was nice not to have to shell out anything extra for a controller. It's simple though. Just sunrise/sunset with 6 time points if you want to control intensity/have moonlight etc..

Do you want a DSLR? I haven't tried to take pics with my iPhone, but when I get some livestock, maybe i'll do a comparison/tutorial to help you out :)

Yes i do, and have for a long time haha. Ive been looking around for a used canon T3i but since i am getting a bit of cash from taxes this year i may step it up and get the T4i. The iphone does an admirable job for a phone i will give it that, but no matter how hard i try my pics all come out less than stellar.

Yes i do, and have for a long time haha. Ive been looking around for a used canon T3i but since i am getting a bit of cash from taxes this year i may step it up and get the T4i. The iphone does an admirable job for a phone i will give it that, but no matter how hard i try my pics all come out less than stellar.

I hear you. It really just comes down to the colours, and how LED's seem to be represented and processed. Damn us reefers and our blue LED's!

You will love the T3i! I say get whichever one is a better deal. To say, if the T4i was only 20-50 bucks more, I would probably go for that. I got my T2i on sale right before the T4i came out and couldn't be happier. Pretty much T2i=T3i anyways. The T4i tags on a few additional features mostly related to Auto Focusing, and the T5i just improves upon those features (although, not that much :P

My gf has a T2i and she lets me use it here and there but never long enough to get a decent shot haha. It really does all come down to how good of a deal i can get it for.

Jordon, your MP10 has quieted down because it finally developed it's slime layer.

Also, you better get your QT tank stocked because I'm tired of looking at your empty PicO! lol

I think I saw some dust on top of your Razor, you better get it cleaned you anal retentive dude! lol!

Happy reefing! Keep the updates coming.

My gf has a T2i and she lets me use it here and there but never long enough to get a decent shot haha. It really does all come down to how good of a deal i can get it for.

I think it's time for it to go "missing" for a while...

Oh man. I missed this tank! Solid work there, very nice tank

this tank isnt even real life :P

Haha not sure if you mean "Out of this world awesome" or the fact that there is no real life in my tank yet :lol: Haha!

Jordon, your MP10 has quieted down because it finally developed it's slime layer.

Also, you better get your QT tank stocked because I'm tired of looking at your empty PicO! lol

I think I saw some dust on top of your Razor, you better get it cleaned you anal retentive dude! lol!

Happy reefing! Keep the updates coming.

Gotta love that slime layer. I was a bit worried when I did the vinegar dip for that purpose, but it seems that the slime is where it needs to be haha. I'll be going this Sunday to look at corals. I am for sure stocking some inverts and maybe a fish, but a lot of this depends if I get my light in and filter/heater this week or not. If I don't have those items, I essentially have a tank with nothing -_-

Haha that dust! The flash extenuates it, it looks perfectly spotless in real. But I try to "dust" it with a microfiber cloth ever week.

Great work! I am on the edge of my seat to see what you will get first. :)

Me too! I am at the mercy of USPS and UPS right now waiting for the equipment for my QT, so if that comes in, and my LFS has some good choices for coral, for sure I will be getting some!

It's a compliment :]

LMAO. I love that one. :happy: Ya I was at work and there is no spellcheck :ninja: "Why is this happening to me?!" Haha

haha love this build man. i wanna see more everyday :lol:

If only i had more going on with the tank!

So tested params today. I did a 50% water change yesterday to get rid of some nasty detritus and help lower nitrates. These are the results.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0.05

Nitrate: 10 (was 25)

So I think from my extensive cleaning and literally stirring all of the sand bed I had a mini-cycle :P After the water change the water smelled a bit like death lol. It's all gone today, and smells nice and fresh, but it's nice to see that any ammonia that was there yesterday (causing the slight odour) is gone now and converted to Nitrite. It must have been a very small amount though. Thank you Nitrifying bacteria!

I think I will do another water change towards the end of the week to hopefully rid my system if the remaining Nitrates from the cycle.

I have stopped "feeding" the tank, and also stopped dosing ZEOfood7 about a week back.

I have added Purigen and carbon to filtration as well as a new filter floss pad as of yesterday. This should help with the organics before they can break down to Ammonia>Nitrite>Nitrate, and Carbon as well to absorb odour and help with water clarity and absorb other junk.

Besides water changes, is there anything else I should be doing to help along with reducing/eliminating Nitrates?

This is just one guys opinion but it seams that your doing a lot to a tank that has nothing in it. ;)

I also believe (but I could be wrong here) that if you continue your tank with nothing in it then eventually you may take a step backwards. I'm concerned that you have a substantial amount of detritus when you started with dry rock. I also don't understand why at this point you have the need to deal with organics if you don't have any livestock and you have no coral to feed. QT your fish or frags or whatever for your determined time and get something in your tank already. I think your totally overthinking things with all the extravagant planning of the specialized dosing and feeding and ammonia and things. Remember your the guy that wanted to keep it simple? Just sayin.

It's possible that too much of a good thing could have devastating ramifications.

Why would you be struggling with nitrates on an empty tank?

This is just one guys opinion but it seams that your doing a lot to a tank that has nothing in it. ;)

I need to baby something! It's all I have for now. :P

I also believe (but I could be wrong here) that if you continue your tank with nothing in it then eventually you may take a step backwards.

You are somewhat right. If I wasn't dosing and the bacteria had nothing to "feed" on, then it would simply diminish to levels that wouldn't sustain much. The good news is that even with my mini-cycle that happened after the water change, it shows bacteria is present and working harder than ever. Good sign, but yes life needs to come soon!

I'm concerned that you have a substantial amount of detritus when you started with dry rock.

It wasn't too much, but I think there was still a lot of fine sand particles and broken down food trapped in the sand bed which contributed to it seeming like detritus. I think the fact that I now stopped feeding actual food just for the cycle will help keep things from accumulating like that again. Besides, the food was decomposing for over a month (i'll explain below)

I also don't understand why at this point you have the need to deal with organics if you don't have any livestock and you have no coral to feed.

Like I mentioned above it was the fact that I was feeding the tank daily. My ELOS ammonia test kit was a dud, and not reading ammonia. So like a dumb noob I figured "ADD MORE FOOD!" Of course... -_- Yea, that was a mistake :P

QT your fish or frags or whatever for your determined time and get something in your tank already. I think your totally overthinking things with all the extravagant planning of the specialized dosing and feeding and ammonia and things. Remember your the guy that wanted to keep it simple? Just sayin.

Ya I have to keep reminding myself about the "KISS rule" I don't know if anyone actually reads my posts but I mentioned twice already that I am going on Sunday to my LFS :) I plan to get a fish (stock depending) some inverts and possibly coral (depending if my orders come this week for the Coral QT)

Why would you be struggling with nitrates on an empty tank?

The noob issue with my food and dud test kit worked hand in hand here. That and no water changes for a month with all the food I added... Pretty much fixed now (almost) I have added filtration media and will be testing towards the end of the week for Nitrates and do one more water change prior to adding livestock. That should bring me to 0.

I agree! Put something alive in there already sheeeesh! :scarry:

Sunday can't come soon enough!

U don't have to be @ 0 nitrates you know. ;) Fish don't mind but low nitrates are ideal for delicate coral and reduce algae growth. But you will always start with some level of nitrates after you cycle.

U don't have to be @ 0 nitrates you know. ;) Fish don't mind but low nitrates are ideal for delicate coral and reduce algae growth. But you will always start with some level of nitrates after you cycle.

I'm still surprised I have no algae growth o_O I'd like it as close to 0 as possible. Last time I tested (yesterday) it was at 10. This was the next day after the water change. I guess just a good habit to get into. What's your experience with Chaeto as a Nitrate reducer? Do you think that would be something that has to be lit individually, or will my LED's be okay lighting it (minimal lighting spillover in overflow)?

edit: Spelling

I'm still surprised I have no algae growth o_O I'd like it as close to 0 as possible. Last time I tested (yesterday) it was at 10. This was the next day after the water change. I guess just a good habit to get into. What's your experience with CXhato as a Nitrate reducer? Do you think that would be something that has to be lit individually, or will my LED's be okay lighting it (minimal lighting spillover in overflow)?

With heavy feeding corals (including my sun coral) and very, very light feeding fish, coupled with weekly water changes I can not detect nitrates with my APT test kit on my Aquapod. I suspect it will be the same on my PicO after it matures. If your going exclusive SPS and intend to keep more difficult ones I'd look into a better low range nitrate test that can distinguish 0-10. I also have an older red sea test kit that can not detect nitrates in my Aquapod either but again, it's an older kit and it is not a low range nitrate kit either.

As for chaeto, not cxaeto it needs a strong light source to flourish and your LEDs would not be the ideal spectrum. I have a generous helping of chaeto in my Aquafuge 2 HOB refugium on my Aquapod and it is very well lit 24x7 with 18w T5s 6700 kelvin.

With heavy feeding corals (including my sun coral) and very, very light feeding fish, coupled with weekly water changes I can not detect nitrates with my APT test kit on my Aquapod. I suspect it will be the same on my PicO after it matures. If your going exclusive SPS and intend to keep more difficult ones I'd look into a better low range nitrate test that can distinguish 0-10. I also have an older red sea test kit that can not detect nitrates in my Aquapod either but again, it's an older kit and it is not a low range nitrate kit either.

Good to know. I know the majority of my Nitrate is from my feeding to start the cycle, and the fact that I was dosing ZEOfood7 for a bit as well. I'll be keeping my eye on it, but think I may try chaeto. I'll see if my LFS has it on Sunday. Besides, maybe i'll get a few pods in the mix :)

As for the test kits. I am using the ELOS Nitrate one, which does 0,1,2.5,5,10,25 Do you know of any other kits that can test lower more accurate amounts between lest say 0-5?

As for chaeto, not cxaeto it needs a strong light source to flourish and your LEDs would not be the ideal spectrum. I have a generous helping of chaeto in my Aquafuge 2 HOB refugium on my Aquapod and it is very well lit 24x7 with 18w T5s 6700 kelvin.

Whoops, that was a spelling error... MY BAD.

Just the reason i'm asking is I have read so many different points of view that it needs strong light, it needs no light, it needs to tumble, it doesn't need to tumble ... blah blah. I'm just trying to get some honest answers.

Thanks You :) I'll have to see what I can come up with, as this would be in one of my back overflows. I would prefer a small submersible light, which I have seen around. Looks like more research needed. Thanks for the response.

Archived